Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Engine code reset

Had to get my smog check on my 2011 SS in Cali. First one that's been required.
I had to take off my AirRaid cold air intake and reinstall the factory air box. Everything went fine, however, per the suggestion of AirRaid I disconnected the battery. The car ran fine no check engine light or anything. I drive the car about 3 miles to a smog inspection station I trust. They told me that some codes had not been reset and I needed to drive the car 30 miles or so then bring it back for a recheck. I paid $50 for the initial check and recheck is another $25. Don't want to go back, pay $25 and get the same story.
Will driving the car reset the codes?
Thanks
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
Maybe one of these will help you http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...uestid=4823353

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #3
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
If you disconnected the battery, then all of the OBD2 parameters were reset into Not Ready mode. The only way to get them all back into a Ready state is to drive around. 30 miles isn't going to do it though. Some of them (Evap) can take a week or two and several hundred miles.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
When you disconnected the battery all of the cars ready codes have to get ready again. It will vary by car, but keep driving it for a few days and the monitors should all go ready. By a scanner so you can check yourself
Old 08-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
You really didn't have to disconnect the battery. I had to smog my 2011 SS for the first time as well. I also have an "illegal' intake. I just swapped in the stock intake, drove to the smog check place then drove home and put then reswapped the intakes.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #6
Fogey

I was stupid or maybe just ignorant

Now know I didn't need to pull battery cable.
Since then, I've bought the OBD2 tool. Told me a short drive wouldn't do it, still detected no codes.
Dealer says I need to drive it at least 100 miles on the freeway as fast as I without shutting the engine off.
The rest of the story. Running out of time for DMV reg but found out I can pay the reg fee and the DMV will not charge a penalty but will withhold new reg papers and lic. Plate sticker. Auto Club Guys say to copy the check, the reg form and the smog thing in case I get pulled over before getting clear smog done.
Thanks for the advice from all.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
Jazzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
Now know I didn't need to pull battery cable.
Since then, I've bought the OBD2 tool. Told me a short drive wouldn't do it, still detected no codes.
Dealer says I need to drive it at least 100 miles on the freeway as fast as I without shutting the engine off.
The rest of the story. Running out of time for DMV reg but found out I can pay the reg fee and the DMV will not charge a penalty but will withhold new reg papers and lic. Plate sticker. Auto Club Guys say to copy the check, the reg form and the smog thing in case I get pulled over before getting clear smog done.
Thanks for the advice from all.
You can try to force the ready codes using the steps listed in the link below:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html
Old 08-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
Fogey

Update: First, I bought a scanner. The one linked above. It showed a flashing EV light and 0 dtc. Called the mfg. and they said this showed EVAC code had not reset. Dealer said I needed to drive the car "as fast as I could as far as I could". Because of an upcoming trip, by air, not driving, I really didn't have time. Looked at the info on forcing the codes and to do that in urban LA would be impossible.
When I first had the test done and failed, the smog place gave me a free retest certificate. Friday I stopped by to ask how long the cert was good for and they plugged their scanner in, said everything's cool, retested the car and it passed. I then plugged my scanner in and it still said the Evac had not reset. Thought maybe the scanner was no good so I have plugged it into four other cars and they all came up green.
End of story is that car passed smog, AirRaid has been reinstalled (WITHOUT DISCONNECTING BATTERY LOL), and all is good.
As to why scanner is doing what it's doing??
Old 08-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #9
Jazzzed

Quote:
Update: First, I bought a scanner. The one linked above. It showed a flashing EV light and 0 dtc. Called the mfg. and they said this showed EVAC code had not reset. Dealer said I needed to drive the car "as fast as I could as far as I could". Because of an upcoming trip, by air, not driving, I really didn't have time. Looked at the info on forcing the codes and to do that in urban LA would be impossible.
When I first had the test done and failed, the smog place gave me a free retest certificate. Friday I stopped by to ask how long the cert was good for and they plugged their scanner in, said everything's cool, retested the car and it passed. I then plugged my scanner in and it still said the Evac had not reset. Thought maybe the scanner was no good so I have plugged it into four other cars and they all came up green.
End of story is that car passed smog, AirRaid has been reinstalled (WITHOUT DISCONNECTING BATTERY LOL), and all is good.
As to why scanner is doing what it's doing??
Some states will allow you to pass with just one parameter in the Not Ready state. Not sure about California, but if so, then that might explain why they let you go without the Evap being ready.

Last edited by Jazzzed; 08-28-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #10
Low Saturn

Quote:
Update: First, I bought a scanner. The one linked above. It showed a flashing EV light and 0 dtc. Called the mfg. and they said this showed EVAC code had not reset. Dealer said I needed to drive the car "as fast as I could as far as I could"
Good that you finally got the car to pass. But that dealer is full of it. That's definitely not how to get the readiness monitors to complete.

For future reference if needed:
http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html
Old 08-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #11
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
Some states will allow you to pass with just one parameter in the Not Ready state. Not sure about California, but if so, then that might explain why they let you go without the Evac being ready.
California requires that all readiness monitors be completed.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:59 AM   #12
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
your deal sounded like he was setting you up " Dealer said I needed to drive the car "as fast as I could as far as I could"." Who says that, someone robbing a bank. LOL
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote