Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Would you buy one of these theoretical Camaros?
Absolutely! 23 30.67%
I would consider it. 37 49.33%
Definitely not. 15 20.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2008, 01:38 AM   #29
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
If I hadn't been wanting a throaty "gas-guzzling" V8 that makes environmentalists go mad, I would have settled for a prius already.. If all that GM offered was a supercharged V6, I would go with a Dodge Challenger SRT8 with a Hemi in it..I'm sure GM would do just fine with those changes and might even appeal to a larger "tuner" audience.. However they will lose many of the old-school V8 die-hards in the process.. Camaro heritage would go out the door...
What he's trying to say is that he (and I, too) can see a day when the V8 will no longer be the staple of the pony car like it once was. Meaning Mustang GT - V6. Challenger and Charger SRT6 instead of SRT8.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #30
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
What he's trying to say is that he (and I, too) can see a day when the V8 will no longer be the staple of the pony car like it once was. Meaning Mustang GT - V6. Challenger and Charger SRT6 instead of SRT8.
- Xanthos
I also see a day when it is all electric (or a mixture of electric/solar) and no gas of any kind.. However at the moment, as long as petroleum is king and the life blood of our economy.. I don't see the need for getting rid of the V8 unless gas hits $10 a gallon.. Then bye bye

I can also envision a day when we all have flying cars that drive themselves like in the Jetson's. It is entirely possible as well but impractical and with the economy the way it is it won't be implemented since it would cost a fortune to change the current public transportation system to accommodate landings and takeoffs, let alone regulate people throwing stuff out of their vehicles and having them land on people. I do not see non-flying car's driving themselves as too many errors can occur by the computers that could be deadly when a car is on the road. Current GPS's get outdated and give bad directions already once roads change or new ones are built. However some good technology are sensors that detect if you're going to hit something backing up and the car stopping automatically. This is something we already have available yet it is not implemented in the majority of the vehicles.. It is going to take many years before we lessen accidents until they are a rarity.. I know I took this point off-topic with ramblings.. It's late..
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:49 AM   #31
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinCamaro View Post
I'd love to see a car like that, but not named Camaro. If the Camaro is not RWD, 2 door, front engine, V8, I'd rather Chevy move on and let the Camaro go.

Look at how hard its been convincing the purists that the 5th gen is true to the Camaro name. I think it would be easier to retire the name than to alienate their core audience.

Great post!
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:49 AM   #32
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Yeah, well, the thread title is "what if?" after all...
- Xanthos

P.S. - I want my flying, 800 hp, electric jetson's camaro, dang it!

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:51 AM   #33
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KZ28_For_Now View Post
(like I said, --this says it in a completely different way-- it seems as if they are trying too hard to unite two different buyer segments with the same vehicle -- some adjustments need to be made).

Good post.
That sums up exactly how I feel! You hit the nail right on the head!
Old 07-24-2008, 01:53 AM   #34
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Yeah, well, the thread title is "what if?" after all...
- Xanthos

P.S. - I want my flying, 800 hp, electric jetson's camaro, dang it!
New 2020 800HP all electric solar powered Camaro to appear in the first Jetson's movie.
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:57 AM   #35
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
New 2020 800HP all electric solar powered Camaro to appear in the first Jetson's movie.

Y'all 'er funny!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #36
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Let's play this game for a moment. I'll preface by saying that I'm as much a muscle-car enthusiast as the next person. I don't want to hear anything but a V8 rumble coming out of my car (or close to it), and I LIKE the feeling of torque that I detect with my butt-dyno.

But I'm also a bit of a forward thinker...and I mentioned in another thread that the Genises coupe got me thinking; so...

__________________________________________________ _______

Sometimes...I wonder if the V8(and all it's required structural reinforcements) isn't holding the Camaro back. I love a throaty, fire-breathing V8 as much as the next muscle-car diehard...but the thought has been crossing my mind lately. I wonder if it was a Turbo 4, and V6-only vehicle....could the Camaro become something along these lines:

Think about a 3450lb, 220hp Turbo-4 cylinder. 30mpg+, and performance slightly lower than the current 2010 V6 model.

Then a 3600lb, 380+hp Turbo-V6. Performance at or above the 2010 SS with proper gearing, etc. And it returns an impressive 27+mpg.

The vehicle would be slightly smaller than what we're getting. No bigger than the Mustang to be sure. It would be a thoroughly modern powertrain. It would be a representation of the times by moving away from the V8 to take advantage of lighter, more potent powerplants. But would you all buy it? If it looked like the 2010 Camaro, sounded like the 2010 Camaro, was chalk full of all the promised techno-gadgets, and cost no more than what we're expecting for it?? Would any of you opt for a V6-powered SS?

EDIT: I realize we aren't even driving our 2010, yet...but think about it.....

I to feel the days of the big V8s is coming close to an end! To me this IS my

one and only chance to grab a car that I will love till the end of time. Become

an heirloom to my kids, that is why a top of the line Z28 coming out soon is so

important to me. THIS MAY REALLY BE MY ONLY CHANCE TO SCOOP THIS

OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:19 AM   #37
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
A Camaro is a Camaro is a Camaro. I'd buy one even if I had to petal the thing. There is nothing like the V8 though. I think forward as well. I'm studying the economy in my MBA classes, markets, trends, you name it. Do I understand it all yet, no. But I can make some sense of it. I made a bold prediction about gas a few months back. I now take a diferent approach.

America has an Image. We have made it waded through a thick Soccer Mom SUV fad that is really taking a beating now. The Fast and Furious, i.e. ricers, I4, turbos, are still getting bought. As for SUVs though demand has, for obvious reasons, declined significantly. Here is where I don't it's fair to put the gas guzzler tax on Muscle cars or hi-po cars and then not for those big honking SUVs. I think biggest Automotive inovation, greatest invention, whatever you want to put it, is the V8. No matter who makes it. Every year it get more efficient and more powerful.

HOWEVER, The world is changing. This may be the end of the Soccer mom SUV image era. There will always be demand for High Porformance cars.

Image is everything here in this country. We'll start packing into our 4-banger cross overs and get used to the new milenium station wagons, hybrid turds, Stupid Smart Cars. But there will always be demand for the good old V8.

I could see Dragon's vision. It would still be a Camaro in my eyes. But fear not. The world adjusts. 10-20 years from now, maybe sooner. You will see some sort of comeback for the SUV. Just as we have seen for the Muscle Cars. Remember the Gas Milage that those old Chargers and Shelbies and Camaros were getting. Wasn't it like something like 10 mpg? I'm exagerating. I'm just thinking V8's always rise from the ashes some how. But its not the end of muscle cars. Just the end of SUVs. Hey, what about putting these 4 bangers in SUVs? Why do the Camaros have to take it in the rear? Inovation is just around the corner.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:21 AM   #38
2KZ28_For_Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 View Post
I to feel the days of the big V8s is coming close to an end! To me this IS my

one and only chance to grab a car that I will love till the end of time. Become

an heirloom to my kids, that is why a top of the line Z28 coming out soon is so

important to me. THIS MAY REALLY BE MY ONLY CHANCE TO SCOOP THIS

OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR!
I appreciate your passion. And, I think "your car" WILL be made. It's all semantics (pricing, timing, dealer support <no markups>) from there.

I look forward to your letting us all know about how you love your heirloom! HERITAGE!!!!!! This word has much weight.

The Camaro team feels it. Its just a matter of whether or not economic, political, and CXO support allows it to happen.

I think it will. This IS the last hurrah of "traditional" high-HP vehicles. Like it or not.

Grab 'em while they are available. Enjoy 'em. And, thank those that made them available. PLEASE.

KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE!! http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5191
Old 07-24-2008, 03:19 AM   #39
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Yep...was just about to say....

What if GM dropped in a 5.0 liter Gen V that put out 500hp in a 3,000 lb car that was 20K. There ya go!!!

I hear ya Dragon....but I just don't know. I like my simple V8...there's just something about turbos for me.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:56 AM   #40
2KZ28_For_Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Yep...was just about to say....

What if GM dropped in a 5.0 liter Gen V that put out 500hp in a 3,000 lb car that was 20K. There ya go!!!

I hear ya Dragon....but I just don't know. I like my simple V8...there's just something about turbos for me.
There's just something about simplicity.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:44 AM   #41
GOT PSI

Drives: SRT-4
If it had to be done in order for the name to survive so be it. I'm glad I'm here now and able to get V8.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:57 AM   #42
asrapid

Drives: Stratus
if the car is light i don't mind (but i'm from Europe so we are more accustom to 4 cylinders engine here...actually v8 are very rare here)
Something like this lineup would work

2.0 l i4 260+ hp
v6 3.6 l 330 +hp
v6 TT 430 hp
and for top of the model (z28) gen V ..with 5.0 l displacements... and turbochargers if needed..you pick power ratings

If i'm not mistaking z28 in '60 has 5.0 l V8 which can rev beyond 7500 rpm. :-)
asrapid is offline   Reply With Quote