Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #561
TheBlack-CyberGray-Pearl

Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray Camaro
I've asked this a few times in a few different places but never really got an answer... so i'm going to try again

Does the ghost cam have any negative aspects to it??

Will it effect your car/ the engine or anything/ in anyway over the course of the cars life??

I understand it does nothing performance wise, but i like it lol. So i'm going to add it with my tune unless there is anything that may cause ANY type of unnecessary deterioration over time.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2017, 03:06 AM   #562
Starfall
1bad6

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlack-CyberGray-Pearl View Post
I've asked this a few times in a few different places but never really got an answer... so i'm going to try again

Does the ghost cam have any negative aspects to it??

Will it effect your car/ the engine or anything/ in anyway over the course of the cars life??

I understand it does nothing performance wise, but i like it lol. So i'm going to add it with my tune unless there is anything that may cause ANY type of unnecessary deterioration over time.

Thanks!

I'm wondering this too because i'll be buying this tune soon, i've heard someone say it's bad for your engine after a few years of running the ghost cam, i hate to bump a 2012 last reply thread but could someone please verify for me
Starfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:33 AM   #563
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
I'm wondering this too because i'll be buying this tune soon, i've heard someone say it's bad for your engine after a few years of running the ghost cam, i hate to bump a 2012 last reply thread but could someone please verify for me
I wouldn't see any negative effects to the engine, as it "electronically" mimics a more aggressive came. The only problem I would see, is how fast the car can "regroup" when you hit the gas from idle.

I was going to attempt this with mine, but I'm afraid of messing with the cam timing.

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #564
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
People are still buying these stupid ghost cam tunes?
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:42 AM   #565
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #566
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
I read that in a thread a while ago as well. The person that claimed that was a tuner i think.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #567
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reichler View Post
People are still buying these stupid ghost cam tunes?
I don't get it either. It offers no performance benefit and makes your V6 sound like it has a clogged injector.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #568
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
OK, Answer for you, I have Trifecta Tune With Ghost Cam, Love the Tune, And the Ghost Cam can be turned off and most of the time it is Turned off. I've had both for at least Four years with no problem. You can turn it on and off with the cruise control button.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #569
Reichler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
I don't get it either. It offers no performance benefit and makes your V6 sound like it has a clogged injector.
Yup. It's a poser mod.

Even then, I can't stand seeing guys with V8's wanting a cam that "chops" the hardest and makes the most (read peak) power.

That's not how you pick out a cam. You pick it out for your specific application and how and where you drive the car. How the car sounds afterwards is a side benefit.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #570
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Yup. It's a poser mod.

Even then, I can't stand seeing guys with V8's wanting a cam that "chops" the hardest and makes the most (read peak) power.

That's not how you pick out a cam. You pick it out for your specific application and how and where you drive the car. How the car sounds afterwards is a side benefit.
What if the specific application is to “chop” hard make the most power?
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #571
Reichler

My last 2 sentences still apply. You don't pick a sound; you pick a cam for your specific goals. How the car sounds when you've met your goals is how it will sound. If that means the car is going to barely want to idle due to the overlap of the cam (chop), then that's how it's going it idle based upon how you've set the car up for power.

Choosing a cam for the sound is the dumbest thing you can ever do. Sure, it may sound good at idle, but it could be a pain in the ass to drive, or it may have no guts till you get towards the upper RPM range. Both of them are terrible for around town driving.

The key to picking a cam is finding where you spend most of the time driving (rpm), how and where you drive, and your specific mods. You then choose a cam that fits those criteria. Peak power numbers is for dick swingers and certain racers. The other 99% should be focusing on picking a cam that will give you the most usable power.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:45 AM   #572
Starfall
1bad6

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
My last 2 sentences still apply. You don't pick a sound; you pick a cam for your specific goals. How the car sounds when you've met your goals is how it will sound. If that means the car is going to barely want to idle due to the overlap of the cam (chop), then that's how it's going it idle based upon how you've set the car up for power.

Choosing a cam for the sound is the dumbest thing you can ever do. Sure, it may sound good at idle, but it could be a pain in the ass to drive, or it may have no guts till you get towards the upper RPM range. Both of them are terrible for around town driving.

The key to picking a cam is finding where you spend most of the time driving (rpm), how and where you drive, and your specific mods. You then choose a cam that fits those criteria. Peak power numbers is for dick swingers and certain racers. The other 99% should be focusing on picking a cam that will give you the most usable power.
Who asked for your opinion though
Starfall is offline   Reply With Quote