Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Paint chips, just a question

Hey everyone, I've had my car for about 4 months now and I drive it a lot. I've put on about 3,350 miles so far and am starting to notice a lot of chips. These are on the normal places for the most part, front bumper and gill area but it seems that everytime I wash her I find another, on the the hood, on the front fenders, etc.

Here's where my question comes in, this is my first new car. I've owned many cars but it was normally at the end of their life and I wasn't too concerned about their appearance, lol. Is this kind of chipping "normal"? I know that not driving it as much would lessen the amount of damage as would a clear bra but I'm not a fan of the lines a clear bra leaves and I love driving this car waaayyy to much to park her 6 days a week.

So as a new car owner who never payed attention to chips in the past... hell who am I kidding unless you took a sledgehammer to my previous cars I'd never notice, lol. Is this chipping par for the course? If so she's going to need a paint job in the next 10-15 years (2-tone time? ) so she doesn't look like someone took a shotgun to her, lol.

Thanks, and this is not a bitch because as I said I know the steps I can take but they are not worth it when driving her is soo much fun. .

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
From reading past threads discussing chips on 5th Gens., the concensus seems to believe the paint may be the problem.

I tend to think it's more of the design of the car, ie; the front has alot of "blunt" area's, which would be more susceptible to "road rash".

Either way, every car, at some point, will get a chip(s), it's just a fact of life. I prefer to use factory touch-up for my SS, and if applied right, they're almost unnoticeable.

Enjoy your car, touch up the chips when they happen...simple as that!

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Heliwrench

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS
New water based auto paints tend to be weak. Especially this one

A porter cable and some adams products can go a long way in getting rid of minor clear coat chips and damage but if the paint is actually missing you may want to head to your dealer and pick up some touch up paint.

Refer to this video:
Part 1 and 2.

I'm about to do this, as my black has been beaten and scarred from a summer of road trips and abuse, time to give it the adams work-over again.
Suspension: BMR Trailing Arms and Bushings, FE6 Swaybar Conversion With Pedders 27mm Front and 32mm Rear ZL1 Swaybars and Links
Chassis: Hotchkis Chassis Max Brace, BMR Pro Cradle Bushings
Exterior:: Shine by Adam's.
...and plenty more
Heliwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
daphatgrant
June '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliwrench View Post
New water based auto paints tend to be weak. Especially this one

A porter cable and some adams products can go a long way in getting rid of minor clear coat chips and damage but if the paint is actually missing you may want to head to your dealer and pick up some touch up paint.

Refer to this video:
Part 1 and 2.

I'm about to do this, as my black has been beaten and scarred from a summer of road trips and abuse, time to give it the adams work-over again.
Awesome videos man!

Old 09-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
cplhester

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Manual
Buy the gm painted splash guards I did this and 0 chips since
cplhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
daphatgrant
June '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplhester View Post
Buy the gm painted splash guards I did this and 0 chips since
I bought them before I bought the car, lol. I'm sure they have saved my car quite a few times. I live in a "city" 50,000 people or so so most of my driving is done on "paved" roads, some of them need some major repair.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
same here, I put splash guards to eliminate gill chips, I use drcolorchip system for a good 85% repair, just follow the directions and don't be in a hurry, I wait at least 1 hour to perform last step
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
weaklt1

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS, 2002 SS Annivers
I had many, many new 4 th gens and the paint was much more durable than it is on the 5th gens. My 1995 z 's paint still looks great and it's 15 years old.
weaklt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaklt1 View Post
I had many, many new 4 th gens and the paint was much more durable than it is on the 5th gens. My 1995 z 's paint still looks great and it's 15 years old.
yah ive had many camaros as well but this one seems to be real weak ... ive had my car for a year and 4 months and if i take my nail and push on the clear it sinks into it what gives ?!
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote