Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
jth6373

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS
question about polishing after body work

my aunt in law backed into my parked car and kept going even after she made contact(She claimed %100 percent as her fault so although I was upset I wasnt to mad). So around labor day weekend I got my passenger door panel, fender and mirror replaced. My quarter panel was also repainted. This was all done by a reputable body shop and they told me that I can not wash or wax the car for at least sixty days. Actually, when I came to pick up the car they said they did just do a quick wash. Now, after not washing the car and some rain spots and dust are on the car I noticed swirl marks on the new body pieces. I would think that the paint and clearcoat would have cured after 3 week so can I just wash, polish, wax? I recently purchases adams machine polishing kit so I am excited to use it.
jth6373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
You can wash, no problem. But it's a good idea to wait at least 30 days to seal paint. Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
WAIT.....for two reasons.....as stated above, give the paint time to cure and harden, two is you don't, and something goes wrong, its all on you, as teh body shop told you to wait the 30 days.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:55 AM   #4
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
well if the body shop was that good then they would have cured your paint.

i mean only time i have heard do not wash or wax your car back from a shop is like a macco shop. i have had my tc in the shop a few times because of people hitting it and never was i told not to touch it, prorper paint booths will have a light that helps cure the paint. sorry i do not have the words since i am not a painter.

but if your guy said to wait then i would wait and just make sure knowbody touches your car while its dusty
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #5
ProstZ28

Drives: 79 Pro Street Z28,2010 2SS RS
its ok to wash the car just hand or touchless car wash ,no machine wash that will scratch the fresh paint ,the paint is dry but it still needs to cure , so do not wax or seal the paint ,that will stop it from curing. its ok to use a good polish like 3m brand but no wax!!!!!!! or sealers !!!!!! we use ppg paint products at work and its recomended to not wax for 90 days but i think 60 days is ok. a good polish will remove the swirl marks .
CARBON FIBER LOOK EMBLEM OVERLAYS,
SIDE MARKER & REVERSE LAMP BLACK-OUT
20% TINT ON ALL GLASS EXCEPT W/SHIELD
NL PERFORMANCE DOVETAIL SPOILER,
GM HERITAGE PAINTED GRILLE'
MORE TO COME!!!!
ProstZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post

i mean only time i have heard do not wash or wax your car back from a shop is like a macco shop
. i have had my tc in the shop a few times because of people hitting it and never was i told not to touch it, prorper paint booths will have a light that helps cure the paint. sorry i do not have the words since i am not a painter.

but if your guy said to wait then i would wait and just make sure knowbody touches your car while its dusty
No, that's ridiculous. I've had work done at GM body shops and they bake the paint, and STILL tell you to wait 30 days. 60 is a little excessive IMO, but what's the harm in waiting one more week, OP? You've already waited 3 weeks.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post
Baking the paint doesn't help.

Even baked, the chemicals in the paint will still emit gases for a couple weeks that if trapped under a coat of wax can and will cause irreparable damage to the paint. You should still wait 30 days before you apply any wax if the paint was baked. On unbaked paint you should wait 60 days in warm weather and 90 days on colder weather.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
i understand what you guys are saying cause i have heard of that before.

i was just saying cause the one shop i have gone to many times explained to me about how they cure the paint, and told me just not to wash or wax for the first two weeks. but to i forgot about winter days so that there is another mistake i made with my first post.

i do agree 90 days is excessive. and i think 30 is still long to unless it was winter
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote