Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #127
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbee View Post
Sounds good,almost like mrt v1 vs v2 as far as loudness, but I'm more partial to yours,less rasp and just don't like em to loud for my sedate tastes. Wonder what a resonated x would sound like on it?
A resonated x would make it even more mellow, and quieter. Might sound pretty decent actually, slightly louder than stock, and not as aggressive as ours.

As far as the loudness of them, thats all personal taste. Although his may be a bit more raspy, which I believe is from the resonator delete, it atleast sounds good for as loud as it is. I actually really like demon hunters, its more "in your face sucka!" Some of the really loud V6 exhausts for our cars sound absolutely horrible. These atleast keep the rumble, and will def turn some heads. We actually had a few come out and watch us zip up and down the streets while filming, was pretty cool(until the cop flashed her badge at me..lol) I would like to have mine a little bit louder, and maybe some headers can help with that. the good thing is, it can be loud, but there is still hardly any drone.Cant say that about a lot of the other exhausts out there, the ones that are really loud anyway.

I personally think these mufflers give the best of both, great sound and minimal drone, and decently priced. Im willing to bet if you heard it in person, you would really like it.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #128
SDCamaro10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
blackbee I agree with your statement, and I'd also like to know about the res-X as well. Unfortuently we'll never know till someone does it! lol

Great vids. I have a good quality PC sound system and was hoping to hear more of the low tones of the system, but the mic didn't seem to pick that up for whatever reason.

Would love to see more vids for other buyers as well.
I have a really good pair of headphones and i think the low tones came out decently. The wind was blowing pretty bad too, we had to try and block the wind a few times so im sure that didnt help.

I bet the res x would sound awesome. who wants to be a guinnea pig? lol.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #129
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCamaro10 View Post
A resonated x would make it even more mellow, and quieter. Might sound pretty decent actually, slightly louder than stock, and not as aggressive as ours.

As far as the loudness of them, thats all personal taste. Although his may be a bit more raspy, which I believe is from the resonator delete, it atleast sounds good for as loud as it is. I actually really like demon hunters, its more "in your face sucka!" Some of the really loud V6 exhausts for our cars sound absolutely horrible. These atleast keep the rumble, and will def turn some heads. We actually had a few come out and watch us zip up and down the streets while filming, was pretty cool(until the cop flashed her badge at me..lol) I would like to have mine a little bit louder, and maybe some headers can help with that. the good thing is, it can be loud, but there is still hardly any drone.Cant say that about a lot of the other exhausts out there, the ones that are really loud anyway.

I personally think these mufflers give the best of both, great sound and minimal drone, and decently priced. Im willing to bet if you heard it in person, you would really like it.
I agree with the res delete on the rasp and the rest,don't know about the headers, mine seemed to quite things down a bit but a little more defined roar to it when on the gas. I like the less drone, wonder what the Gibsons would be like on my car in place of the magnaflows? I would like more"v8" burble but wouldn't want the res x pipe to hurt that if it mellows it to much.Do need to here your setup in person.
I don't think I will be trying a swap anytime soon though. The springs,sways, align and install Friday is it for me for Xmas and beyond

On another drone note, I switched back to 91 octane and so far around town it got more quiet again! I will be driving alot this weekend and will see if the drone went back to "normal"
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #130
SDCamaro10

Quote:
On another drone note, I switched back to 91 octane and so far around town it got more quiet again! I will be driving alot this weekend and will see if the drone went back to "normal"
Interesting. I wonder if its because of the timing? the lower grade gas often causes the knock sensors to retard the timing, where as the higher grade gas does not. Dunno.. i may experiment with that too.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #131
SDCamaro10

Here is another clip i took from my drive way, trying to catch more of the idle. This was taken before the other clips were filmed, prior to my new microphone. Dont mind the diffuser, lol. My magnaflows did that and will be replaced shortly.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #132
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Interesting. I wonder if its because of the timing? the lower grade gas often causes the knock sensors to retard the timing, where as the higher grade gas does not. Dunno.. i may experiment with that too.
It's almost as if the car became leaner with the 87.Leaner alot of times gets louder also and maybe with this intake/ exhaust combo it's is leaning somewhat. Just don't know how using 91 and the resulting timing advance would make it more quiet or richer. Unless the new winter fuels are leaner do to more oxygination, or the 87 anyway
Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 AM   #133
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Here is another clip i took from my drive way, trying to catch more of the idle. This was taken before the other clips were filmed, prior to my new microphone. Dont mind the diffuser, lol. My magnaflows did that and will be replaced shortly.

Sounds good, has more of a defined, more clear sound compared to the magnaflows, and more rumble.Mine at idle now has a low whoomp whoomp sound and sounds great but rev it like you did and is missing rumble and more a low "v6 honking" sound, not raspy and tinny but lower and deeper, somewhat muffled.But get on it from 3000 rpm on up and is close to perfect imo. Get the rumble and would be perfect or close.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #134
Demon Hunter

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LT
Quote:
I agree with the res delete on the rasp and the rest,don't know about the headers, mine seemed to quite things down a bit but a little more defined roar to it when on the gas. I like the less drone, wonder what the Gibsons would be like on my car in place of the magnaflows? I would like more"v8" burble but wouldn't want the res x pipe to hurt that if it mellows it to much.Do need to here your setup in person.
I don't think I will be trying a swap anytime soon though. The springs,sways, align and install Friday is it for me for Xmas and beyond

The resonator delete definitely gave it some raspyness, but I don't mind because I wanted it to be louder and more in your face and it definitely is that. Once the system is warmed up a lot of the raspyness goes away and it has a nice throaty sound to it. This is definitely a system you need to hear in person. Even the better mic still doesn't do the low rumble it has justice. The people that like the more mellow smooth sound will definitely love SDCamaro's set-up. To me it has almost no rasp to it at all & it sounds good when you go WOT. But I just love how loud mine is it definitely sounds mean & I get good comments on it all the time. I just cant wait to add a set off headers to it and really hear how this bad boy comes alive.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #135
Demon Hunter

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LT
Quote:

Great vid. It definitely catches the rumble of the idle a lot better than the other vid. I'll add it to the op.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #136
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Hunter View Post
The resonator delete definitely gave it some raspyness, but I don't mind because I wanted it to be louder and more in your face and it definitely is that. Once the system is warmed up a lot of the raspyness goes away and it has a nice throaty sound to it. This is definitely a system you need to hear in person. Even the better mic still doesn't do the low rumble it has justice. The people that like the more mellow smooth sound will definitely love SDCamaro's set-up. To me it has almost no rasp to it at all & it sounds good when you go WOT. But I just love how loud mine is it definitely sounds mean & I get good comments on it all the time. I just cant wait to add a set off headers to it and really hear how this bad boy comes alive.
I'd like to hear both, maybe someday. I think SD's rasp is from the tru x pipe as they do that.If stock and no x pipe would probably have no rasp Res x may not be needed or to just muffle down a bit if desired.I do prefer the rumble vs the Magnaflows monotone smooth sound and low rpm to 3000 v6 honk. We seem to have a choice of either have raspy rice or deep and low but still v6. The rumble would be nice to have for a change. I will watch and listen to future vids and may try it next year but as I said before the new suspension sucked up the allowable funds for now.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #137
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Still evaluating the drone/sound issue. This am it is definately less on both with the 91, more like it was before the 87. It has to be do to the octane change as nothing else has changed. My other theory I forgot to mention is that if 91 burns slower and allows timing advance, maybe the slow burn changes the sound also compared to the faster burn 87
Old 11-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #138
SDCamaro10

Quote:
I'd like to hear both, maybe someday. I think SD's rasp is from the tru x pipe as they do that.If stock and no x pipe would probably have no rasp Res x may not be needed or to just muffle down a bit if desired.I do prefer the rumble vs the Magnaflows monotone smooth sound and low rpm to 3000 v6 honk. We seem to have a choice of either have raspy rice or deep and low but still v6. The rumble would be nice to have for a change. I will watch and listen to future vids and may try it next year but as I said before the new suspension sucked up the allowable funds for now.
Right, the rasp is coming from the TRU-X. I heard Demon hunters car when it had ONLY the exhaust and no other mods and it sounded terrific, with no rasp. That was when i was debating about switching back to the H-pipe.

After having demon hunter drive my car, the only rasp i heard was during hard revs at idle. I dont hear any rasp while driving. If I were to add long tube headers, i would probably add the resonated x. I dont really see a need for a res. x if all you have is the mufflers and maybe an intake or whatever. Its pretty tame as it is.

I know what you mean about the monotone sound, my magnaflows would do the same thing, but would sound pretty nice during WOT. I wonder if maybe the magnaflows are just too free flowing.

If you want to meet up sometime, at one of the meets, or next time you come down this way let me know and I can meet you somewhere so you can hear it in person.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #139
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
I like it but it's Aluminum it will rust sometime in th future

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #140
SDCamaro10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyk-NO View Post
I like it but it's Aluminum it will rust sometime in th future
There is a stainless version as well thats a few bucks more. I have the stainless on mine, but it does NOT come polished.