Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #351
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partick View Post
Wow! Take a pill, it was light hearted comment. Sounds like YOU are the one who has a problem with this being a public forum where people can chime in on the subject. If YOU don't like what I have to say maybe YOU should leave!
Yeah I was a little punchy early this morning. Sorry about that, it's funny how you read something and take it one way, get 8 hours sleep and read it again and you read it a different way LMAO.
I guess I was partial upset that I was also searching for work at the same time I was reading this thread and found nothing so I took it personally. My opinion still stands, just the manner in which i delivered it does not.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #352
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
i dont want to be mean, but those people shouldn't have those jobs anyway. I know it sounds like a dick comment during a down turn in our economy but its the truth. Technology has long ago replaced whatever it is they do all day. I wonder how much they get paid and what a typical onstar rep day is like. But part of the reason i have 2 GM cars now is because i do love my country and we dont make shit here anymore and soon we will pay for this. Funny thing is, i traded my honda that was actually built in america (oddly enough), for my camaro that was built in canada. Go figure. no disrespect to Canadians.
Yeah don't get me started on this topic... If we went to world war again, our manufaturing capabilities are all over seas... that wont work out so well actually. I think it's a matter of time before we get some overseas onstar reps that we can't understand over the onstar link... great I can see it now were yelling at our car telling them where we want to go and people looking at us saying WTF is that guy doing? HAAA.

Good idea though if the app allowed you to input an address and have it send the directions to the car... someone mentioned that earlier I believe that would be awesome!
Old 10-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #353
Camaro4Life2011

Drives: Black Camaro 2LT RS with Sunroof
thought some people might find this a little funny lol:

Jason: Hi i have a question about the onstar mobile app that recently came out for the 2011 camaro
Jason: I have a blackberry not a droid or iphone
Jason: i was wondering if you know or could find out if and if so when it is coming out for blackberry
Jason: or if you knew how i could find out
Bill Z: At this time, the technology has been validated on the iPhone (including the new iPhone 4) and the Android mobile OS (including the Droid, Droid Incredible and new Droid X).
Bill Z: More information to come at a future date, unfortunately, at this time we have no additional information to provide.
Jason: booo
Jason: ite thanks
Camaro4Life2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #354
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
[edit: for anyone who didnt see my original post, this is about onstar and not specifically the app]

There are many. Ill list a few.

1. Its a backwards system built to suck money from you. Its like they specifically set out to take existing technology that does not require a subscription and build a subscription model around it. I hate this.

2. Calling someone to get gps directions sent to my car is retarded, this is the main reason i say the system is ass backwards. The ability to send directions from google or mapquest makes it less a pain, but still sucks. Why cant i do this from my phone? I would of thought they would of did this for there app, but its not there. Its like its built for seniors who are technophobes. There have also been quite a few instances where calling them for gps was absolutely useless, where the person tells me im too close to the destination i want to go to for the system to route me. This was a complete joke to me. I was actually lost, took a wrong turn, and although i was literally within 3 miles of my destination they claim they couldn't route me. bs.

3. The system is dated and feels dated. I only have two GM cars to go by, My Camaro and my girls malibu, neither have a dedicated screen for GPS with visible maps and tech wise they both are missing the mark by a huge margin. Ill give the malibu a break cuz its not a car that i would ever buy for myself, but there are other cars in the same segment from other manufactures that have better tech.

4. Outdated maps. Ive called a few times to get directions to places i allready know how to get to, just to build confidence in the gps mapping, so i wont feel like i cant depend on it when i actually need it. Fail. There is an entire highway missing that i drive everyday. Granted its a new extension to an existing highway, onstar must be the last one to get the updates cuz it shows up literally on every other gps app ive tested, and ive tested a lot. garmin, tom tom, google maps, navigon, mapquest, gps apps on my iphone etc etc. Onstar is the only one who thinks this highway dosent exist. And thats not the only highway. I was on I55 (illinois) and for some reason the guy on the phone is telling me to drive somewhere else and call back because the road im on is not in there system. Hu? This road is older than me. So when ever i go anywhere now, i make sure i have multiple backup gps systems because i have no confidence in onstar.

5. relying on an active phone connection for your system to work is also a huge down point. You can be in no service area, have a solid gps signal and still unable to be routed. With dedicated maps this would be one less thing to worry about.

6. Pricing. If you keep your car for 5 years, onstar cost 1500 bucks. Stop paying and you loose your gps etc. Even though the gps device in the car is mine, still works, its useless. Its like they are holding it ransom.
Now other cars have a similar price for adding navigation systems, but at the end of the day, its mine and i dont have to pay them another dime if i dont want to and the system will still work. Its not like new roads pop up every other week and 5 years later it wont work anymore. To me this is a deliberate ripoff. No wonder they stick it in every car, they know it will generate money for years after the car is paid off. Its a smart business move, but as a consumer its just another way to dick me around.

now i dont want to be 100% negative, there are some things about onstar that really is nice but im sure everyone already knows exactly what those things are because they are the main reason anyone paying for it justifies in keeping the system.
Automatic crash response. Its nice to know if im about to die the system can actually assist in saving my life. There is no price you can put on that. I like living! And as far as i know, no one else offers anything like that. Although ive heard some bad things about onstars response time when you do get into an accident, but not enough to say its a problem.
Remote ignition block/vehicle slow down. This is a great feature to have also if your car ever gets stolen. But can someone explain to me why this feature is not available on the V6 camaro? Only on the SS. Its nice to know any prospective car thives will take one look at my car and notice its not an SS and leave it alone. hidden feature take that ss drivers lol.
They should break these two features off into there own onstar plan and price it cheaper cuz all the other features are not worth it.

This is just my opinion, im sure there is someone else loves the whole system, and everytime they push that blue button they think magic is happening. Im just not that person.

The system has potential, and it seems GM is slowly moving there arrow in somewhat the right direction. But at such a snails pace they will remain perpetually behind the curve, and down the block.
2. I just called them in your exact instance and I was less than 1/2 mile away from my destination and they routed me no problem. Maybe you just got a bad rep but mine did it for me no problem.

3. What is the big deal with having a screen in the dash. It is for styling reasons, and besides having the directional display in the DIC it shows you everything you could need to know about where you are going, and its right in front of you (or on the HUD) so you don't have to look away from what you're supposed to be doing which is DRIVING. This is a cop out to just wanting your dash to look more "techy". The tech is well integrated and it works fine (IMO) you don't need a big pretty screen, it does what its supposed to do, get you where you need to go.

4. I was just up in middle of nowhere VT and NH and OnStar perfectly guided me on random single lane dirt roads in the woods. Not once did it get confused or lost. I guess some parts of the country are better covered than others.

5. I task you to find an area it doesn't work. It uses Verizons phone service and basically anywhere there is a road there is coverage (they have 98% of the country covered). If you're underground a handheld GPS isn't gonna work either.

6. Youre right the cost is higher than a dedicated GPS but there is a lot more to the service.

They have a plan like you describe its $18.95 a month. Navigation is only an extra $10 but you need the base $18.95 plan to get it. They are always cutting deals. I paid $250 for the year and IMO well worth it. If you wanted to pay for a GPS based vehicle disablement/recovery service you would have to pay to install the equipment (over $500) and then a monthly service charge as well. Plus you have diagnostics, crash assistance, and many other things that other products don't have. Its a whole suite of valuable services. Most navigation systems pre-installed in cars the option is between $750 and $1500, then if you want to update the maps many times you have to pay for the updates.

Do the math and do some research you will find OnStar is not that bad of a deal, which is why people do subscribe and use it every day and its still around after all these years. If it was really bleeding cash it would have been dumped in the restructuring like GMAC.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #355
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
2. I just called them in your exact instance and I was less than 1/2 mile away from my destination and they routed me no problem. Maybe you just got a bad rep but mine did it for me no problem.

3. What is the big deal with having a screen in the dash. It is for styling reasons, and besides having the directional display in the DIC it shows you everything you could need to know about where you are going, and its right in front of you (or on the HUD) so you don't have to look away from what you're supposed to be doing which is DRIVING. This is a cop out to just wanting your dash to look more "techy". The tech is well integrated and it works fine (IMO) you don't need a big pretty screen, it does what its supposed to do, get you where you need to go.

4. I was just up in middle of nowhere VT and NH and OnStar perfectly guided me on random single lane dirt roads in the woods. Not once did it get confused or lost. I guess some parts of the country are better covered than others.

5. I task you to find an area it doesn't work. It uses Verizons phone service and basically anywhere there is a road there is coverage (they have 98% of the country covered). If you're underground a handheld GPS isn't gonna work either.

6. Youre right the cost is higher than a dedicated GPS but there is a lot more to the service.

They have a plan like you describe its $18.95 a month. Navigation is only an extra $10 but you need the base $18.95 plan to get it. They are always cutting deals. I paid $250 for the year and IMO well worth it. If you wanted to pay for a GPS based vehicle disablement/recovery service you would have to pay to install the equipment (over $500) and then a monthly service charge as well. Plus you have diagnostics, crash assistance, and many other things that other products don't have. Its a whole suite of valuable services. Most navigation systems pre-installed in cars the option is between $750 and $1500, then if you want to update the maps many times you have to pay for the updates.

Do the math and do some research you will find OnStar is not that bad of a deal, which is why people do subscribe and use it every day and its still around after all these years. If it was really bleeding cash it would have been dumped in the restructuring like GMAC.
your usage may vary, this is the same deal with any gps, these are just my experiences using it. i havent found any specific area that it will not work(get service) but just like any cellphone company im sure they are there, im just saying the potential for this to happen is there and something to consider.

the reason for a screen is a lot of things other than looking cooler, while it does look cooler also. With a screen i wouldn't have to freaking call someone everytime i wanted to get a route, and with stand alone gps systems you can turn POI icons on so you can see where gas stations, stores, restarants etc are at without having to call and say where is the closest (insert your fav restaurant). Then the guy on the phone wants to know whats the closest intersection etc, hell i dont know. I can check gas prices, log my trips etc. And i can actually see on a map how far my next turn is which is a lot when you dont actually know where your going. Lots of things u just cant do without a screen. Its just easier and gets rid of the middle man which is always better in pretty much every situation. There is noway you can convience me a screenless gps system is better than one with a screen. Its like watching tv with only the audio and saying the experience is the same or better. no dice.

I never said onstar was bleeding money, or not making GM a profit. Im sure they are making a lot of money on the service but if people actually had a choice as to how some of those features were integrated im willing people would actually want a visible map, have the diagnostics to be something you can see inside the car on that screen we dont need. Since after all we are camaro drivers and according to GM we dont need to see no stinking map, its not something a camaro driver wants. Really, exactly how is that, are we some kind of different breed of humans. ridiculous.

Im aware of the $18 plan, thats only 100 bucks a year you save and the only thing thats different is no gps, which shouldn't be apart of the service to begin with. Paying for a 3rd party recovery solution is a mute point also as the service isnt available for the V6 camaro anyway, but you pay the same price as an SS driver. So that basically leaves you with crash response, and lets be a little honest here, unless you crash into a tree in the middle of nowhere, im sure the police and emergency services will get there just as fast with or without you making a call. But i wont try to downplay the crash response feature, its a great feature like said earlier and if its my life vs 18 bucks, ill gladly pay the 18 bucks. And im sure this is the reason a lot of people actually pay them. My gripes are with everything else with the system, especially the gps.

different people put different value into different things. I value visible maps, you obviously dont and thats fine. But for me, it sucks.
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #356
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
And you are not reading my previous statements. I saw the app store, it said 2011 only. I looked at it right when it came out before there were even any reviews. Look at the website before you even click on the movie it says 2011 only. Sorry I tend to believe them more than you and the fact there was SO much discussion on this topic and that they made it a point to say some 2011 vehicles only in EVERY press release tells me that yes maybe its not in the movie, but it probably said it somewhere and you didn't see it/ignored it.

Maybe they could program this way or maybe that, I don't get whats so hard about you put in your pin and it doesn't work that they have to have an annoying splash screen (that will need to be updated as more cars come out).

Seriously you are arguing minor semantics here. And it has nothing to do with anything other than the onstar app.
You and I will agree to disagree on the fact that it said 2011 only. I only read here that it was for the 2011 only. I don't believe everything I read on a forum, and needed to try it myself. Since there was no mention on the app, or on the Onstar website (THIS HAS BEEN CHANGED, POSSIBLY BECAUSE OF THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS), I honestly thought I could run it, maybe even in a diminished capacity.

When you run the app, everything appears to work, until it says your vehicles on this account are not supported.

Yes I'm arguing semantics. It is honest good feedback for app developers.

Now read it again IF YOUR VEHICLE ISN'T ON THE LIST, IT IS USELESS
That isn't an opinion it is a fact.

Also watch the video. They are nice to give you fine print about the remote start but do not mention "select 2011 vehicles only". That to me could mean they either forgot, or they intend on the video being used for awhile when it supports more vehicles. Regardless my opinion is one of the very first few (the 6th one on the list), I wrote it before the description was updated to say "2011 model year eligible vehicles"

I also didn't rant or rave how Onstar sucks, and they owe it to me to make an app. I agree with you on comments like that. I'm merely saying it would have been nice had the description been updated when I downloaded and possibly even the splash screen, or how about when I signed up to get the PIN it could have said then it wasn't going to work.

Doesn't matter either way, neither you or I can use it right now.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #357
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
your usage may vary, this is the same deal with any gps, these are just my experiences using it. i havent found any specific area that it will not work(get service) but just like any cellphone company im sure they are there, im just saying the potential for this to happen is there and something to consider.
There are places with so much interference you can't pick up GPS satellites. You are grabbing at straws here.

Quote:
the reason for a screen is a lot of things other than looking cooler, while it does look cooler also. With a screen i wouldn't have to freaking call someone everytime i wanted to get a route, and with stand alone gps systems you can turn POI icons on so you can see where gas stations, stores, restarants etc are at without having to call and say where is the closest (insert your fav restaurant). Then the guy on the phone wants to know whats the closest intersection etc, hell i dont know. I can check gas prices, log my trips etc. And i can actually see on a map how far my next turn is which is a lot when you dont actually know where your going. Lots of things u just cant do without a screen. Its just easier and gets rid of the middle man which is always better in pretty much every situation. There is noway you can convience me a screenless gps system is better than one with a screen. Its like watching tv with only the audio and saying the experience is the same or better. no dice.
Ok yes it does not show points of interest I'll give you that. It does not have all the features a screen would have. But you would lose the look of the interior. Everyone said give us a car that looks just like the concept, and they did! The display in the DIC tells you exactly down to the yard when you get close how far your next turn is. You do not need a map for that. Its absolutely not as bad as watching a TV with audio only. It works very well in terms of getting you where you want to go, it gives you exact turns, visual and audible cues of the distances, etc. Is it a pain to have to talk to someone when you want to change your route? Yes it can be but I personally haven't minded pulling over and just talking to someone. Its a whole lot easier to do hands free as opposed to having a GPS system where you have to divert your attention from the ROAD AHEAD to change your location or look at the map.

Quote:
I never said onstar was bleeding money, or not making GM a profit. Im sure they are making a lot of money on the service but if people actually had a choice as to how some of those features were integrated im willing people would actually want a visible map, have the diagnostics to be something you can see inside the car on that screen we dont need. Since after all we are camaro drivers and according to GM we dont need to see no stinking map, its not something a camaro driver wants. Really, exactly how is that, are we some kind of different breed of humans. ridiculous.

Im aware of the $18 plan, thats only 100 bucks a year you save and the only thing thats different is no gps, which shouldn't be apart of the service to begin with. Paying for a 3rd party recovery solution is a mute point also as the service isnt available for the V6 camaro anyway, but you pay the same price as an SS driver. So that basically leaves you with crash response, and lets be a little honest here, unless you crash into a tree in the middle of nowhere, im sure the police and emergency services will get there just as fast with or without you making a call. But i wont try to downplay the crash response feature, its a great feature like said earlier and if its my life vs 18 bucks, ill gladly pay the 18 bucks. And im sure this is the reason a lot of people actually pay them. My gripes are with everything else with the system, especially the gps.

different people put different value into different things. I value visible maps, you obviously dont and thats fine. But for me, it sucks.
The only thing the V6 loses vs the SS with the theft system is the ability for the police to remotely slow down the car. They can still find your car through the Onstar GPS, AND they can remotely block your ignition even on the V6 (check the onstar site if you don't believe me). So its not a moot point, you are still getting that service. Every single other feature works perfectly. Being a fireman having an EXACT location of where the accident is, is invaluable to us as callers often botch locations etc, people are not reliable witnesses. Its especially useful to us on the parkway even in a suburban/urban area where I am, you would be surprised how easy it is to miss a location. You also have remote door unlock (if you lose your keys) and remote lights/horn (if you can't find your car).

Theres a lot to it. I understand you don't like it because it doesn't have a screen but you make it out to be bad with a lot of misconceptions about what you have and get.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #358
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
You and I will agree to disagree on the fact that it said 2011 only. I only read here that it was for the 2011 only. I don't believe everything I read on a forum, and needed to try it myself. Since there was no mention on the app, or on the Onstar website (THIS HAS BEEN CHANGED, POSSIBLY BECAUSE OF THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS), I honestly thought I could run it, maybe even in a diminished capacity.

When you run the app, everything appears to work, until it says your vehicles on this account are not supported.

Yes I'm arguing semantics. It is honest good feedback for app developers.

Now read it again IF YOUR VEHICLE ISN'T ON THE LIST, IT IS USELESS
That isn't an opinion it is a fact.

Also watch the video. They are nice to give you fine print about the remote start but do not mention "select 2011 vehicles only". That to me could mean they either forgot, or they intend on the video being used for awhile when it supports more vehicles. Regardless my opinion is one of the very first few (the 6th one on the list), I wrote it before the description was updated to say "2011 model year eligible vehicles"

I also didn't rant or rave how Onstar sucks, and they owe it to me to make an app. I agree with you on comments like that. I'm merely saying it would have been nice had the description been updated when I downloaded and possibly even the splash screen, or how about when I signed up to get the PIN it could have said then it wasn't going to work.

Doesn't matter either way, neither you or I can use it right now.
Now read what I wrote again, your review is Useless because you aren't reviewing the app for what it was intended for. You keep touting that it was only posted here on the site about it being for 2011 only when I said MULTIPLE times that it was also in EVERY GM press release on ACCREDITED AUTOMOTIVE NEWS SITES NOT THIS ONE. Plus you want to keep arguing about the video too take a close look at this screencap

Yeah its fine print but it DOES SAY specifically there "Visit onstar.com for coverage map, details, and system limitations. Services vary based on model and conditions." So yeah you want to keep arguing then right there they DID warn people. Not only that not every 2011 car is supported. They are not gonna load up a commercial with a list of cars it does or doesn't work with.

But WAIT THERE'S MORE!

Take a look at the page about the app on their website that even if you completely ignore the warning at the top it doesn't get much clearer than this:

Hmm I believe that says 2011 Camaro....

Maybe they added that additional warning at the top after the fact I don't know I didn't look but anyone who took the time to go on the website and activate the app to work with their OnStar would HAVE TO SEE THAT.

So I say again, posting a negative review about it because it doesn't work with your 2010 is useless and dumb.

And yes I agree in the end it sucks for us both because neither of us can use it.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #359
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #360
OKCwhiteKnight

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro 2015 Colorado
2010 here, I went ahead and downloaded it knowing it wouldn't work. I figured if enough unsupported owners tried to activate this, On Star would send a firmware update sooner. If not I'll just delete the app.

OKCwhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:24 AM   #361
SS Crush

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/LS3
Send a message via MSN to SS Crush
Installed it today. On iPhone, search for "Chevrolet" and you'll see it 1/2 way down. Enter your OnStar user id & pw and you're in. Not much to it, but what could there be in the way of features. They give you the typical reports of Gas Left, Fuel Economy and Tire Pressure. Then you have phone links to your dealership, onstar roadside & Onstar help. I have a manual transmission and they obviously know it because Lock/Unlock and horn are my only features. Within a few minutes of installing the App, I was locking/unlocking the doors. From the time I pressed the button, it took about 3 seconds. Pretty darn cool if you forget to lock your cars and you are watching a baseball or football game. It's a long stressful walk back to the parking lots and they usually don't allow re-entry!

Decent app, I don't know what more you could expect from a free app. The door lock is probably the best feature by far and good enough in itself to get the app. I guess one additional feature that would actually be cool would be to show error codes. I know Chevy probably doesn't want this though.
2011 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS - 25% 3M Tint, SS Emblems F/R, Painted Engine Cover, Fuse Box & Taillight Bezels, Technostalgia Taillights, P13W Fog/DRL lights, DRL Harness, Pioneer AVIC 8200NEX, PAC Radio Kit, Pioneer cam (sux), Blue Footwell, Blue Map & Trunk Light, EPCO Orange Camaro SS Rally Shift Knob, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Skip-Shift Eliminator, K/N, G2 Painted Calipers, StopTech slotted rotors, pads & stainless lines, Beltronics Ticket Notifier
SS Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #362
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Quote:
There are places with so much interference you can't pick up GPS satellites. You are grabbing at straws here.

Ok yes it does not show points of interest I'll give you that. It does not have all the features a screen would have. But you would lose the look of the interior. Everyone said give us a car that looks just like the concept, and they did! The display in the DIC tells you exactly down to the yard when you get close how far your next turn is. You do not need a map for that. Its absolutely not as bad as watching a TV with audio only. It works very well in terms of getting you where you want to go, it gives you exact turns, visual and audible cues of the distances, etc. Is it a pain to have to talk to someone when you want to change your route? Yes it can be but I personally haven't minded pulling over and just talking to someone. Its a whole lot easier to do hands free as opposed to having a GPS system where you have to divert your attention from the ROAD AHEAD to change your location or look at the map.

The only thing the V6 loses vs the SS with the theft system is the ability for the police to remotely slow down the car. They can still find your car through the Onstar GPS, AND they can remotely block your ignition even on the V6 (check the onstar site if you don't believe me). So its not a moot point, you are still getting that service. Every single other feature works perfectly. Being a fireman having an EXACT location of where the accident is, is invaluable to us as callers often botch locations etc, people are not reliable witnesses. Its especially useful to us on the parkway even in a suburban/urban area where I am, you would be surprised how easy it is to miss a location. You also have remote door unlock (if you lose your keys) and remote lights/horn (if you can't find your car).

Theres a lot to it. I understand you don't like it because it doesn't have a screen but you make it out to be bad with a lot of misconceptions about what you have and get.

I'm not grabbing at straws, I don't think u are understanding what I'm saying or the point I'm trying to make. I'm not saying that gps systems there self are not flawed, the satellite is in space, there are a number of things that can interfere with your ability to pick up a solid gps signal. there are also a number of things that can interfere with your ability to get a good cellular signal. What I'm simply stating is no where is it required the use of any cellular technology for a GPS system to function, then why would you add in this requirement when all it does is make the system dependent on something that it doesn't need to function. It's just one more thing that can go wrong that can easily be avoided. Gps is tied to onstar, not for your convience (because it's not) it's to further lock you into there subscription service. Without gps there really isn't any reason to call these people. I would call them about as often as I call my insurance company, which is never. It doesn't make the system more reliable, it just makes it more dependent.
They could of easily made it a feature that adds on to a screen based gps as an added option for those who actually like talking to complete strangers to get a route. Without it being the only option.
What if you had to call onstar for the am/fm xm radio to function?
People would go ape shit.
Technically speaking, touching anything on the radio is a risk while driving, so why not make that safer? Call the onstar rep and tell her your in the mood for some classic rock. It would be just like voice recognition but better because your talking to a human. No need to fumble with the radio controls or put yourself at risk. I can see the commercial now. The only problem is it would be annoying as hell. Just like how the current gps system is setup.

Sure people said make the car just like the concept, but I'm pretty sure most were mainly talking about the exterior of the car. But in either case weather or not adding a screen would take away or add to the look of the interior is purely aesthetics, and not a worthwhile point to debate over. One mans garbage is another mans treasure. Some may like the look while some may not and that's the case with anything.

As for the theft system, you may be correct about it only loosing remote slowdown. I don't believe I stated they would not be able to find the car via gps if it were stolen. Just that scenario that's in the commercial with the stolen suv being forced to pullover via onstar does not work on the v6 and I only saw this in the fine print on there website a while ago and thinking, well that's great. I'm sure there is some technical reason why the v6 can't do remote slowdown, I just can't think of any but I'm also not a mechanic. I'm sure most people who see that commercial and say I have onstar, my car is new prob think they have that specific feature. I was just surprised to learn that in fact it's not on the v6. I'm not harping on the anti theft system of onstar, or the crash response system. In fact these were all positive points in my original post about the system. My issue is with the gps system, something I actually would use on a regular basis instead of one off chances when something bad happens like locking myself out of the car which has happened to me all of once in my entire life. So while it's a good feature I personally don't find value in that due to it only happening to me once ever. I can also flash the lights with my key fob as most other cars can also, so I don't personally find value in that feature either but it a good bullet point to stick on a feature list. Sending me diagnostic emails once a month is cool and all, but again it's backwards and that data is coming from the car so there is no reason I shouldn't be able to view it inside the car itself without onstar. I've also never had any car stolen, or anyone in my immediate family or close friends. And most people will not have there car stolen, although there are thousands of people everyday who are not that lucky. So while I'm not saying there isn't any value in the anti theft features, I'm also not that worried about my car being stolen either. I have been in car accidents so the crash response is of a lot higher value to me than prob any single other feature of onstar. Again these were all positive points in my original post.

So while my statements about remote slowdown may have left some room for improvement, I'm not spreading misconceptions about onstar. These are my opinions, some of them are facts some of them are emotions. For me the entire service boils down to anti theft and emergency response, every other feature is fluff and with gps tacked on as an ass backwards dependency thats only an incentive or reminder that you should continue to pay them every month. I'm not trying to make the entire system out to be bad, nor did I say the whole system was bad or not without some value.

I do have problems with the reasons and methods as to how the gps system in this car functions and how it's tied to a subscription service, and for that reason and that reason alone I will continue to say in a blanket statement that onstar sucks!
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:26 AM   #363
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Now read what I wrote again, your review is Useless because you aren't reviewing the app for what it was intended for. You keep touting that it was only posted here on the site about it being for 2011 only when I said MULTIPLE times that it was also in EVERY GM press release on ACCREDITED AUTOMOTIVE NEWS SITES NOT THIS ONE. Plus you want to keep arguing about the video too take a close look at this screencap

Yeah its fine print but it DOES SAY specifically there "Visit onstar.com for coverage map, details, and system limitations. Services vary based on model and conditions." So yeah you want to keep arguing then right there they DID warn people. Not only that not every 2011 car is supported. They are not gonna load up a commercial with a list of cars it does or doesn't work with.

But WAIT THERE'S MORE!

Take a look at the page about the app on their website that even if you completely ignore the warning at the top it doesn't get much clearer than this:

Hmm I believe that says 2011 Camaro....

Maybe they added that additional warning at the top after the fact I don't know I didn't look but anyone who took the time to go on the website and activate the app to work with their OnStar would HAVE TO SEE THAT.

So I say again, posting a negative review about it because it doesn't work with your 2010 is useless and dumb.

And yes I agree in the end it sucks for us both because neither of us can use it.
HAVE YOU EVEN READ MY POSTS?!?!?!?!?!

You must love to argue.

All of your proof thrown at me doesn't make a bit of different because it is AFTER THE FACT

My best analogy to all of what you are doing is like the city installing no parking signs after you have already parked there. Then telling me, hey didn't you read the papers, "everyone knows that is no parking" then showing me current pictures of the no parking signs.

1. The app was available on the Android marketplace when I saw it here. It says ONSTAR MYLINK, and the description *WAS* <------ SEE THAT... PAST TENSE... only the first sentence. In fact when the threads hit here, I refreshed the app marketplace and didn't find it until a couple hours later.

2. Nothing about the app was available on Onstars website at the time of my download. I tried doing my research.

3. That's great you read all the press releases. Things do change, for example, ambient light in the dash. Since the information I had said "ONSTAR Vehicles" I thought I would give it a try. When it didn't work, I posted a review that it was totally useless.

4. You won't believe me anyway, therefore your condescending attitude about my review (which was accurate at the time) won't change.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #364
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
HAVE YOU EVEN READ MY POSTS?!?!?!?!?!

You must love to argue.

All of your proof thrown at me doesn't make a bit of different because it is AFTER THE FACT

My best analogy to all of what you are doing is like the city installing no parking signs after you have already parked there. Then telling me, hey didn't you read the papers, "everyone knows that is no parking" then showing me current pictures of the no parking signs.

1. The app was available on the Android marketplace when I saw it here. It says ONSTAR MYLINK, and the description *WAS* <------ SEE THAT... PAST TENSE... only the first sentence. In fact when the threads hit here, I refreshed the app marketplace and didn't find it until a couple hours later.

2. Nothing about the app was available on Onstars website at the time of my download. I tried doing my research.

3. That's great you read all the press releases. Things do change, for example, ambient light in the dash. Since the information I had said "ONSTAR Vehicles" I thought I would give it a try. When it didn't work, I posted a review that it was totally useless.

4. You won't believe me anyway, therefore your condescending attitude about my review (which was accurate at the time) won't change.
Obviously we are both going nowhere with this so I will agree to disagree if you will. This is getting pointless.

Tags
2011, app, chevrolet, iphone, onstar