Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
asmith10

Drives: Camaro 2LT/RS IBM
CAI Inc VS Roto Fab

I am stuck between the two. Which one performs the best? Also not that I plan on adding the Or sport ram air Hood later on down the road so I will need to be able to incorporate that as well. Price is a big factor as well.
asmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Well you know who my vote is for, but in all seriousness we have a lot of happy V6 customers on this forum. Our V6 produces an avg peak HP of 15 (see the Janetty tests thread for full details)

If you are reading this and you have a CAI Inc. Intake on your V6 help this guy out!! Thanks!!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
ADM Intake FTW!!!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Burnt_RS

Drives: '10 1LT/RS
I'm on the fence between these two as well. I have some questions about these two particular intakes that might help you make a decision, when they get answered.

As far as adding a functional ram air style hood, both should work. Obviously the Roto-Fab will work, but Ive also seen a member on C5 with a CAI with the clear plexi-glass removed and added rubber to the top of the intake box to seal to the hood.

Roto-Fab is cheaper (by about $100), but the CAI has a ceramic coated intake tube and insulated filter shroud to keep inlet temps down. To me, the $100 difference is about equal to the added insulation and ceramic coating. They come out pretty much even in my books for getting what you pay for.

What I would like to know about the two intakes is this:

Can someone explain the "Fuel Trims" section in the Janetty spread sheet? What is + vs - ? and why are the trims so high for the CAI? What does this affect?

Were the Roto-Fab dyno #s (about +15hp) found with the hood open or closed? This is a big question since that large top opening will seal shut when the hood is closed. You would figure the Roto-Fab would make better #s with the hood open, so this is an answer I'd like before pulling the trigger on one.
Burnt_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_RS View Post
I'm on the fence between these two as well. I have some questions about these two particular intakes that might help you make a decision, when they get answered.

As far as adding a functional ram air style hood, both should work. Obviously the Roto-Fab will work, but Ive also seen a member on C5 with a CAI with the clear plexi-glass removed and added rubber to the top of the intake box to seal to the hood.

Roto-Fab is cheaper (by about $100), but the CAI has a ceramic coated intake tube and insulated filter shroud to keep inlet temps down. To me, the $100 difference is about equal to the added insulation and ceramic coating. They come out pretty much even in my books for getting what you pay for.

What I would like to know about the two intakes is this:

Can someone explain the "Fuel Trims" section in the Janetty spread sheet? What is + vs - ? and why are the trims so high for the CAI? What does this affect?

Were the Roto-Fab dyno #s (about +15hp) found with the hood open or closed? This is a big question since that large top opening will seal shut when the hood is closed. You would figure the Roto-Fab would make better #s with the hood open, so this is an answer I'd like before pulling the trigger on one.
The Roto-fab #s were with the hood closed.
In reference to the heat transfer properties, our inlet elbow and MAF housing are molded cross-link polyethylene about .200" thick. The thicker plastic will transfer heat at a slower rate than most other materials. Our air box is not insulated, but does provide a very functional barrier against radiator and engine heat. Our inlet temps run very close to ambient when driving. When sitting idle the temps will rise, but not signicantly.
The long term fuel trims are fuel adjustments made by your engine management system based on what the oxygen sensors are seeing in the exhaust.
Let's monitor a "chunk of air"...First, your air is metered by your MAF sensor and "X" amount of fuel is added for this incoming air. The air/fuel mixture is burnt and enters the exhaust. Your oxyen sensor monitors this exhaust for rich or lean conditions. If the reading shows lean, fuel is added based on a percentage until you aren't lean. Short term fuel trims operate in a narrow range. If short term can't correct the lean condition, 1% long term fuel trim is added and the short terms try to work in their small range again. If the short terms can correct the condition now, then you would be operation on a +1 long term fuel trim. If not, then you would go to 2% long term, the short terms continue in that range and so on. Conversely, oxygen sensors see a rich condition they take away fuel leaving you with a negative long term fuel trim. I'm no expert on tuning, but I hope that helps you have a better understanding of long term fuel trims and how they adjust.
The V6 Roto-fab intake runs within about 1% of stock on the car we did our testing on. This is something we are refining with our V8 kit as well for better performance right out of the box.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
ADM Intake FTW!!!
Really? Can you please show me a pic of the ADM for the V6?

BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Really? Can you please show me a pic of the ADM for the V6?

My bad I miss read that it was a V6

I thought it was for the V8.

CAI for the V6.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
piddlewink

Drives: 2lt Red jewel vin#6632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill @ CAI Inc View Post
Well you know who my vote is for, but in all seriousness we have a lot of happy V6 customers on this forum. Our V6 produces an avg peak HP of 15 (see the Janetty tests thread for full details)

If you are reading this and you have a CAI Inc. Intake on your V6 help this guy out!! Thanks!!
can you pm me on pricing for the cai v6 please
piddlewink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
Burnt_RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
The Roto-fab #s were with the hood closed.
In reference to the heat transfer properties, our inlet elbow and MAF housing are molded cross-link polyethylene about .200" thick. The thicker plastic will transfer heat at a slower rate than most other materials. Our air box is not insulated, but does provide a very functional barrier against radiator and engine heat. Our inlet temps run very close to ambient when driving. When sitting idle the temps will rise, but not signicantly.
The long term fuel trims are fuel adjustments made by your engine management system based on what the oxygen sensors are seeing in the exhaust.
Let's monitor a "chunk of air"...First, your air is metered by your MAF sensor and "X" amount of fuel is added for this incoming air. The air/fuel mixture is burnt and enters the exhaust. Your oxyen sensor monitors this exhaust for rich or lean conditions. If the reading shows lean, fuel is added based on a percentage until you aren't lean. Short term fuel trims operate in a narrow range. If short term can't correct the lean condition, 1% long term fuel trim is added and the short terms try to work in their small range again. If the short terms can correct the condition now, then you would be operation on a +1 long term fuel trim. If not, then you would go to 2% long term, the short terms continue in that range and so on. Conversely, oxygen sensors see a rich condition they take away fuel leaving you with a negative long term fuel trim. I'm no expert on tuning, but I hope that helps you have a better understanding of long term fuel trims and how they adjust.
The V6 Roto-fab intake runs within about 1% of stock on the car we did our testing on. This is something we are refining with our V8 kit as well for better performance right out of the box.
So if the trims are +ve then mileage should theoretically go down, and if -ve go up? Do the long term trims get 'saved' as a basic running map then? Will the car learn and adapt to running conditions?

I assume the trims for CAI in Janetty's test were high +ve numbers due to low intake temps leaning it out, and thus the engine adding fuel to accommodate. Is this not the best way to make more power? More air + more fuel? If the Roto-Fab trim numbers were the same as stock, does that mean the same amount of air flow into the engine (since no fuel had to be added)?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:09 AM   #10
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
So if the trims are +ve then mileage should theoretically go down, and if -ve go up? Do the long term trims get 'saved' as a basic running map then? Will the car learn and adapt to running conditions?

I assume the trims for CAI in Janetty's test were high +ve numbers due to low intake temps leaning it out, and thus the engine adding fuel to accommodate. Is this not the best way to make more power? More air + more fuel? If the Roto-Fab trim numbers were the same as stock, does that mean the same amount of air flow into the engine (since no fuel had to be added)?
The LTFT #s same as stock means our MAF sensor housing size and presentation is giving air flow readings very similar to stock. Think of it as tuning to an aftermarket intake except backwards-we tuned our MAF housing to the stock calibration. You will still make more power. This simply means the car is getting about the same amount of air it "thinks" it's getting at a given point.

You can make more power because still get the advantage of our better flowing components such as our smooth, large radius inlet elbow, large radius MAF housing entry, larger and better flowing filter and large air box which allows more air in.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by piddlewink View Post
can you pm me on pricing for the cai v6 please
PM sent. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Driving style and mods determine your mpg.....as you see in my signature what mods I have I get about 29mpg w/ 87 and 31mpg w/ 93.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
Burnt_RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
The LTFT #s same as stock means our MAF sensor housing size and presentation is giving air flow readings very similar to stock. Think of it as tuning to an aftermarket intake except backwards-we tuned our MAF housing to the stock calibration. You will still make more power. This simply means the car is getting about the same amount of air it "thinks" it's getting at a given point.

You can make more power because still get the advantage of our better flowing components such as our smooth, large radius inlet elbow, large radius MAF housing entry, larger and better flowing filter and large air box which allows more air in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill @ CAI Inc View Post
PM sent. Thanks.

Can both of you pm me with pricing shipped to ON, Canada? (Roto-Fab, I might consider an orange painted filter housing). Thanks in advance to both of you!
Old 01-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #14
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Can both of you pm me with pricing shipped to ON, Canada? (Roto-Fab, I might consider an orange painted filter housing). Thanks in advance to both of you!

PM Sent.