Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
biojack

Drives: 1LT/RS,MRTv2, Injen
IF....the Camaro was an ugly excuse of a car...

I've been a member of C5/Camaro owner for almost a year now - like most of you i obsess about my car every day (she's parked 300 miles away right now, which is gutwrenching..) And with this being my first 'nice' car i get engaged on many conversations; almost daily really, about the car...People always talk about my car, their older Camaro, Mustang, vette whatever..which is fine!

The one thing that i have never really understood is the importance people place on speed, and somewhat, on overall performance. Don't get me wrong, it is important (can't get satisfaction from a Sebring..i know) - but i don't know if fractions of a second are worth all the heated conversations, stand offs and arguments it generates from all sides.

So I guess.....

if the camaro was butt ugly, boring, or uninspired (like really not appealing at all), would you still prefer it if it outperformed its rivals???

I have actually read threads on here, and elsewhere where people were contemplating getting another car because it was fractions faster in a quarter mile....really??? is that really really a factor that will stop you from buying this fantastic car?

I guess i'm just saying i can EASILY live with the most beautiful, sexiest car on the road in 2011 even though it gets bested performance wise...

Am i really off on this???

Just wondering...
biojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I bought it soley because of performance/dollar spent. I always though the rear of the Camaro was...well... It's grown on me some since owning it. I think it was a combo of both. But no matter how beautiful, if it was a performance dog...no way.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
ZachSGMSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM Camaro
I'm with you.. The looks and how I felt behind the wheel of the car are why I bought this instead some faster car out there. If it was as plain as the mustang in looks Idk if I would have chosen it.
ZachSGMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/ SLP ZL575 #70
This is my 3rd Camaro........ always been a fan.

1994 Z28
2001 SS

Last edited by SS4Fun; 01-14-2011 at 12:36 PM.
SS4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
My answer is to ask owners of the Hyundai Genesis. LOL The mags keep putting that butt ugly car up against the V6's and it "wins". I don't care how well it's supposed to perform. It still looks like crap.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Eh... For me it's mostly looks, but if it wasn't available in a V8 then I'd never have gotten it. I'd have gotten another truck instead, in a V8. I just can't see myself in anything less honestly.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
infernoinandout

Drives: 2010 camaross/rs
chicks dig it

speed is not a factor, yes its fast and fun to drive. But the wow factor is what counts. Every one loves it and some woman say its just sexy. I have mine all trimmed out with lots of fun stuff and every time I show it or take someone for a ride its "damn thats a nice car" not "damn I cant believe you only run 11"s". I'm not a motor head just want to have fun and show off a bit.
infernoinandout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
melody301
NY Football Giants YAY!!!

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
I always though the rear of the Camaro was...well... It's grown on me some since owning it.
I thought I was the only one that felt like that. Even now when I get behind one sometimes I'm like something just isn't right about the back. I think it's the fact that as the roof line comes down into the trunk it doesn't seem to cover enough space making the "hips" really stick out. It almost seems to small for that area if I explained that right. But for the most part, her big hips have grown on me.

But to answer the OP, I got my v6 camaro because you couldn't get that kind of performace for that kind of dollar anywhere else and the fact that the car is absolutely gorgeous.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Your not off on your thinking. I bought this car for its styling and use it for cruising. I have the SS because I can, but I love the LS model with it's clean pure styling.
The Camaro comes in all different models and colors and for different customers. Don't appologize- There's lots of us here that like this car just the way it was designed and came from the factory.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
Chris442

Drives: 2006 GTO - 1969 442
I own a GTO, so obviously the answer is yes for me.

I think trading your car over a couple tenths here or there on the track is pretty stupid, though. If you had a new SS, the amount you'd lose going into, say, a 5.0, would cover plenty of mods that would make the Camaro a lot faster.

Unless you're going to something drastically different in class, it's always cheaper to mod what you've got. If it was only about HP/$, we'd all be driving used 4th gens.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
I bought mine for that HONKING V-8. If only a six banger had been available, I would have kept my 2002 SS. However, I am very happy with the looks of my 2010 SS.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I was first attracted by the looks, I only had a chance to sit in one before I made up my mind to buy. Granted it's not the fastest car on the road, but for what you get for the money you can't go wrong. I think the older I get the more the important things change to me. I enjoy just being comfortable and styling in my retirement. For me I like my cars the same as I like my women, built for comfort rather than speed. LOL ... I think the Camaro is a big hit with the balance of it's offerings ...
Old 01-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
Jayson9

Drives: 2SS
Bought my 2SS for style and mod-ability. Never considered it a be-all end-all performance car.

IMHO..... better looks than a Prowler (another looker not speedster), and enough HP, or mod-able HP, to justify the price. Other than that, its the wrong car for someone wanting to keep up with NASCAR.
Jayson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I don't like to drive butt-ugly cars. If the Camaro wasn't a gorgeous piece of work it would still be sitting on the lot. I just want to look good and feel good on the road, and the V6 has as much hp as the old Monte Carlo had with it's 305 V8.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote