Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Need to bring attention to an issue with my Camaro and others

I know many of you have replaced your exhaust with aftermarket so you wouldn't have this issue, but see below:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93407

Cliffs notes, at about 7k miles dealer replaced my exhaust because it rattled and made weird noises, that sound returned around 15k miles, and the dealer replaced it again. Now at 24k miles it has returned again.

I am NOT putting another factory exhaust on this car, this is getting a bit ridiculous. My dealer (Paul Conte Chevrolet) has been great and 100% behind me through this so I do not blame them nor do I want to cause any issues for them as its not their fault. In fact I am probably going to wait a bit before even bringing it to them so it gets worse so they are covered.

Firstly, any more people have or notice this issue? And secondly how do I go about dealing with this through GM? Honestly I want them to give me a better solution like an aftermarket exhaust or some sort of credit or something. I do NOT want to lemon law my car, its fine, I love it, and it was built for me. But I also don't want to take the shaft for a $1200 new exhaust because GM can't get it right 3 times.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
40years

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS Hyper Blue Met.
2 years and 15,500 mile on mine and no problems
Old 03-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
The exhaust is a rather simple part on this car. Rattling is something is loose or the baffles in the muffler have come loose. Sounds like you just keep getting some mufflers that were not properly built. I have heard of this problem a few times, but I don't ever recall anyone having continued issues. I would pick out an exhaust that you want, and see if GM would pay for the difference between that and the cost of the GM installed one. I don't see GM paying for an aftermarket exhaust fully. Now that I think about it, an aftermarket exhaust actually may be cheaper in price.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
10spokess
Wild and Cammed

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
My car made that noise back in 2007-8 and I finally just took a mallet and bent my heat shields upward and it fixed all the rattle see if its your heat shield that is the problem
Old 03-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I do NOT want to lemon law my car, its fine, I love it, and it was built for me. But I also don't want to take the shaft for a $1200 new exhaust because GM can't get it right 3 times.
You can't Lemon Law it. Lemon Law is only for safety and drivability issues.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
aldaron327
Onward and Upward.

Drives: '13 Equinox LTZ AWD,'09 Silverado
Send a message via MSN to aldaron327 Send a message via Yahoo to aldaron327
My car has been making a weird almost buzzing sound (think '80s Caprice with several Subwoofers and no sound deadening) every time I hit a bump or frost heave. I wonder if it isn't the same thing. I checked my license plate (obvious culprit) and it's tight, so I'm not sure what it is and I haven't had time to get it into the dealer. RL, is that the same/similar kind of "rattle" you describe?

Thanks,

-Tim
MODS: CAI by CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back, DBA 5000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Front), Hawk HPS Pads, Russell Braided Brake Lines, DBA 4000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Rear), Barton Short-Throw Shifter, UM Comp Extractor Hood & Gen I Spoiler, custom paint
aldaron327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
Seawolf

Drives: Ordered:2SS HyperBlue/Ceramic White
Mine started developing a weird almost harmonic buzzing sound in all gears when at about 1,800 RPM after about 6 to 8 months after buying it in July 2009. The dealer replaced the entire exhaust from the CAT back. Now, about 6 months after they replaced (I had gone a long while hoping it would get better) it is kind of doing it again, but this time on start up. You know how the engine revs a bit when you first start it? At the highest RPM mark during that sequence I can hear that buzzing again. But I can't replicate while driving. And since the car's RPM needle does a sweep at start up I can't even tell what RPM it's making the sound at this time.

On a side note, my car has also developed a "rattling" sound when going over rough or uneven pavement. The sound seems to be coming from the left rear muffler. I recently returned from a driving trip that involved some "spirited" driving; so I wasn't sure if I broke something or what.

I don't know if either one of these issues are similar to yours or not. I know it doesn't help your situation, but it kind of backs up your complaint with yet another experience. Hope you get it fixed/replaced.

2/5/2016: Ordered -- '16 order never picked up...
4/28/2016: Ordered '17
5/3/2016: 2000.......5/31/2016: 3400
5/4/2016: 3000.......6/14/2016: 3800
5/9/2016: 3000.......6/15/2016: 4200
TPW 6/6/2016..........6/17/2016: 4300
5/25/2016: 3100......6/18/2016: 4200
5/28/2016: 3300......6/21/2016: 5000
..............6/22/2016: 6000..............
Seawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
oh man you brought back terrible memories. I remember last winter when my car was only months old my exhaust rattled. It was bad! It had a piece of metal inside somewhere fall loose and would make a god awful sound when I would start up the car or take off. They replaced the exhaust at the dealer under warranty but the sound has not come back. yet. I hope you can work out getting aftermarket, I know someone on here was able to work out something with the dealership that was in you situation - replace the stock exhaust several times an then he convinced the dealer to use the warranty to go after market and just pay the difference. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
See if they will change your exhaust for a GMPP exhaust. They are made by Borla for GM. Should be ok with the warranty dept. The GMPP street system is the same as a Borla Touring system and the "Off Road" system is the same as Borla S Type.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
The exhaust is a rather simple part on this car. Rattling is something is loose or the baffles in the muffler have come loose. Sounds like you just keep getting some mufflers that were not properly built. I have heard of this problem a few times, but I don't ever recall anyone having continued issues. I would pick out an exhaust that you want, and see if GM would pay for the difference between that and the cost of the GM installed one. I don't see GM paying for an aftermarket exhaust fully. Now that I think about it, an aftermarket exhaust actually may be cheaper in price.
It seemed strange, the dealer figured my first replacement was form the same batch as the original which is why it was bad, made sense at the time. List price on the factory exhaust is $1200ish which is right around the price for an aftermarket, however thats what they sell it to the general public for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
My car made that noise back in 2007-8 and I finally just took a mallet and bent my heat shields upward and it fixed all the rattle see if its your heat shield that is the problem
I'd think it was that except the dealer checked that, also it only shows up after time not immediately with the new exhaust. Also they never replaced the rubber hangers or anything only the exhaust so its not like those wore out and cause it to start making noise again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
You can't Lemon Law it. Lemon Law is only for safety and drivability issues.
Lemon law only requires that the vehicle needs to be repaired 3 times for a warranty issue, and goes beyond just safety and drivability. My friend lemon lawed his Volvo because they could not get the radio to work properly after 3 attempts (actually he even stuck it out for 4 tries).

That said I am NOT going to Lemon Law my car. NO WAY. I would just hope the protections afforded under that law and rule could allow me some bargaining in what I can get GM to do for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaron327 View Post
My car has been making a weird almost buzzing sound (think '80s Caprice with several Subwoofers and no sound deadening) every time I hit a bump or frost heave. I wonder if it isn't the same thing. I checked my license plate (obvious culprit) and it's tight, so I'm not sure what it is and I haven't had time to get it into the dealer. RL, is that the same/similar kind of "rattle" you describe?

Thanks,

-Tim
Nope I don't get it over bumps, its RPM/engine load related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
Mine started developing a weird almost harmonic buzzing sound in all gears when at about 1,800 RPM after about 6 to 8 months after buying it in July 2009. The dealer replaced the entire exhaust from the CAT back. Now, about 6 months after they replaced (I had gone a long while hoping it would get better) it is kind of doing it again, but this time on start up. You know how the engine revs a bit when you first start it? At the highest RPM mark during that sequence I can hear that buzzing again. But I can't replicate while driving. And since the car's RPM needle does a sweep at start up I can't even tell what RPM it's making the sound at this time. ....
This is the exact issue.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
My car made that buzzing a week after I got it. It turned out that a baffle came loose in the muffler. You would occasionally hear it when driving, but it always did it on start up. My dealer replaced the entire exhaust. A couple of weeks later I took it off and but an SLP system on it. I have a perfect stock exhaust in storage in case I ever want to take my car back to original.
2010 Victory Red R6P 2SS w/RS package. Gloss black Rallys, 6 speed manual, SLP Loudmouth I exhaust, LS7 style blackout panel, SS emblems front and rear, Custom 69 inspired headlight covers, Vararam no tune, Hurst Short Throw, and MTI Racing rear spoiler, SLP Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Skirts
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I know many of you have replaced your exhaust with aftermarket so you wouldn't have this issue, but see below:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93407

Cliffs notes, at about 7k miles dealer replaced my exhaust because it rattled and made weird noises, that sound returned around 15k miles, and the dealer replaced it again. Now at 24k miles it has returned again.

I am NOT putting another factory exhaust on this car, this is getting a bit ridiculous. My dealer (Paul Conte Chevrolet) has been great and 100% behind me through this so I do not blame them nor do I want to cause any issues for them as its not their fault. In fact I am probably going to wait a bit before even bringing it to them so it gets worse so they are covered.

Firstly, any more people have or notice this issue? And secondly how do I go about dealing with this through GM? Honestly I want them to give me a better solution like an aftermarket exhaust or some sort of credit or something. I do NOT want to lemon law my car, its fine, I love it, and it was built for me. But I also don't want to take the shaft for a $1200 new exhaust because GM can't get it right 3 times.

Interesting - I went to Paul Conte also, but part of my lease agreement was signing something saying I wouldn't change the exhaust or make other "non-approved modifications".
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets77 View Post
Interesting - I went to Paul Conte also, but part of my lease agreement was signing something saying I wouldn't change the exhaust or make other "non-approved modifications".
Thats because its a lease, you don't really own the car the finance company does. I bought this car half in cash and half financed in June of 2009.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Do you drive the car in just a lot of short trips?? Your driving style may have something to do with it if that's the case.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote