Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #29
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
I am doing a NHRA certified 8.50 cage and any insight would be great from lessons learned. Craig at Extreme Innovations is doing the cage as he does incredible work and working to be as user friendly as possible and be certified.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #30
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
WoW! The engine sounds great!
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #31
jrpxxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600hp-lpe View Post
WoW! The engine sounds great!
They said they would get plenty more video of it for me and some better quality sound clips later on.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #32
600hp-lpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
I am doing a NHRA certified 8.50 cage and any insight would be great from lessons learned. Craig at Extreme Innovations is doing the cage as he does incredible work and working to be as user friendly as possible and be certified.
Send me your email address in a PM, and I'll send you some pictures while it was being built.

I used Speedster's photo's of his cage as a guide for my chassis builder. I told them to "Build it as close to this as possible.." they didn't build it exactly the same as Speedsters, but it has some of the same shape and design features. I didn't want removable side bars - mine are non-removable. I went for strength.

You need to remove the entire interior so nothing gets damaged during fabrication. The Windshield and rear glass need to be removed as well, so the chassis fabricator and person painting the cage can get in to do their thing.

The chassis fabricator will need most of the interior.

Are you keeping the rear seat? I changed the location of the rear tubing and we went through what would have been about the middle of the rear seat (top section) so the pipes were straight. Speedster had his bent and went through the rear speaker shelf.

I assume you are keeping the stock seats? yes or no?

The airbags need to be removed. There are airbags in the seats, side curtian airbags, passenger side dash, and steering wheel. The roll cage placement will interfere with the airbags. GM execs told me to remove all the airbags. It also saves a bit of weight.

We went through the top of the dash so the front downtube is forward of the door opening. You are able to use the 2 1/2" pipe that goes across behind the dash and incorporate it into the roll cage. The dash is pretty easy to re-work to make room for the roll cage tubing.

Take the plastic egg crate stuff off the backside of the headliner while it is out of the car. you need to remove the headliner for welding and painting.
It needs to come out and go back in the windshield area while the windshield is out.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #33
600hp-lpe

Quote:
Sounds like you have a good shop ready to do the work..
That is the most important part.

I paid more money than most shops charge for a roll cage.. the shop I chose (Dan Page Race Cars, Hampstead NH) did an excellent job. They have a waiting list 6 months long.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #34
jrpxxii

Very nice setup. PM sent to you.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #35
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
The video at Cincy sounds great !!

You are gonna love this setup...
Old 03-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #36
jrpxxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
The video at Cincy sounds great !!

You are gonna love this setup...
Thanks Bruce. Its about time we get to use these cars.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #37
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Thanks Bruce. Its about time we get to use these cars.

Amen to that one brother. Tom (Nelson) just gave me a call and they are going to pull the motor tonight. So it shouldn't be long for both of us to hit the road !
Old 03-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #38
600hp-lpe

Quote:
Very nice setup. PM sent to you.

Do you have a size limit on email? I got your email address. I'll shoot the pic's to you tomorrow AM.. they are on my work computer in the office.

BTW.. I havn't taken any pictures inside yet since I have it all together. I was going to clean it up and then take some.. Mother nature decided we needed more snow, so I dropped it off at Portsmouth chevy to get the electronics squared away. They are close to done. I will take some on Saturday at the dragstrip while I am waiting for the chassis inspection.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #39
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
As far as beer money goes, lets just say it is now a 6 figure camaro. OUCH
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #40
jrpxxii

Quote:
Do you have a size limit on email? I got your email address. I'll shoot the pic's to you tomorrow AM.. they are on my work computer in the office.
No I dont think so. Send them and I will let you know if I have any issues getting them. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #41
600hp-lpe

Quote:
No I dont think so. Send them and I will let you know if I have any issues getting them. I really appreciate it.

No problem what so ever..

I'll let you know what we did at the local chevy dealer.

We removed all the airbags, stock seat belts, stock seats, and changed the steering wheel in my car.

They removed the Onstar box from inside the glovebox today.

the chevy tech is Working on removing or disabling the airbag circuit. It's looking like they may need to add some resistors to fool the circuit into thinking the airbag still exists. I guess it throws too many codes if they just unplug it. That piece is still a work in progress.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #42
speedster
SST...

Quote:
No problem what so ever..

I'll let you know what we did at the local chevy dealer.

We removed all the airbags, stock seat belts, stock seats, and changed the steering wheel in my car.

They removed the Onstar box from inside the glovebox today.

the chevy tech is Working on removing or disabling the airbag circuit. It's looking like they may need to add some resistors to fool the circuit into thinking the airbag still exists. I guess it throws too many codes if they just unplug it. That piece is still a work in progress.
Hey -
Once they get it all resolved with the Onstar and the airbags, could you shoot me a PM of if they had to add resistors. Just curious.

OK, back on topic...