Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
JBuzzy11

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green
Clear 3m tape for Phantom grille?

Got myself a phantom grille and have heard storys about the paint getting scratched from the grille, anyone ever use anything to protect the paint? is there a clear 3m tape I can use to protect it before I install it? If so what do I use and where do I get it? Thanks.....

Injen CAI, JBA headers, MRT V1.0 exhaust, Trifecta tune.
JBuzzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
Can you post a pic of the grille was thinking of ordering 1 before it ends. Does the front bow tie need to be remove? Not sure on the 3m tape but have read some post that it would be good to use to protect it from scratching, did not state any locations where to apply it.
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
JBuzzy11

yeah, here's the link to the eBay page. He has sold 20 of them and if for any reason it doesnt fit he said he will refund my money and free shipping back, his feedback for the item is also great, check it out below. mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow so if you want to hold off till them ill post a picture of it and yes the bow tie has to come off, I just took mine off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AMESINDXX%3AIT

Old 04-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
GreenMonster
Its all about the U

Drives: 2010 SGM
I have this grille, it was one of my first mods, I did add a clear 3m all around because of the scratching of the paint , my local tint applier store did it for me. I did remove the front bowels but the own grille does not have to be removed . Hope this helps
Old 04-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
JBuzzy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post
I have this grille, it was one of my first mods, I did add a clear 3m all around because of the scratching of the paint , my local tint applier store did it for me. I did remove the front bowels but the own grille does not have to be removed . Hope this helps
you say you have this grille, are we talking the exact same one from eBay? If so I wanted your thoughts on it.. thanks

Old 04-24-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
GreenMonster
Its all about the U

Drives: 2010 SGM
Well I have the authentic phantom grille from Trex, although the grille on eBay looks like a phantome grille I've never heard or seen another phantom grille that was not from Trex. And the Trex one is a lot more expensive that the one your looking at on eBay so I'd be worried about the quality. As far as the Trex grille , I have no complaints except that you will need 3m tape for the surrounding area because it will scratch and remove your paint, it's hard to keep the grille clean from waterspots because there's so many rows it accumulates everywhere, cosmetically IMO it looks great many compliments