Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
Engine damage? question!

I had my car on the dyno yesterday working with ted to get the tuning figured out and I must have had a bad tank of gas so we added some unleaded race fuel to boost the octane up. After that we ran it for a while to get the fuel to circulate and made a pull. The car pinged pretty hard at about 3200 rpm and we instantly shut the car down. It was loud enough to hear outside of the car. I called ted and he made some corrections and it was ok after that.

So my question is do you think there was any real damage that would come from a ping like that? As soon as it did it we backed off, now granted if any damage was done it would have happened before we heard it and let off but I'm just looking for opinions to see what people think. It has been lingering in the back of my head for the last day and a half now and im kind of worried.

I drove the car back 80 miles from the dyno shop and never had any issues, the gas mileage was no different no weird noises or anything while crusing down the highway. I was driving around tonight and shifting around 3k rpm and hear a slight noise but I cant tell if its just the injectors or some other noise. It doesnt really sound like a mechanical "tick or chatter" it sounds too soft.

Maybe I'm just freaking out for no reason, and every little noise I hear I think its going to blow up lol. I'm just looking for opinions here as to if you guys think any solid damage has been done. Im sure no ring lands broke off or anything as there is no constant rattle. I listened as best as I could with a solid 2 foot extension to each of the valve covers and header ports for ticking or mechanical noises and everything seems within the norm (my stehoscope was at work, best i had was the extension)

Thoughts / opinions?

PS...CCPerformance I'm not looking for the "forged engine" lesson that every thread like this gets I know it should be forged and it is getting forged this winter im just looking for opinions as if I should really be worrying about this as much as I am.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Clint@A.I.R.
Account Suspended

Drives: 99' Camaro 404 TT
more info needed...

Boost level, Timing at WOT, A/F at Wot, Stock Bottom end? Were you data logging or was that audible knock that you heard? ALso a run down on your General setup... Etc.

Chances are your ok, but if it starts spittin oil under boost, then you might have hurt a piston.

Hope not !!!

Good Luck

Clint
Clint@A.I.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Oxtar41

It did it right when boost started to come on, The car wasnt loaded at the time and id say prob at 50% throttle or so as it happened in third gear just running through the gears to make the pull in 4th. I didnt get the data log for that when it happened though but it was loud enough to hear so we instantly shut the car down.

As far as the set up i currently am running:

E-force with stock pully
Roto-fab CAI
Stock headers
Rx catch can (doesnt matter just giving all the info i can)
JRE fuel system upgrade
Old 05-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
Clint@A.I.R.
Account Suspended

Drives: 99' Camaro 404 TT
So you were at 50% throttle in 3rd gear just getting it ready for the 4th gear pull and you had knock ?

I guess I'm trying to understand, forgive my questions... Is this the initial time you got on it after your supercharger install? Did a local Speed Shop install it, or per do it yourself?, what about tuning, or your tuner, what did he or She half to say...

So.. You never did a pull on the dyno, after you had this knock in 3rd gear at 50% throttle, you just pulled her off the dyno and drove it home 80 miles.?

Chances are your ok, But if it's not tuned it needs to be.

Have a good evening

CLint
Clint@A.I.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Oxtar41

I installed the supercharger myself. I'm a certified master tech but the whole aftermarket scene is all new to me. We had the car on the dyno before and the first tune was a safe tune from ted. The audible knock happened at the 3rd pull on the dyno with a new tune. we made a bunch of pulls after that on different tunes to straighten everything out I was at the dyno shop for about 3.5 hours working with ted my car was being a pain. So we made a bunch of pulls before we ran out of time and then I drove home after that. Its 80 miles from the dyno shop to my house. The car is tuned but some small adjustments need to be made in the upper RPM range so I'm just babying it until I can get back on the dyno.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Do you have an afr reading? Whats to say beyond what you know I would say....LOL

You could look at it this way as well.... whats done is done, try and prevent anything further like that from happening... you could do a leak down/compression test but what would you do if you found something out? I can't/wont comment on it beyond that.... your working with another sponsor and its inappropriate for me to really say anything at all.

For peace of mind do the tests and see what you have.. you should be close to the same numbers with all cylinders... if one is far off from the others then you'll know. I'm not sure why people don't use the tune from Edelbrock and take advantage of their warranty. Your SAE cert'ed, it would have been a good way to go ( Not trying to condescend you either).... But my point of view is that if your going to do this ( and you know how I feel about it..LOL) then take advantage of the warranty offer and cover your asset.

FYI... its not just the piston that takes the brunt of the force.. its the connecting rod as well.. what you have (and being a master tech you know this already but for the sake of anyone reading this)... is a train wreck basically when you get detonation... the combustion is happening before the piston gets to the top of the stroke so you have a head on collision of forces and it shocks the entire assembly, not just the piston.

Last edited by CC Performance; 05-18-2011 at 07:38 AM.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:52 AM   #7
Oxtar41

I don't remember what the afr was off the top of my head if there is any damage I'd rip it down and start the forge process early I suppose lol. I guess I'm just asking if I need to worry as much as I have been. And just looking for thoughts and opinions is all, I appreciate everyones input thus far.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
do the comp and leakdown and see what you get..... yes stress has occured, to what level or extent no one can really say at this point.... you could be fine...
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote