Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
~Stacy~
Banned

Drives: Car
FACTORY GFX

I got my factory ground effects kit installed last June. I installed in two phases. I got my rocker panels installed no issues. I then went back and got my front splitter and my rear diffuser installed shortly after that. My front splitter has been the biggest pain. Less than a week after I got the splitter installed it started to fall off on both sides. So they stuck more double sided tape on it. That lasted awhile till one side started to sag so they installed two hex nuts. This past week my double sided tape gave out again. I took my car back to the dealer today to show them what's going on. They are offering to put silcone bead on the side that is falling? They need my camaro for a few hours so the stuff will dry. They are offering me a rental car on Thursday if I drop my camaro off. My question is how many people have troubles with your front splitter falling off?
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
Where did you purchase your GFX from? The front splitter use to fall off a lot when they first started producing the GFX, but they made a update to the mounting/brackets they place on the splitter. Make sure you received the updated front splitter.
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
~Stacy~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LED Crazy View Post
Where did you purchase your GFX from? The front splitter use to fall off a lot when they first started producing the GFX, but they made a update to the mounting/brackets they place on the splitter. Make sure you received the updated front splitter.
I bought my gfx thru gmpartshouse.com I don't think it was a flaw in the kit. The directions stated let the double sided tape hold for at least 24 hours. Well my dealer let me borrow a car and I came back to pick it up 3 hours later and a week later the double sided tape gave out:( Then went back and got two layers of double sided tape. That worked for awhile. Then they put two little hex nuts one one each side. My right sided tape gave out again I live in Wisconsin where it gets 40 below zero in the winter but I don't drive my camaro in snow learned my lesson this past winter when I did a 360 degree spin and almost took a out a stop and go light I guess I will try this bead sealant now on Thursday. They are being nice enough to fix it again and they are even hooking me up with a car to use for the day It sounds like this time they are actually going to let my camaro sit for awhile to allow proper cure time??
Old 06-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
All of this 3M tape stuff is turning out to be a problem. I installed mine and was meticulous. Changes in temperature and what the temp was when it was installed all sooner or later lead to failures even when installed according to instructions
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I installed my OEM GFX two weeks ago my kit came with two plastic mounting brackets on for the driver and one for the passenger side that the front splitter will slid on top of and it has notches that lock it into place after then the red tape is removed and the bumper cover held in place with the 3MD tape. Here in Central Florida we have temps from 20 degrees to 100 degrees so far the past two weeks it’s been in the high 90’s for temps and my front splitter has held up great I would double check that the two plastic brackets were installed if not this is a problem.

Sean
Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
Betblak

Drives: 2010 BlackneSS
There should be brackets riveted to your cars original body. The splitter hangs on that and would never sag. The 3m tape just keeps it secure. Take it to another dealer for a second opinion.
Betblak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
the dealer did not install it correctly, period. The front piece gets installed using bracket riveted on each corner then the fascia has to be removed from the car to drill the final rivet in the middle...then 3M double-sided tape is applied, front fascia carefully lined up and hung on the brackets, and 3M tape left to cure for 24 hours.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
~Stacy~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
the dealer did not install it correctly, period. The front piece gets installed using bracket riveted on each corner then the fascia has to be removed from the car to drill the final rivet in the middle...then 3M double-sided tape is applied, front fascia carefully lined up and hung on the brackets, and 3M tape left to cure for 24 hours.
They never let the 3m tape cure for 24 hours. That's the issue! I guess I can't moan and complain about them they installed all of my AAC lighting and Eibach supension you name it. They are WILLING to help me fix the issue so I'm satisfied
Old 06-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Other than the fact that they don't fit perfectly (drivers side rear tire well is about 1/2" off), they're fine, no issues. But, did hear about earlier versions being very troublesome.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
ffcobra. I believe you are speaking to the design prior to the revised design. The new design would not fail due to the tape, and the fascia does not have to be removed. Now what does Stacey have...don't know

edit...original post says last June...therein lies the problem. The design has been revised. The rear GFX is still a problem though
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
ffcobra. I believe you are speaking to the design prior to the revised design. The new design would not fail due to the tape, and the fascia does not have to be removed. Now what does Stacey have...don't know

edit...original post says last June...therein lies the problem. The design has been revised. The rear GFX is still a problem though
you may be correct. But mine was installed using the revised installation intructions and there are two brackets....1 at each side/corner and rivet or screw in the middle and the only way to install that one is to remove the fascia. The original intruction did not have the rivet in the middle...only the side brackets and 3m tape....that was why eventually the front lip comes loose and drags on the ground at fwy speeds. The middle rivet prevents this. But you maybe right tho. There could be a newer install inst.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #12
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betblak View Post
There should be brackets riveted to your cars original body. The splitter hangs on that and would never sag. The 3m tape just keeps it secure. Take it to another dealer for a second opinion.
It is rivited but in the corners where it wraps around near the wheels is the location where the OP is referring to i believe. There are no rivits in this location and the splitter is held by double sided 3M tape. Mine has had this issue for months now. I stopped taking it to the dealer because the same issue keeps occuring.

UT-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
GreenMonster
Its all about the U

Drives: 2010 SGM
interesting, after much research with another splitter I was considering.. I am leaning towards GM's gfx .. the splitter in question.. but now if this splitter has these issues I have no idea what im going to do.....

UT- would you be able to send or post some more pics of your front and side body kit /// I know theres some in your garage but do you have any more??

Thanks .. goodluck OP
Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #14
~Stacy~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post
interesting, after much research with another splitter I was considering.. I am leaning towards GM's gfx .. the splitter in question.. but now if this splitter has these issues I have no idea what im going to do.....

UT- would you be able to send or post some more pics of your front and side body kit /// I know theres some in your garage but do you have any more??

Thanks .. goodluck OP
I will post some pics of my front splitter tomorrow when I get done with work at 4pm to show you my problem areas on my front splitter