Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
chadsim93

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS
Hard water spots?

I parked my car out in the curb and the sprinklers hit my car and left hard water spots I've tried rubbing compounds, Clay bar, Wax, And a few other things.
Any suggestions of what i should do.
chadsim93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
LRod

Drives: 2SS/RS/A6 Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsim93 View Post
I parked my car out in the curb and the sprinklers hit my car and left hard water spots I've tried rubbing compounds, Clay bar, Wax, And a few other things.
See the sticky that says use 50% distilled water, and 50% distilled white vinegar, put in a spray bottle, spray, and wipe with soft cloth. I'm just repeating what I say saw in another thread.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRod View Post
See the sticky that says use 50% distilled water, and 50% distilled white vinegar, put in a spray bottle, spray, and wipe with soft cloth. I'm just repeating what I say saw in another thread.
I had some bad spots. I tried the above and no luck. I used m105 and that didnt even remove it...:(

People are posting about bad paint chips, I also think this paint reacts bad to acid rain, more than other paints. My wifes 2004 toyota gets rained on by the same clouds in the same driveway and she has ZERO spots on her van.
-bobby
Old 05-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I tried the vinegar/water also, only helps on fresh spots. If they've been there a while, good luck! I have some annoying spots on the hood that I just can't get out. Tried the OP's routine, same results. I may have to take it to a professional to have them buffed out. I think the clearcoat GM uses is soft or something. Lots of complaints!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
crsr1

Drives: Camaro
I have the same spots on my Silver SS. I purchased it 2 weeks ago and it has spots from sitting on the dealer lot which is right by the airport. It looks to be acid rain and has left an inprint in the paint. The dealer compounded and buffed the hood and roof, but I can still see the spots when the car is under the lights in my garage. I too would like to find a way to remove them. I really don't want the dealer sanding on the car.
crsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
edgar3

Drives: 2010 2SS
hmm, I have these to, mine are only noticeable on my black stripes.
Let me know if anyone tries a "real" detailer and if they are able to remove them. That's what I was going to try...no detailers around me that I know...so it's low priority.

XSPower Longtube + Catback "Engine to Tip" polished steel
VMAX ported Throttle Body
160 degree thermostat
Street Tune East Coast Supercharging
Cold Air Inductions
TRex Phantom Black Billet Grill. Upper and lower
Custom Badging
Lloyd Floors mats
splash guards
Underhood Engine bay done
AAC LED mailslot strip lights
Flowing Cheese Fondue waterfall in console
Various food items to dip into warm cheese
edgar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsim93 View Post
Ok. that's really weird.
We have really hard water and one time after blasting some bird crap off my car with the hose, I got distracted by something my daughter was getting into and then forgot about it. When I came back there were all sorts of whitish dried water spots all over the area that I hit with the hose water.

A wash followed by Adam's detail spray took'em right off. Easy.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:12 AM   #8
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Depending on how bad they are water spots can be removed with something as simple as detail spray, but if they've etched the surface they can require serious buffing, or potentially even sanding to remove.

When you used "compound" was it by hand or by machine... and yes there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference between what can be accomplished one way or the other.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
How about Hard water spots on the rearview mirror's? Ive tried straight up vinager to no avail. I used to work at a cement plant . Used vinager to wash my truck with to remove cement dust , so I know vinager works. But these damn spots on the rearview's are drivin me crazy
Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Have you tried claying them?

Sometimes a 'mechanical' process will be more effective than a 'chemical' process.

If clay hasn't worked you can try an abrasive polish and polishing pad to abrade the spots from the glass.

Last resort is always #0000 steel wool with glass cleaner as a lube. It won't scratch the glass, but it will scrub it REALLY good.

If none of that removes them then you're dealing with hard water etching which is not just contamination, but damage to the glass and would require replacement.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
PIPE

Yea I clayed them on Saturday. used the revive polish. Still there. Ill try the steel wool, even maybe with vinager and see. Thanks Dylan
Old 07-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
race29
Robin

Drives: 1983 Z28, 2010 2SSRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE View Post
How about Hard water spots on the rearview mirror's? Ive tried straight up vinager to no avail. I used to work at a cement plant . Used vinager to wash my truck with to remove cement dust , so I know vinager works. But these damn spots on the rearview's are drivin me crazy
Hey i worked i concrete...Who did you work for? That dust is horrible on cars.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
crsr1

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Depending on how bad they are water spots can be removed with something as simple as detail spray, but if they've etched the surface they can require serious buffing, or potentially even sanding to remove.

When you used "compound" was it by hand or by machine... and yes there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference between what can be accomplished one way or the other.
The dealer used a machine. It looks like they just covered it up. I tried cleaner wax and 3M Finesse It II compound which I have and it is still noticable. Thinking about just putting stripes on the car!
crsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
PIPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by race29 View Post
Hey i worked i concrete...Who did you work for? That dust is horrible on cars.
I worked for Lehigh Portland Cement in UnionBridge MD. Was owned by Heidelberg Zement. The 3rd largest producer of Cement in the world at the time. Thats been 12 yrs ago