Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Camaro bringing unwanted attention...?

Hey, don't know if there's already a thread on this, but is anyone else concerned about their Camaro's safety, i.e. vandalism, burglary, theft? Of course, I see all this stuff all the time since I'm a cop, but I'm just concerned about a hot new car like the Camaro drawing little punks to do their deeds with my car. I also currently live in an apartment complex with no garages, so mine will be out in the open until I go somewhere else.

On the other hand, I keep reading reviews, both in the media and personal here in the forums of people in the general public who seem to have a very high respect for the Camaro, what with all their thumb-ups and cell phone pictures...

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
justmeron

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to justmeron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Hey, don't know if there's already a thread on this, but is anyone else concerned about their Camaro's safety, i.e. vandalism, burglary, theft? Of course, I see all this stuff all the time since I'm a cop, but I'm just concerned about a hot new car like the Camaro drawing little punks to do their deeds with my car. I also currently live in an apartment complex with no garages, so mine will be out in the open until I go somewhere else.

On the other hand, I keep reading reviews, both in the media and personal here in the forums of people in the general public who seem to have a very high respect for the Camaro, what with all their thumb-ups and cell phone pictures...
Yes I have the same fears. Makes me scared to park at work or stores. I could see em getting stolen or vandalised just for shits and giggles.

Life is not like a box of chocolates, its more like eating a whole jar of jalapenos.... what you do today may burn your ass tomorrow!!!!
justmeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Nope. No different then any other hot looking car out there.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
babyjulie83
driving! Thanks GM !!!

Drives: 2SS Camaro in ABM!!!
I'm worried about it. I have a garage at my apartment so I'm not worried about it there. I also have a parking garage with great security measures when i'm at work so i'm not worried about that.

I'm worried when I go to visit my parents. They live in a neighborhood that has really gone downhill and the cops are always being called out there. And they don't have a garage. The only thing I can think of is to try and cover it up with crappy looking car cover so that people will think there's nothing special under it. Or maybe I just won't sleep...i'll stay up all night looking out the window.

Everything is better in a Camaro.......puts a smile on my face everyday.....
babyjulie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
At least you can tase the little bastards.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Not worried. Owned a 350Z and the Lancer Evo when both were new. Never had a problem with negative attention, not once. This isn't a Ferrari or a Viper where I might have some concern that someone might do something stupid. On the other hand, my car will be in a garage.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
JSOC_MQ1

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
I don't have to worry about "little punks" with my can because my car will either be in my garage or parked where I work. I work at a secured facility (guards with machine guns, fences, security camera's, etc.) You get the picture.

However, I would suspect that there will be people out there that are just jealous and try to vandalize your car. From what I saw I believe there may be on option through the On Star function to not only track you vehicle, but to bring it to a controlled stop if stolen.

JSOC_MQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
seeknay2000

Drives: 1978 Z28, 1987 Suburb
Are you concerned that they will vandalize your car because it's a new camaro, competitor of a mustang, or just vandalize it because it's a nice car?

Because I live in Philly and new cars are big targets for vandalism etc. but all new cars are the same - it has just as much chance of being vandalized if its a mustang, a camaro, or a honda civic.

On the bright side, assuming these criminals have any brains, they would figure out that since its a new car it has standard 1 year on-star that protect against theft of the car. Worse they can do is maybe take out the stereo - but again look on the bright side - that would make your car weigh 50 pounds less and just that more faster. lol

I am scared of my new car though - I will be getting a private garage to park it in, I don't even trust parking garages.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
At least you can tase the little bastards.
LOL, tase.... No, no, no, that's what the GUN is for. Oh, I won't shoot them, just a nice little "warning" shot... But then, the pepper spray is rather painful too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOC_MQ1 View Post
I don't have to worry about "little punks" with my can because my car will either be in my garage or parked where I work. I work at a secured facility (guards with machine guns, fences, security camera's, etc.) You get the picture.

However, I would suspect that there will be people out there that are just jealous and try to vandalize your car. From what I saw I believe there may be on option through the On Star function to not only track you vehicle, but to bring it to a controlled stop if stolen.

Yeah, I'm aware of those features, and they're definitely comforting. This car's got plenty of security features, and I think theft will be a bit difficult.

One thing I forgot to mention is that, at least in my area, most burglaries are on unlocked cars. Usually just amateurs or kids walking the streets checking door handles. And I ALWAYS lock my car (take that as a strong piece of advice from a cop). Really don't see why anyone else doesn't...

2011 Avalanche LT
Old 03-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeknay2000 View Post
Are you concerned that they will vandalize your car because it's a new camaro, competitor of a mustang, or just vandalize it because it's a nice car?

Because I live in Philly and new cars are big targets for vandalism etc. but all new cars are the same - it has just as much chance of being vandalized if its a mustang, a camaro, or a honda civic.

On the bright side, assuming these criminals have any brains, they would figure out that since its a new car it has standard 1 year on-star that protect against theft of the car. Worse they can do is maybe take out the stereo - but again look on the bright side - that would make your car weigh 50 pounds less and just that more faster. lol

I am scared of my new car though - I will be getting a private garage to park it in, I don't even trust parking garages.
Yeah, just because it's new and rare, at least early on.

But I like my radio... LOL.

2011 Avalanche LT
Old 03-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
The main security feature is once I get a hold of the scumbags that do it, I will strangle the life out of them. :\
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Mine will be garage kept. I'm more worried about my kids dinging it with their bikes.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
you shouldn't worry about punks; most do have a small shred of decency and will respect somthing thats cool enough... the people you should worry about are environmentalist wackos
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #14
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
I've got some concerns, I guess, but mostly I'm concerned about dings in the doors and people being stupid. Looks like I'll be parking in the back of the lots for a while.

On another note, though, about seven years ago, I saw a Corvette parked near where I worked and it had a naughty word carved/keyed into the hood.

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote