Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
shaggy1
The thin blue line

Drives: 2012, 2SS/RS,LS3,IOM/Beige
New problem with top

I had noticed appx a week or so ago that I was starting to have the "rub" marks on my top and I took my car in to the dealership and the service mgr filled out all the paperwork and got the "tape-parts" in to do the fix. I was feeling pretty good about the whole ordeal since I spotted it early and my dealer was being very helpful. I even felt good after reading several posts on here stating that the tape fix should solve my rubbing problem. So,.... I decided to run by the dealership to see if the parts had arrived yet. I looked at my top again just to see how the rub marks looked and everything looked like it had and I then walked over to the passenger side and I freaked,....... I saw running across the seam line that the top was starting to seperate and the thread that it was unraveling. I was pretty deflated needless to say. Well,.... I went to the dealership and they stated that they did have the parts in to fix the rub marks and they would scheadule a time for me to come in. I then showed the service guy the passenger side where the seam was starting to seperate and the thread was unraveling. His response was "Oh man,.. that's not good". I then asked him if he could find the general manager and bring him out. A short time later the General manager came out and saw what I was talking about and he seemed to be truely concerned. I told him of my reluctance to have the top replaced on my brand new car. He then asked me what he could do to make me feel good again. I told him that after looking at the problems with the tops that I was now ver gun shy of the convertable. I told him that I loved the convertable BUT, I wanted a car that would last 5+ years and a car that I could enjoy 5+ years. He then asked what it would take and I told him I wanted in a new coupe 2SS. He then called out the service manager and asked what needed to be done with my top and he stated it needed a new top. He then told me that he and the Owner of the dealership would start searching for something and they will do their very best to make me and my wife happy no matter what it took. I trust they will do their very best, but I am pretty bummed out right now though.
I just couldnt go through what some of the others have gone through with their tops being replaced time and time again. This car was supposed to be a gift for my wife it was her dream car and I just dont want her dream car to turn into a nightmare over the long haul.
shaggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Keep us posted
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
shaggy1
The thin blue line

PICS of top

Here is a few pics of the seam area.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy1 View Post
I had noticed appx a week or so ago that I was starting to have the "rub" marks on my top and I took my car in to the dealership and the service mgr filled out all the paperwork and got the "tape-parts" in to do the fix. ...
Wow, shaggy1, you have a great dealer! Sorry to hear of your problems.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
shaggy1
The thin blue line

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
Wow, shaggy1, you have a great dealer! Sorry to hear of your problems.
Well,... I hope it works out well. The deal aint done yet,.....LOL
Old 09-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
shaggy1
The thin blue line

Well,..... now it's decision time. When I had the dealer look for me a car I told him the requirements were a 2SS/RS, LS3/M6, with sunroof, color didnt matter. He found me a 2011, 2SS/RS, Silver Ice Metallic, black int., LS3,M6 with a sunroof. AND,... he stated that there wasnt a 2012 2SS/RS within 500 miles that would be an LS3/M6 with a sunroof .In the end,... he stated he would take 50% of the loss of my vert in trade if I would take the other 50% in order to keep a happy customer. I did the math and looks like it will cost me $2,000 to get a new car, and I put 1750 miles on my vert so far. I'm thinking this seems pretty fair. Any other opinions?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
I dunno. With the option of keeping your vert and having them put a new top on it under warranty, saving $2k off the bat, not sure I'd go with a 2011 that has already depreciated $3,000 to $4,000 with no miles on it just because of its model year. Also you'd be trading for a car that will most ikely have less resale value in the end (non-vert). Imho, the deal would work very well - for the dealer!!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Keep your car until A: Chevy finally fixes their defect in engineering on these tops B: Keep fixing then lemon law the bitch C: Trade it in for something different. I would tell the dealer that you will do an even swap the 12 for the 2SS coupe.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
shaggy1
The thin blue line

In all honesty,.... I'd much rathar keep my vert but I was just nervous about having my top replaced because the guy in my town who they would contract to do the work has never done a new Camaro. Also,... Do dealerships provide loaners when they are gonna have a vehicle for awhile like with a top replacement? In my opinion I think the Camaro vert is just the best looking muscle car Vert made and getting a coupe with a sunroof would just be "settling" for something less that what I want. BUT,..... I really don't wanna have to be without my vert for an extended period of time while they let some new guy "experiment" with replacing the top on my new vert. I'm gonna talk with the GM again early in the morning and see if he is willing to stand behind my vert and provide me with a loaner for the time it's being repaired and send it to an experienced repair guy even if it's 100 miles away, and back me until it's done and is in like new condition.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
Hope this works out for you, let us know.
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Just got my car back from replacing the top last week. Make sure you demand a loaner, it should be cover by the service. They had my car for three full days.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
mtmtx

Drives: 2SS/RS convertible, 6M
Send a message via Yahoo to mtmtx
if you don't mind saying, who is the dealer?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #13
BBaxter

Drives: Camaro
I saw a 5th gen convertible on the opposite side of the highway then me the other day. Top up. Dang you should have seen the fabric top flappin away in the wind, right on the side behind the window. I couldn't believe it. Unbelievable the low quality of these vert tops!
BBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
So basically, because you see a few thread ends showing, instead of letting them trim the ends of the threads off and waiting a bit to see if it is indeed seperating at the seam vs. just a few loose threads, or of giving them a chance to make it right by replacing the top, you are asking for a brand new car?

Give them a chance to fix it. AFTER they have replaced the top (if that's what it comes to) and it still isn't right, THEN start talking about alternative solutions.

I've had my top replaced because of the rub marks, and the new top is perfect. No rub marks, no wind noise, no wrinkles, etc.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote