Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Any aftermarket lifters quieter than the stock LS3 lifters?

Question about lifters. Has anyone solved the LS3 ticking valvetrain by changing the lifters? Either to new stock lifters or an aftermarket brand?

Mine has LT headers and is noticeably ticky especially when driving past something with the windows down. I know some of it is the normal header sound, but with a stethoscope on the valve cover, sounds like some ticking going on under the valve covers also.

I popped both valve covers off, everthing looks perfect with the rockers and springs. I was thinking of popping the heads off this winter and changing the lifters. Is there an aftermarket brand anyone is finding more quiet than the OE lifters, or should I just stick some new OE lifters in the cylinders that sound the loudest to the stethoscope?
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Question about lifters. Has anyone solved the LS3 ticking valvetrain by changing the lifters? Either to new stock lifters or an aftermarket brand?

Mine has LT headers and is noticeably ticky especially when driving past something with the windows down. I know some of it is the normal header sound, but with a stethoscope on the valve cover, sounds like some ticking going on under the valve covers also.

I popped both valve covers off, everthing looks perfect with the rockers and springs. I was thinking of popping the heads off this winter and changing the lifters. Is there an aftermarket brand anyone is finding more quiet than the OE lifters, or should I just stick some new OE lifters in the cylinders that sound the loudest to the stethoscope?
What oil are you using?

And How many Quarts on an Oil change are you putting in?
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Russell James

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
What oil are you using?

5w30 synthetic. Pennzoil Ultra. Last summer I used a 10w30 synthetic, sounded the same. Putting in 8 qts and it never burns any, always full.

It is a bit more noticeable when the motor and oil is hot after some driving. On a cold start it is pretty quiet. After it gets hot, seems to be ticky at idle and low rpms.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
B Mccue

Drives: 2011 1ss ls3
I thought it was the roller rockers, I had a set on my old chevy pickup and they sounded the same as my ls3.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
The only way to quiet the lifter(s) are to add preload, which will hurt performance and lower the life of the lifter.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
5w30 synthetic. Pennzoil Ultra. Last summer I used a 10w30 synthetic, sounded the same. Putting in 8 qts and it never burns any, always full.

It is a bit more noticeable when the motor and oil is hot after some driving. On a cold start it is pretty quiet. After it gets hot, seems to be ticky at idle and low rpms.
Bingo we have a winner!!!

First use Mobil 1 Synthetic 10/30 then only put 7 quarts in, your overfilling your crankcase which aerates the oil and causes lifter noise.

You oil level does NOT have to be on the top line of the dipstick I suggest to run it just above the Add line.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
if you have headers you are going to have a noisy valvetrain

add a cam and cutouts and you will no longer hear the ticking
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
boat rx

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
Quote:
What oil are you using?

I have 231/236 cam ,trunnion upgrade on rockers,new lifters at time of cam install and LT'S and it sounds 100% the same as you describe.I have checked everything as you did and all is good.I have several friends with same types of set ups and all are noisey.Running next to a wall on highway with window down you really can hear it. Sorry I did not mean to quote Ted,just sharing my experiances.
boat rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Russell James

Quote:
Bingo we have a winner!!!

First use Mobil 1 Synthetic 10/30 then only put 7 quarts in, your overfilling your crankcase which aerates the oil and causes lifter noise.

You oil level does NOT have to be on the top line of the dipstick I suggest to run it just above the Add line.

Ted.
OK, thanks, I'll give that a try.

update.... it was just the headers. Over the weekend I put all the OE exhaust back on (might be trading in soon and wanted it back to stock), and now it's quiet. Also rode in a friend's Vette with LT's and it sounded exactly like mine when the headers were on.

Last edited by Russell James; 10-12-2011 at 07:46 PM.