Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #477
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Bump for sit-rep/update.

Cheyanne may not happen after all.. even though they're getting a 2013 they may also keep the old girl for 'farm duty'. That said I'm erring on the side of not having anything for the winter - not even the T/A.

Why?

I have "1/1000th" of tread left on my rears and anything above 45mph puts the ass in a tumble dry. Therefore she's parked until further notice unless I have to hop to the store down the street.

Sucks, but better than chancing something.

700 bucks to put new rubber on the car, BFG G-Force A/S. Send the Speedlines (4 of them - scrapping the other three) out to Weld craft and then off to powdercoat.

After that, Tax refund money nets LS7 clutch-Ram Aluminum Flywheel/Tick Adj. MC/LS1-6-7 Slave & Throwout bearing/Rear main seal/Pilot bearing. Clutch is just sloppy as FUUUUUUU now.. others driving it (as well as I) are thinking that the whole setup suffered from sitting and it's a result of system shock.

I'll probably be doing the install (Happy Spike.. know you're holding your breath) because after watching how-tos my only qualm is bleeding the clutch. But I might as well learn.

After that, Hawks HPS/HP+ Pads and probably the stock rotors again. If the money flow continues to cooperate - Subframes and work to the rear suspension. That'll take me into next winter.

Comments, Opinions? Just tossing around ideas.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #478
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
I'd go with a Monster stg1 rather than the LS7, but that's just me.

Actually, I'd go with a stage 2 in your situation.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #479
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
I'd go with a Monster stg1 rather than the LS7, but that's just me.

Actually, I'd go with a stage 2 in your situation.
You ever use them? I'm just wary of buying a clutch that's more oriented toward strip racing when I'd rather have one built for constant shifting (up and down) and coupling it with a good upgraded hydraulic system so I can cut some of the slack out of what I have now.

Thinking a pulley swap may also remedy some of the slop I get with the motor being slow to match trans/wheel speeds or to snap back to idle.

Also finding the car is having too much give lately suspension wise- wondering if anyone personally tried Billisten, Konis, or QA1s. I'm set on Stranos though.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #480
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

I've never used the Monster clutches, but the Stage 1 was made to directly compete with the LS7 -- and it's supposedly smoother. It's not until one steps up to a Stage 4 that you'd need to bang through the gears every time I'll personally be going with a Stage 3 when it's time to upgrade, but I don't drive the car much. If it were my DD, I'd go with a Stage 2 without hesitation.

As for suspension... if you're apprehensive about a stronger clutch, you may want to reconsider your suspension preferences. While I'd personally not be concerned, that you seem a bit more sensitive (I mean this with no disrespect -- just no better way to explain it ), perhaps a setup not specifically geared for open track may be better.

I'm happy with my SLP setup (SLP-spec Eibach and SLP-spec Bilstein). The car isn't slammed like it would be with Strano springs, but it's a well-rounded personality that's only hindered by the all-season tires I'm still running.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #481
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

I actually did not know that.. Huh.

But I'm not afraid of a stronger clutch (or am I misreading something?), in fact I want it stiffer. I know now that its mostly my timid nature on going all in on it yeah, but its not all that bad seeing how far I've come. Mostly by keeping Spikes adage in mind: don't race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff. While not literally ready and willing to toss it off a cliff, I'm slowly coming to peace with the car getting busted up time to time.

Namely because lately it has.. (Lol pos DeCarbons)

What I want is to just plunk the cash down and not have to do 3 upgrades when I know clutch X is where I want to be. I'm also at a point where the car may not be a daily much longer. I also know that I want an open track car rather than a strip car because I actually like taking hard corners with the car. Drag racing.. Kinda eh. Ask Derek lol.

That said even if I can't re-center the rear and nothing levels or lines up like it should have stock, I'm cool. I want this to be a "show car" that I can romp on.

My ZL1.

And after looking up an LS1 clutch install.. It's not all bad. Working on these cars aren't all that bad. They're not third gen easy, but its not a nightmare either. And that's what I'm working on- my willingness to just break it, say **** it, and put component X on the bench and fix it.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #482
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

I honestly feel 4th gens are easier than 3rd gens -- even if only for not having to pack wheel bearings for each brake change.

Clutch installs are simple, too. It's helpful to have a friend or two for removing and reinstalling the transmission, but certainly not required (just makes life easier). I've done them on my back and with a lift, so...

Bleeding the clutch hydraulics is the most annoying part, and I'd certainly suggest having two other friends to help -- one to pump the clutch pedal, one below to open/close the bleeder valve on the slave, and another watching the reservoir ensuring fluid doesn't get low. People talk about the MityVac method, but I never liked it.

If it matters, you've come along way in the four years I've "known" you from posting here and 5thgen.org
Old 12-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #483
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
in fact I want it stiffer.
thats what she said...

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #484
OVRKILL

Drives: 01SS
Quote:
I want this to be a "show car" that I can romp on.
This I like....
Old 12-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #485
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKILL View Post
This I like....
I'm tempted to enter it in Autorama this year but it's just not going to be ready with all the loose ends I want to tie up.

After thinking about it I think I'm going to do a quasi-"two tone" interior treatment (similar to the Camel factory interior) but using black plastics and a saddle tan headliner/leather combo. Easy to come by black plastics and she's in need of a headliner.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #486
OVRKILL

Drives: 01SS
Quote:
I'm tempted to enter it in Autorama this year but it's just not going to be ready with all the loose ends I want to tie up.
Kicked that around myself.....might be done with my winter list by then.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #487
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Did snag one thing for my Autorama list out of the blue today.. should be here in a week or so.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #488
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Bump for 'It's here...'

Used, minor scuffing from where the cones came in contact with the housing. Gonna have to re-order a RA sticker since that one is starting to peel. Actually got all the hardware for it too (including the IAT sensor!). Was expecting the radiator support to be flimsier but it's actually pretty stout.

Gonna pop it on tomorrow morning since it's like 17* out and I'm not f'king around in the garage with it that cold.. :/ Vids to come for those who don't know what this thing sounds like; there is a unique Volant sound.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #489
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

That will work real nice with a WS6 hood.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #490
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
That will work real nice with a WS6 hood.
Right now I'm seeing that as an issue because the Volant is actually just as tall as the stock sleek beak box. May have to modify the Volant with an LT1 Upper support to sit on in order to get it to sit higher for a WS6/RA hood.

On a side note I did find one for 250 that needs some filler and paint.. Obviously in my case it would need paint since my car never came as a WS6 to begin with

Plan there would be to pull off one of these.

Granted I would engineer some reinforcing the nose with some inner support structure because both guys had failures 1 year or so out.