Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #561
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
I called ACDelco, since they are the division of GM that makes the alternator. If anyone would have that part, they would. Of course they guy tells me that no parts are available, and the only way to get that part is to purchase the whole alternator. He said that he used to work at a chevy dealership for 17 years. He told me it would be covered under warranty if it was supposed to be there but it isn't. I told him that I damaged it taking it off, and he told me again that it would be covered under warranty. However, the last thing that I want to happen is the dealership to pull off my alternator and put on a new one. I found it the cheapest at amazon...$160.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #562
WhiteLighting2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/2SS White/Black
572hp you could try using epoxy on the hole and see if it holds up. Does anyone have a pic of the abs relocation as far as where the lines run under the hood? I'm pretty good with a tubing bender and a flare tool, I think I might have to give this a try.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #563
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post
some of my chrome arrived today...billet hood hinges/ power steering pulley/ power steering bracket/thermostat housing
Bmbbl, can you post some pics when get them install. I really like what your doing with your whole setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Indy Pace View Post

Sorry to hear that man, I guess that stuff has to happen to somebody so the rest of us learn ... I suppose thanks are in order - for taking one for the "team" !
Indy, but I think 572HP would have rather had those honors go to someone else.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:27 AM   #564
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Indy, but I think 572HP would have rather had those honors go to someone else.
You are correct! I'd rather these honors go to someone else.

The shop is supposed to have all of my accessories ready today.

I also called ARP the other day, just to be another person asking for the 140mm bolts for the alternator. They confirmed that 140mm isn't a bolt that they carry, but suggested that I call their "special order" department. Ah, things are looking up! So I talk to this guy who asks me all of the questions as to what I want. I give him all of the dimensions, thread length, etc. Then he says that he'll get me a quote together. Looking up, right? Yeah, that is what I thought. I asked him what is a good ballpark for how much they will cost. He then tells me: oh...somewhere between $500 and $600. I quickly said, "no thanks".
Old 03-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #565
NC-V

Drives: cts-v
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post

I also called ARP the other day, just to be another person asking for the 140mm bolts for the alternator. They confirmed that 140mm isn't a bolt that they carry, but suggested that I call their "special order" department. Ah, things are looking up! So I talk to this guy who asks me all of the questions as to what I want. I give him all of the dimensions, thread length, etc. Then he says that he'll get me a quote together. Looking up, right? Yeah, that is what I thought. I asked him what is a good ballpark for how much they will cost. He then tells me: oh...somewhere between $500 and $600. I quickly said, "no thanks".
Have you tried Totally Stainless? That is where we get a lot of our bolt kits for our customs, and we have had them make custom fasteners for us before. Also they always seem to want to expand their offerings so if they don't have the fasteners made, they may be interested in making them in a kit. I believe this is their number: 1.800.767.4781
NC-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #566
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Quote:

not sure what size you need ,,but mcmaster carr has some sizes up to 150 mm in stainless

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=gor1oh
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #567
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I buy all of my bolts from Totally Stainless. They have a great selection.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #568
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
Have you tried Totally Stainless? That is where we get a lot of our bolt kits for our customs, and we have had them make custom fasteners for us before. Also they always seem to want to expand their offerings so if they don't have the fasteners made, they may be interested in making them in a kit. I believe this is their number: 1.800.767.4781
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post
not sure what size you need ,,but mcmaster carr has some sizes up to 150 mm in stainless

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=gor1oh
Both of these are great resources...thanks. I have already bought a lot of the ARP black oxide 12-point bolts for everything else. If I could find something that matched them, then I'd go for it. I'll just paint the stock ones until/if I can find matching bolts.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #569
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
So for the alternator, I had it taken apart, and found that all of the pieces couldn't come off the case to allow me to powder coat it. So I decided to let them sand it a little, and spray it with black satin paint. No problem, because it is down so low.

However, the L99s have a dust cover on the front of the pulley. I worked on getting this off for a long time, and being frustrated, I just shoved a screwdriver through the plastic part. Presto. Came right off. Inside the cap was a lot of grease. I figured I would just have to order another. It must have something to do with a clutch in the alternator being part of the L99. Well I call our good friends at GMPartsHouse. Come to find out, there aren't any parts available for the alternator. So to replace a $1 piece of plastic (ok, $5 dollars), I'm looking at $206 for a new alternator. Then I am back to where I was...needing to get the dust cover off. If I can find the old dust cover, maybe I can repair the hole in it and get it to stay on.

Anyone got any other ideas?
Is it an L99? I know SC2150 had a thread on a special tool needed to remove the pulley. Might as well buy the billet pulley set that he sells and then you'll get some bling out of it instead of replacing a perfectly fine alternator. Its either that or epoxy the hole shut, I assume it's just a grease dust seal correct?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=pulley
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #570
NEGXXIS

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
Quote:
Come to find out, there aren't any parts available for the alternator. So to replace a $1 piece of plastic (ok, $5 dollars), I'm looking at $206 for a new alternator. Then I am back to where I was...needing to get the dust cover off. If I can find the old dust cover, maybe I can repair the hole in it and get it to stay on.

Anyone got any other ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Is it an L99? I know SC2150 had a thread on a special tool needed to remove the pulley. Might as well buy the billet pulley set that he sells and then you'll get some bling out of it instead of replacing a perfectly fine alternator. Its either that or epoxy the hole shut, I assume it's just a grease dust seal correct?

I swapped my L99 alternator pulley to a billet one from SC2150. Actually I have all his pulleys except for the Crank pulley which is Innovaors West and my KB supercharger pulley(s)
Yes you need the specail tool to remove the L99 pulley, I just happened to have that tool left over from installing an Edelbrock supercharger on a customers 2007 Mustang a couple of years ago. But I trashed my little grease cap also trying to get it off....wished I had not messed it up and I would send it to ya.
SOLD 2019 Camaro SS -Wrapped in Matte Magnectic Black - Anderson Carbon Hood and Rear Spoiler – Ikon front spoiler – OEM ZL1 Side Rockers - ZL1 Addons Diffuser - BMR 1.0” Lowering Springs - MRR 228 Wheels 20x10 and 20x11
RIP 2016 Camaro SS https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565453
SOLD 2010 Camaro SS Featured in GM High Tech Performance and Camaro Now Magazines - http://www.superchevy.com/features/g...of-perfection/
NEGXXIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #571
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ SPEED View Post
I swapped my L99 alternator pulley to a billet one from SC2150. Actually I have all his pulleys except for the Crank pulley which is Innovaors West and my KB supercharger pulley(s)
Yes you need the specail tool to remove the L99 pulley, I just happened to have that tool left over from installing an Edelbrock supercharger on a customers 2007 Mustang a couple of years ago. But I trashed my little grease cap also trying to get it off....wished I had not messed it up and I would send it to ya.
Thanks guys, I'll check with Tracy about his pulleys. It just seems like he does away with the clutch for the L99. Do you guys run without the clutch on the L99 alternator now? Any idea why the L99 has a clutch and the LS3 doesn't?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #572
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Okay guys, I need a little help. I'm trying to de-pin a few of the connectors around my engine so I can get some heat shrink tubing over the wires. I have the Russell "Wrap-It" stuff, and would like to add some heat shrink to the ends where the wrap stops. I was looking at the MAF Sensor connector last night and I can't for life of me figure out how to get the pins out?!?!? I have two connector pin tools, Lisle 14900 and Lisle 56500, and I don't see how either one of them will work to get the pins out. There is a larger hole in the end of the connector where the mating male pin stick in, and there is a very tiny hole right above the bigger one. I tried poking and prying around a bit in the bigger hole while pulling on the back of the wires and got nothing. None of the tool pins will fit in the smaller holes, they're too tiny. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lisle 14900 is designed for Pack-Con and Weather-Pack terminals on GM C3 Systems.

Lisle 56500 designed to remove wires from terminals without damage to either. 56500 prongs depress the -In. barbs-In. on conventional terminals.
Attached Images

blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #573
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Thanks guys, I'll check with Tracy about his pulleys. It just seems like he does away with the clutch for the L99. Do you guys run without the clutch on the L99 alternator now? Any idea why the L99 has a clutch and the LS3 doesn't?
To prevent clutch envy for guys who bought autos?
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #574
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
To prevent clutch envy for guys who bought autos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Okay guys, I need a little help. I'm trying to de-pin a few of the connectors around my engine so I can get some heat shrink tubing over the wires. I have the Russell "Wrap-It" stuff, and would like to add some heat shrink to the ends where the wrap stops. I was looking at the MAF Sensor connector last night and I can't for life of me figure out how to get the pins out?!?!? I have two connector pin tools, Lisle 14900 and Lisle 56500, and I don't see how either one of them will work to get the pins out. There is a larger hole in the end of the connector where the mating male pin stick in, and there is a very tiny hole right above the bigger one. I tried poking and prying around a bit in the bigger hole while pulling on the back of the wires and got nothing. None of the tool pins will fit in the smaller holes, they're too tiny. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lisle 14900 is designed for Pack-Con and Weather-Pack terminals on GM C3 Systems.

Lisle 56500 designed to remove wires from terminals without damage to either. 56500 prongs depress the -In. barbs-In. on conventional terminals.
Blazzin, I just left a message for Brandon at Casper Electronics regarding the ABS harness. I will ask him when he calls. Those guys are awesome. This is what they do.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote