Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2012, 04:35 AM   #1
USARCPT

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS TF3 LS3
T3 21" Wheels

Has anybody here either separately purchased or initially purchased the 21" T3-inspired wheels? Parts 92229349 and 92229353 (not sure if the rules permit urls, so I'll simply let the reader search as s/he chooses).

If so, what say you re: installation, any difference in drive or performance, etc. after installation with tires?

Of course there are all sorts of wheels and all sorts of prices, and yet I actually like these and they naturally are a close look to the ones featured in T3.

Owners of these: thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAR2LT View Post
Has anybody here either separately purchased or initially purchased the 21" T3-inspired wheels? Parts 92229349 and 92229353 (not sure if the rules permit urls, so I'll simply let the reader search as s/he chooses).

If so, what say you re: installation, any difference in drive or performance, etc. after installation with tires?

Of course there are all sorts of wheels and all sorts of prices, and yet I actually like these and they naturally are a close look to the ones featured in T3.

Owners of these: thoughts? Thanks in advance!
I have them....I bought the car used with these wheels and had the other set of tires 20s that come with the ss, but never had those on and sold them. Going to a bigger rim your going to give up performance from a 20 to 21. although I found with the 21s is a nice compromise between looks and performance. I've heard from other camaro friends 22s you have to really be careful from damaging the rims and harsher ride, but coilovers can help soften the ride some. With 21s tires are more expensive then 20s, but pricies on 21s have been coming down. Tires sizes are limited in the 21s and only a small number of tire manufactures make them. The biggest you can get is 305 rears but that's pushing it with the wheels because there not wide enough to take that size tire. I was told this by dicount tire. unless you had the wheels widened. I'm actually going to a 20 and wider wheels, because I just installed a supercharger and the narrow tires won't give me enough traction. The only knock in my opionion with the 21s your talking about. I like a tire that fills the wheel wells, can't do that with these wheels narrow rims. And the rims look great looking at them from the side of the car, love the look, but from the back looking at the wheel........never been crazy about the protruding spokes. I wish the spokes were more flush or concave looking. just my opionion. I hope this helps

Last edited by lionssfan; 04-26-2012 at 11:42 AM.
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
meltyface

Drives: 2010 1SS CGM LS3 w/ blk rally
I had the black and chrome 21s, they looked and handled great, but I got rid of them because I couldn't justify spending over $2k each time I needed a new set of tires. I'd suggest researching tires for those wheels before you buy them so that you know how much they will be running you in the future.
Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ high flow cats, Borla x-pipe, Borla Stinger exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, markers, tail and reverse lights plus parking light blackouts, body colored bowties, body colored SS emblems, Passport 9500 radar detector (a must have), Kenwood DNX9960 radio w/ metra kit. Matte Black Giovanna Dalar 5V: 20x8.5 & 20x10 wheels

Mods in the future:
Relocating guts of "shark fin" and removing it, cam, super charge/turbo?...unsure what after that...

Gotta have MORE power!!
meltyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
USARCPT

Thanks for those who've chimed in! Obviously I can google prices (and have) but could never get the first-person perspective you've shared!

Keep 'em comin'!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
USARCPT

Sorry for necro-posting in my own thread, but I've come into some information and I'm having a difficult time distinguishing.

#1. Are the 21" wheels in the front a different size than those in the rear? For example, 8.5 up front, 9.5 in back? Or rather, is the intent for all four wheels to be the same?

#2. I'm trying to comprehend the (a) price difference and (b) any other reason between GM wheels 92230281 and 92229353

Sure do appreciate any insight on one/both of these!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
I know fronts and rears are different but i cant remember how much different.
but here are the tire sizes if it helps:
245/40ZR21 summer (front)
275/35ZR21 summer (rear)

Also there are some Continental tires that can be used with this rim that are about half the price of the PZeros.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
USARCPT

What's really irking me is why there is a $100 difference between the two wheels/rims.... Tires are clear enough...I just can't understand the distinction between the two wheels.

Hmph.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Enzo

Drives: 2013 IOM ZL1
Yes they are supposed to staggered. The rears are going to be more expensive than the fronts because they are wider. For the price these wheels are worth you are better off getting forged wheels in 20s or 22s. Although I think 21s probably look the best on this car the limited tire selection and high price of 21" tires aren't really worth it IMO. Performance will take a hit as these are heavier than the stock 20s. I did feel the car a bit sluggish after installing these and the ride was also a bit harsher but not bad. I sold mine awhile back and don't regret it.
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Yes they are supposed to staggered. The rears are going to be more expensive than the fronts because they are wider. For the price these wheels are worth you are better off getting forged wheels in 20s or 22s. Although I think 21s probably look the best on this car the limited tire selection and high price of 21" tires aren't really worth it IMO. Performance will take a hit as these are heavier than the stock 20s. I did feel the car a bit sluggish after installing these and the ride was also a bit harsher but not bad. I sold mine awhile back and don't regret it.
I agree, if you are buying them new you might was well but Forged wheels. But if you can get a good deal, go for it.