Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
spckatnip

Drives: '11 2SS/RS 'Vert
Need expert audio assistance and advice.

All,

I need some assistance. I am installing the following in my Convertible with Boston Accoustic system.

Alpine INA-W910 with dash kit
******** 10" large box cut for a JL 10W7
******** FARK Kit (X2 and X3 cable)
******** Amp Mounting board
JL 10W7 subwoofer
JL XD400/4 Amp

I did not plan on doing this install myself and was going to a local shop once they get my dash kit in. I mention the XD amp and they said it is not good enough for this system and have recommended I run the HD 900/5 instead, because I would be underpowering the sub and possibly damage it. They were also planning on running everything off of the the head unit until I told them that was what the dash kit and FARK kit was for so I did not have to run any new wiring it was using all the existing parts of the audio system, I am merely replacing the head unit and amp.

1. Is this accurate?
2. Am I being snowballed?
3. Has anyone else installed this setup in their convertible?
4. If so has there been problems?
5. Anything else I should know or be wary of?

Thanks very much
spckatnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
If your in wi I'd love to help.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
spckatnip

Sorry, no I am in San Antonio Texas.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
The XD400/4, at 12.5V, is rated at

@ 4 Ω 60 W RMS x 4
@ 2 Ω 90 W RMS x 4
Bridged @ 4Ω 180 W RMS x 2

The 10W7 is RMS rated at 750W, with 500w being the bottom end of recommended rms range.

That amp is not strong enough to drive that subwoofer. I would recommend the XD 600/1 at least. That amp can drive your front channels well. If you don't want that much power, than save yourself the money and go with a different sub.

You don't have to stick with JL either. They have name recognition, but there are better less expensive alternatives.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
usmcjlp

Here is a link to an install from JL Audio's site:
http://www.jlaudio.com/galleries/Mob...+Camaro/712745

You'll see they are using an XD600/1 per 10W6.

Those JL subs are very power hungry. You should always have as much power as possible. You damage speakers when amps clip.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Math

Drives: 2013 ZL1
you lost me at your amp...

So I am assuming you are going to use the xd400 to power your factory BA's?

You still need a amp for that 10w7...

Honestly just going through what I have soo far with my wifes car this is what I would suggest:

1. INA-w910bt (head unit is a good choice)
2. PXA-H100 (Sound processor) $145
3. KTX-H100 (tuning kit for sound processor) $30
4. KTX-CMO (Alpine Camaro perfect fit kit or go with the schosche one) $350
5. KCX-OSMGM (Onstar module for the perfect fit kit) $150

Now you have some dollars and cents choices from here cause like everything you can spend as much as you want on improvements. For me and my cost/performance research here is a narrow list of choices I choose from:

Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5 component set or the Arc Audio Black 6.5 comp set. I don't think you could go wrong either way and while i ended up going with the Clarus basically at a price comparison the local shop that sold the ARC blacks said they would have priced matched so its a wash really whatever you feel. I will say that I also got a set of mirus 6x9's for fill in the back but im not sure you need this if you go with a sub.

Get a good amp to push them, I used the pdx-f4 from alpine because its a full range class d amp and its efficient. It pushes them great and they sound fan-freakin-tastic.

I would listen to that and then decide if you still need a sub, this was a TON more sound than I expected.

I ordered the clarus 6.5's, the mirus 6x9's and the baffles from ********, call up steve he will be happy to help you out there with getting you a price.

My setup is intended for shows so we are doing a sub and some crazy enclosure it is being installed this week, but I ended up going with RE Audio SXX sub over the JL but i inteded to go with the same sub you had listed when I started this whole project. My local guy gave me a deal and honestly it just sounded better in comparison.

I am going with the Alpine PDX-M12 to power it mainly due to aesthetic reasons and that I already had the PDX-F4 that i wanted to match.

Hope this helped if you have an specific questions let me know I would be happy to give you my experience at any rate.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
I have the pdx m12 and the pdx m4 in my convertible both r very good amps.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
spckatnip

USMC,

Thanks for the synapsis

Math,

I will be doing car shows but nothing crazy just local car show events. I was planning on running the whole system with the XD400 in place of the Boston Amp. Now it seems that one is not enough to run everything so either I need a different amp for the sub or a bigger amp (wattage wise) to run everything. I am leaving everything else in the car for now. I may upgrade the speakers and that at a later date.

ToddB,

Thanks.

All,

So I could do either of the following.

1. Keep the XD400/4 to put in place of my BA amp with the FARK and purchase a second mono-channel amp that has at least 500 watts. (If I do this is are they totally seperate or are they chained together?)

or

2. Get a five channel amp that uses four channels for the X3 cable on the FARK and the 5th channel is a mono-channel out that has to have at least 500 watts to power the sub.

Are these the correct options? As to the second option it does look like the HD900/5 is good but what are some other brands? I would hate to damage a decent investment pricewise so would a second amp be a better option so it is run at optimal RMS or is the HD900 safe (or its equivalent)?
Old 04-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
black12lt

Drives: black 1lt 2012
Both are viable options. I've always run 2 amps, one for mids and a separate for the sub. I use the xd400/4 for the speakers and a mpr500 for my old type r
black12lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
black12lt

*mrp 500
Old 04-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
Math

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Cool man, sounds like a good plan.

I'm not sure it matters too much about 5 channel vs a 4 channel and a mono but i would say that that sub you picked eats power so i would lean toward a big mono to push it.

That said I really cant stress enough that you should go listen to some upgraded components first before you decide to drop all the cash on a sub and amps to push it. The sound clearity, loudness, is just a hell of a lot better with upgrading the factory speakers, and that imprint sound processor really helps too. But im really like clean sound over heavy bass myself, its all personal preference but its fun to play around with new mods!

Good Luck!
Old 04-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
black12lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math View Post
Cool man, sounds like a good plan.

I'm not sure it matters too much about 5 channel vs a 4 channel and a mono but i would say that that sub you picked eats power so i would lean toward a big mono to push it.

That said I really cant stress enough that you should go listen to some upgraded components first before you decide to drop all the cash on a sub and amps to push it. The sound clearity, loudness, is just a hell of a lot better with upgrading the factory speakers, and that imprint sound processor really helps too. But im really like clean sound over heavy bass myself, its all personal preference but its fun to play around with new mods!

Good Luck!
+1 to clean sound over heavy bass.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
spckatnip

All,

Thanks for your help. I have decided to go with a 4 channel to replace the BA amp and then get a mono channel to run the sub. At this time I won't be upgrading my factory speakers but I will start doing research on them for a future mod. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
usmcjlp

Good choice. Buy as much amp as you can afford. Extra power = cleaner, dynamic headroom. Don't make the mistake that a lot of folks do, 1000 watts to a sub and 50 watts to the their mids and highs.