Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Hlogan220

Drives: Chevy camaro 2012 2lt
Oil change price?

This is my first oil change and i called for several retail oil change services to get a quote and Midas says 89.95, Oil Changers 40.35, firestone 79.95 and other smaller shops around 60 to 80...
I thought average oil change cost was about 20 to 30?

Where is a good reasonably priced oil changing service?
Hlogan220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
1st off you need 6 quarts. 2nd The 2012 come with a Synthetic blend, so they are either quoting you on that or full Synthetic. Tell them you want 6 of regular oil, it should be much less, although I would not put regular oil in these engines.

Plus whatever you use needs to be Dexos 1 approved to help maintain your cars warranty.

FYI - You can do it yourself for around $35 using Mobil 1 synthetic. Changing oil on the V6 is a peice of cake.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
The SwiftChancelor

Drives: SGM, 2011 2SS/RS, L99
Not in these cars. They take a lot of premium oil if Im not mistaken. My dealership charges around $75.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
You should consider DIY.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
The v6 engine oil capacity is 7.6 qts, be thankful you don't have the SS with an 8.9 wt oil capacity.

I find it's cheapest to supply your own oil as where that's where most of the mark up is, and you KNOW what youre getting. I buy my own oil, and my dealer charges me $15 for the filter, labor, and disposal of the old oil.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
The v6 engine oil capacity is 7.6 qts, be thankful you don't have the SS with an 8.9 wt oil capacity.

I find it's cheapest to supply your own oil as where that's where most of the mark up is, and you KNOW what youre getting. I buy my own oil, and my dealer charges me $15 for the filter, labor, and disposal of the old oil.
The V6 is 6 qts NOT 7.6 qts and the V8 is 8qts.

Here is some good info:

Engine- (GM recomends using synthetic engine oil)
LS3/L99: 8.0 qts........5W-30 Synthetic Oil(GM uses Mobil 1)
V6: 6.0 qts........5W-30 Synthetic Oil(GM uses Mobil 1)
^^Capacities are WITH replacement of oil filter
LS3/L99 Oil Filter: ACDelco PF48.........K&N HP-1017........Napa Gold 7060
V6: ACDelco PF2129............K&N HP-7003........Napa Gold 7090
Old 04-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Geez... dealer charged me $45+ tax for my oil change, and rotated the tires, checked other stuff/ fluids/ belts/ lights etc.

The DEALER.

A little off topic, BTW, but remember that ALL Jiffy Lube/ Midas/ Perp Boys are there to RIP YOU OFF. I've seen it many times personally, and there have been plenty of expose shows busting them out. And, many employees are quite frank about it: The price they charge for an oil change will not keep them in business. They MUST "find" other things to fix/ replace/ service on the majority of their vehicles. You can take a car in PERFECT condition, and they will "find" that your engine needs a complete flush (won't survive another 10 miles on just a weak- sauce oil change), your muffler bearings are bad, your flux capacitor needs a rebuild, your PIT valves need resizing, the seals in your cowfly need to be lubed... and you will ALWAYS need new wiper blades and an air filter. They do not like anybody to come in for the oil change, and just get the oil changed. They don't make money then... I could wax philosophical on this topic for hours on end... just remember, they are NOT there because they CARE about you, your family, your puppies and your kids... they are in business to "find" things to repair so that they will make a huge profit.

Just keep that in mind, and never, ever, agree to any of their suggested extra jobs. Ever. No, seriously... NEVER.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Geez... dealer charged me $45+ tax for my oil change, and rotated the tires, checked other stuff/ fluids/ belts/ lights etc.

The DEALER.

A little off topic, BTW, but remember that ALL Jiffy Lube/ Midas/ Perp Boys are there to RIP YOU OFF. I've seen it many times personally, and there have been plenty of expose shows busting them out. And, many employees are quite frank about it: The price they charge for an oil change will not keep them in business. They MUST "find" other things to fix/ replace/ service on the majority of their vehicles. You can take a car in PERFECT condition, and they will "find" that your engine needs a complete flush (won't survive another 10 miles on just a weak- sauce oil change), your muffler bearings are bad, your flux capacitor needs a rebuild, your PIT valves need resizing, the seals in your cowfly need to be lubed... and you will ALWAYS need new wiper blades and an air filter. They do not like anybody to come in for the oil change, and just get the oil changed. They don't make money then... I could wax philosophical on this topic for hours on end... just remember, they are NOT there because they CARE about you, your family, your puppies and your kids... they are in business to "find" things to repair so that they will make a huge profit.

Just keep that in mind, and never, ever, agree to any of their suggested extra jobs. Ever. No, seriously... NEVER.
And they gave you conventional oil, I could get that for $24.95 at a local shop so you actually got ripped off.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post

The DEALER.

Very well said, they will jab your eyes out if they can. Just like Firestone does.
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Yea, my dealer charges me around $90 for an oil change. BUT they hooked me up with this program where I paid $200 and got 6 oil changes.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlogan220 View Post
This is my first oil change and i called for several retail oil change services to get a quote and Midas says 89.95, Oil Changers 40.35, firestone 79.95 and other smaller shops around 60 to 80...
I thought average oil change cost was about 20 to 30?

Where is a good reasonably priced oil changing service?
Just got my oil changed at the dealer yesterday. 6 quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic, an oil filter and chasis lube for $64. The reason I used the dealer is they offer a 100K mile warranty on the drivetrain if all oil changes are done by them.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Scalded Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pincoin View Post
Very well said, they will jab your eyes out if they can. Just like Firestone does.
Yep... Firestone, Goodyear, Quickie Lube too. Any and all chains like that with "great" oil change specials... no money in the oil change, just in "finding" serious (watch the guy when he tells you what they luckily found, and just in time... he will look like he's just come back from his Dad's funeral, where Mom croaked on site... very somber, serious, and OH SO CONCERNED... concerned for the safety of you and your family...) problems with your car... and they can fix them RIGHT NOW, for only a couple hundred bucks.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Just got my oil changed at the dealer yesterday. 6 quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic, an oil filter and chasis lube for $64. The reason I used the dealer is they offer a 100K mile warranty on the drivetrain if all oil changes are done by them.
Call me confused, our cars already come with a 100K powertrain warranty, wouldn't that include the drivetrain? I think he scammed you!

Last edited by nyrfan; 04-06-2012 at 01:09 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #14
Scalded Dog

I go to the dealer, too, partly because if/ when warranty issues come up, I've got records and a paper trail that will prove that I have been religious about maintenance and keeping a close eye on all systems. No warranty rejection can be based on "the fella who did your oil changes screwed up..." because, it's the Chevy guy who does those...