Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
6.2L Raptor, 500hp Factory Truck.

This according to the latest issue of MyFord magazine.

Quote:
The 5.4-liter V-8 base engine produces 320 hp and 390 foot-pounds of torque*; a 500-hp, 6.2-liter V-8 engine, calibrated to handle the start-stop brutality of racing, will be available in summer 2009. So no, there's nothing quite like this truck.
I haven't seen this issue in person yet as I don't get Ford's proprietary mag anymore, but my brother has agreed to send me his when it arrives so if and when it gets here I'll scan the story. So far four or five people have confirmed that this is indeed what the article says.

Assuming this proves accurate it looks like Ford is getting ready to lay down some thunder. Worth noting, the Raptor R produces 500hp, but it seems unlikely that this is referring to the debut of the Raptor R since that truck is....well....already here. Moreso, long before this appeared in MyFord magazine 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords reported that the 500hp Raptor engine was then being touted by insiders as an essentially stock powertrain.

Again, all I can say is wow.

Last edited by syr74; 05-06-2009 at 08:07 PM.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Raptor is going to be nice - however, every single magazine and internet article I have read about this truck keeps on saying 400hp, 400ft-lbs, over and over and over.

And.... I don't think any form of the Mustang will get this engine as the 5.0l and new transmission will already cause a noticeable price increase weather it be an option or not. The GT500 is already complacent with boost, I'm sure Ford will manage to make some sort of overpriced limited (lol) edition Mustang for their anniversary or something.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
not bad lookin...
Attached Images

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Raptor is going to be nice - however, every single magazine and internet article I have read about this truck keeps on saying 400hp, 400ft-lbs, over and over and over.
Typically those have been cited as minimum power numbers by those in the know, not actual power predictions. Also worth noting, the SVT Raptor seems unlikely to get the bog standard version of this mill a F250 will. More importantly, this isn't from just any magazine, this is Ford's own publication and is, in effect, more like a press release than a magazine article. Unless there is a fairly serious typo above Ford is stating that this is a 500hp engine in SVT Raptor guise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k
And.... I don't think any form of the Mustang will get this engine as the 5.0l and new transmission will already cause a noticeable price increase weather it be an option or not. The GT500 is already complacent with boost, I'm sure Ford will manage to make some sort of overpriced limited (lol) edition Mustang for their anniversary or something.
No Mustang will get a version of this engine anytime soon. When the GT500's 5.4L goes away, which seems unlikely to happen anytime soon, the most likely candidate for a replacement mill.....if there even is one....is a GTDi 5.0L V8. Ford apparently has considered aluminum block, DOHC versions of the larger Boss V8 before, but at the moment none of those programs seems to be a going concern. For that matter even the 5.0 GTDi engine is on the back burner right now, but it does indeed seem to at least still have some life in it.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluch View Post
not bad lookin...
That is one hell of a step up from the ugly @$$ normal F-150. That thing looks mean as hell... like it's about to eat your head or something!!! Not a huge fan of the huge FORD across the grill, but it's growning on me.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
love the raptor, but if ur going to get one, dont get it with the 5.4, wait out for the 6.2
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
For sure, this will be my first vehicle after med school- it's always a pleasant surprise to end up with 100 more hp than expected too lol.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Lives On View Post
That is one hell of a step up from the ugly @$$ normal F-150. That thing looks mean as hell... like it's about to eat your head or something!!! Not a huge fan of the huge FORD across the grill, but it's growning on me.
first reaction was to the grill, but more i looked at the photo and sized up the truck, it's not half bad. bit of an extreme change from what i'm used to. i.e. i'm not used to logos being the size of the grille

caution, ridiculous idea incoming...

Mind you, being slightly biased... i'd still be more likely to drop a LS9 into a Sierra or Silverado
moto-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
180 more hp by going from 5.4 to 6.2L? Seems like that would require pretty high rpm to achieve those types of peak numbers. Either way it is impressive but I am guessing that hp peak is well above 6k rpm.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #10
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
Not bad. A custom grill would fix the nose and then you could buff off the paint they spilled on the bed!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
dkb

Drives: '94 RX7
very, very nice. They've picked up a lot of design details from the super duty's ...

I hope Ford kicks ass ....
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #12
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
The early press on that is pretty good too. I like it a lot. Unfortunately, my truck has to have a little higher tow rating or I'd consider something like that when it's time to replace my truck. oh well :(
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post

I've been hearing 500 for the 6.2L, 400 for the 5.0L.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote