Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
motley1987

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
1970 Monte Carlo barn find

So I came across a 70 monte carlo that a friend of mine's father had in a garage for years. Problem is, I'm guessing the windows were closed and the inside never had a chance to dry out while it was in storage. When I walked up to it I could smell the musty odor from 15 feet away. When I looked inside the smell was worse and the door panels had small white dots on them which I'm guessing is mold? The cloth bench seat also felt damp. I didn't feel the carpet but that probably was damp as well. My question is, what would be involved in getting the smell/mold out of the car? I would think a new carpet and upholstery would be a must. Would a strong cleaner take care of the door panels? Also, are there any other areas that would need addressing, like inside the door panels or the air vents? The car will be up for sale in the next few months so I wanted to know how bad of a situation this is if I wanted to try to buy it. The body looked good but the battery was out so I haven't heard it run yet. Thanks for any help or tips.

Ben
2011 IOM 1LT RS. K&N Typhoon CAI; Sequential taillights, SLP faded gill overlays, VMAX CNC ported TB, RX Ported IM, RX breather, 3/8" Black Ice-olator, OEM STB, 4 gauge pack, Alpine amp and sub, convertible spoiler, IOM painted rear diffuser, SS front and rear sways, SS front and rear struts and springs, Street Scene front splitter, IOM hideaway headlight covers, 5% window tint.
motley1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Define "years". As in can you estimate a number?
Old 06-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
DesertCamaro

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by motley1987 View Post
So I came across a 70 monte carlo that a friend of mine's father had in a garage for years. Problem is, I'm guessing the windows were closed and the inside never had a chance to dry out while it was in storage. When I walked up to it I could smell the musty odor from 15 feet away. When I looked inside the smell was worse and the door panels had small white dots on them which I'm guessing is mold? The cloth bench seat also felt damp. I didn't feel the carpet but that probably was damp as well. My question is, what would be involved in getting the smell/mold out of the car? I would think a new carpet and upholstery would be a must. Would a strong cleaner take care of the door panels? Also, are there any other areas that would need addressing, like inside the door panels or the air vents? The car will be up for sale in the next few months so I wanted to know how bad of a situation this is if I wanted to try to buy it. The body looked good but the battery was out so I haven't heard it run yet. Thanks for any help or tips.

Ben
If it was ME, and the car was worth it, completely new upholstery would be in order. I imagine that you could find everything from carpet, seat covers, headliner and door cards. While everything's out scrub the entire interior with bleach. Complete HVAC disassembly as well. I don't f*ck around with mold that stuff can kill you.
DesertCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I'd pass. Unless it was a really good deal. In which case I'd be ripping the thing apart the minute it entered my garage and cleaning everything.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
motley1987

I would say at least 10 years, maybe up to 15. The roof looked in good shape so even if the garage roofed leaked i cant figure out how it got so moldy inside. I was thinking the same thing about it being worth it if it was a good deal. I figured I'd be using bleach and ripping everything out as soon as I got it. Thanks for the info!
2011 IOM 1LT RS. K&N Typhoon CAI; Sequential taillights, SLP faded gill overlays, VMAX CNC ported TB, RX Ported IM, RX breather, 3/8" Black Ice-olator, OEM STB, 4 gauge pack, Alpine amp and sub, convertible spoiler, IOM painted rear diffuser, SS front and rear sways, SS front and rear struts and springs, Street Scene front splitter, IOM hideaway headlight covers, 5% window tint.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Year One is drooling as we speak! lol!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
motley1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Year One is drooling as we speak! lol!
That's what I'm afraid of. Last time I restored a car I went crazy and ran up a hefty credit card balance. Now I'd try to be more patient and do as much as I can myself instead of just replacing everything.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
If you have moisture, you have rust.
I would guess the floor pans are gone.
Poke around on the floor if you plan on buying it.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
motley1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I never thought about the rust. They have a 69 corvair that might be in better condition with less issues than this one so maybe ill look at that one more closely.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
70 Monte is my Favorite Monte..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I have found out its a lot cheaper to buy one already restored. You will never get your money back out of it if you do a complete restoration unless you can do everything yourself and have plenty of time.
With the mold you mention and dampness of the seat I bet there is a lot of hidden damage.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post

QFT

Buying a complete car- restored or not- that is sound is a much, much, much better than dealing with a swampy car
Old 06-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCamaro View Post
If it was ME, and the car was worth it, completely new upholstery would be in order. I imagine that you could find everything from carpet, seat covers, headliner and door cards. While everything's out scrub the entire interior with bleach. Complete HVAC disassembly as well. I don't f*ck around with mold that stuff can kill you.
+100
Old 06-02-2013, 03:58 AM   #14
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by motley1987 View Post
I never thought about the rust. They have a 69 corvair that might be in better condition with less issues than this one so maybe ill look at that one more closely.
I love Corvairs! 1969 was the rarest year with only 6,000 made.