Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #1149
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Aren't we already discussing this in about 5 other threads?

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #1150
07fx2

Drives: 2007 F150
Sorry but the gt500 has the zl1 beat. But the zl1 is still a dam fine car.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #1151
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
If I see you at Speedworld I will sabotage your car
Old 05-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #1152
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead08 View Post
Its more than just ford paying shelby for his name, he did help a little bit in the development, but yes was built on the ford line with all other mustangs.
That's why I said for the most part. He was more there to put a little validity to putting his name on the car. He didn't have that much to do with it in the end.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #1153
chevy454

Drives: '69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBS View Post
To those saying shelby had nothing to do with the development of this car here ya go. You people don't know what your talking about as usual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WmmZMxY1rXY

And to those saying a zo6 traps at above 125 here ya go

M/Ts test of a 2011 zo6/z07 shows it slower than its test of the shelby. Obviously though there are many z06s that have gone faster than 11.8 but we don't know yet what the shelby is really capable of until people with lots of seat time drive them.

Lets face it, this car is in z06/z07 territory now. The only cheap competitors of this car is the zr1 and GTR.

Though I really like the zr1
Evan Smith was there flogging them, I wonder if they used the et/mph from his runs? The video I saw from someone at SGMP Friday during the testing showed the magazine people running 11.8s, and iirc Evan said he had run 11.7s up to that point after a cool down period. That dude can flat DRIVE. He did the 12.8x LS1 test @ Etown for MM&FF many many moons ago. Regardless, that is hauling the mail, and ZL1 owners are in trouble...

In regards to the DA of 2000'...that's not terrible, especially considering the humidity in that region...it always seems to jack with my setup when I've raced in Georgia. Anyway, that DA is probably considered "average air" for that track this time of year...not bad, but not great. When I'm running in air <1000' is when I start getting giggly, lol.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #1154
grimmace

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
I think it's gonna be close on the road course. You won't have to deal with the lack of traction of either car or the torque managment. Furthermore, the ZL1, while weighing more, still has a much larger contact patch and perfect weight distribution. I wouldn't discount it just yet. If you bought a ZL1 for street encounters, you bought the wrong car. Both cars are amazing and both are exceeding my expectations on every level. I'm so happy with my GT right now, I can't even imagine what I would be feeling if I had a ZL1 or a GT500.

Come on man. 2013s are about to roll out, there won't be any changes. Why would you compare a brand new performance car to a 3 year old one? The new breeds came out 2 months apart. That argument is weak.

huh? When the ZL1 was being developed the current GT 500 was the car they pegged against at that time. In my mind they succeeded in making a better car. Now Ford knew the ZL1 was coming out well over a year ago and made sure the new one would be better....nothing at all weak about my comment....pretty much common sense. Again I think its great for everyone its happening.
grimmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #1155
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Now before you go closing this thread, I own ZL1 (#52) and am very happy with the performance given the price. I will not be selling my ZL1, and will drive it proudly and am still excited every time I step in the driver’s seat. But with the recent release of the GT500 performance, I must say, the ZL1 has been bitch slapped right across the face. I expected the new GT500 to beat it in the quarter; however, I did not expect mags to be getting an 11.5 quarter with over 125 MPH traps. Furthermore, the GT500 seems to have outperformed the ZL1 in EVERY category which is something I definitely did not expect. Braking, skip pad, weight, gas milage, even the LC feature seems to one up the ZL1. Yes I realize the fully optioned/tested GT500 is $64k vs. the comparable equipped ZL1 at $55k, but damn, I wish we still had something to hold onto to. I wish GM would offer a factory performance upgrade that still keeps warranty intact. Maybe a pulley swap and tune at the least? While I still agree the GT500 is nowhere near as stylish as the ZL1 (still subjective, although sales pretty much show the general public prefers the looks of the Camaro over the Mustang), it is NOT on the same level in terms of performance. Given that I own a ZL1 I wish it was, but the truth is, it’s not.
Mods – Before you close this post, realize this is coming from a ZL1 owner who cannot stand the looks of a Mustang, but can certainly respect what the have done in terms of answering GM’s ZL1.
you earned my .
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #1156
G8GT4now

Drives: 14 SS Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Aren't we already discussing this in about 5 other threads?
G8GT4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #1157
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670

Don't think anyone here is butt hurt, the ZL1 is still a better track car for turning left and right. Plus the fact that Ford doesn't have anything else to brag about. Chevy still has their flagship car on top ...
Old 05-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #1158
Paco
Banned

Drives: Chevrolet's, Ford's and one Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
There's nothing to say, facts are facts. The GT500 is the better performing vehicle. Ford has won this round, let's hope the 6th gen can reclaim victory.

Your right. I just would like to here his thoughts on it. After all, Al.O and FBfather talked up the ZL1 as the second coming not to mention that letter that was sent out soon after the 13' 500's numbers were released. As it stand's, the ZL1 is getting dominated. Looks and feel is subjective

I am not being disrespectful. I just would honestly like to hear there thoughts on it

Last edited by Paco; 05-21-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #1159
Paco
Banned

Drives: Chevrolet's, Ford's and one Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmace View Post
huh? When the ZL1 was being developed the current GT 500 was the car they pegged against at that time. In my mind they succeeded in making a better car. Now Ford knew the ZL1 was coming out well over a year ago and made sure the new one would be better....nothing at all weak about my comment....pretty much common sense. Again I think its great for everyone its happening.
Actually Ford made the GT500 what it is today because it was to close (performance wise) to the Boss. The ZL1 was a bonus
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #1160
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
The Ford bodies go to the Shelby American plant in Las Vegas where they remove and replace lots of suspension stuff and modify and test the engines, tune them to the n'th degree.....the employees doing it are Shelby American employees....the cars are titled as Shelbys....so it's a little more than just using the name!!

I still prefer the ZL-1 though.
I said the bodies went to Shelby American, I know they are originally assembled at Ford. My point was, the Shelby is quite a bit more than just 'badge engineering' using the Shelby name. The legend had total input.

That's all.....didn't expect to start a pissing match here....
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #1161
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Quote:
Exactly, which makes this conversation a non-starter at this point. Why talk about 'ring times when there are no published Shelby 'ring times to use for comparison?

Tell me, are you a professional race car driver? Do you spend a lot of time driving on the 'ring? Otherwise, I don't much see the relevance here. 'ring times are cutesy marketing fodder and that's about the extent of it. Personally, I think it's rather absurd to purchase a car based solely on its 'ring time, but to each their own.

To me, that sounds foolish, to put it politely.
Would you agree it's equally foolish to buy a car based on ET's? But that is mostly what is referenced when people say "we're the king", "your car ain't s__t", etc in this thread and most others. Last time I checked, the road from my house to work/shopping/you-name-it wasn't a straight line. There are left turns, right turns, etc. I want to know how a car handles, brakes, it's behavior when pushed to the limits, etc. The 'ring isn't the only answer to that.....but it's a partial answer. My point is there is not a single number that makes any car a "winner" if that isn't how the car is going to be driven, at least partially.

For the record, I have a highly modded SS set up for road racing, have raced two 2010 SS's built for Grand AM and World Challenge by Riley Technologies and currently own (partly) a Boss302R running in World Challenge.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #1162
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmace View Post
The GT500 has been out since the 2007 GT500 model in 2006. GM had all that time to develop a car to beat it soundly and it failed. Wake up.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote