Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 07-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Angry Ticket!!

So I was helping a friend move from his a apartment, as we are going back in forth putting stuff in the uhaul I see a parking enforcement car, mind you the uhaul is park on the sidewalk, so I watch as she just passes by and think nothing of it. 10 minutes someone who was outside by the sidewalk comes running in to the building to say hurry they are giving you guys a ticket. So we immediately assume the uhaul. I get out there and my car which is behind the uhaul parked legally, has a paper on the window, as I get closer it is a ticket, not for parking but out of all the things, one for no front license plate. So for no apparent reason she felt she had to give me a ticket, I tried to flag her down before she pulled off, but she just sped away. I had only just recently added the zl1 fascia, so of course I don't and will not have a front license plate.

Does anyone know a way to solve this problem, without have to get a front license plate?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Mr. Unassailable

Drives: 2010 2SS MT, 2010 SHO, 2004 S60R
pay the fine? Its law in texas also. The tickets are cheap and are not moving violations. I have not gotten one in several years, I think it was like $80 the last time I did. even at $100/ year, its better than drilling my bumper.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Thats the risk you take everyday if you do not have a front plate.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Bluffen

Drives: 2013 Sea Ray 220 Sundeck
It may be state law in california but a federal law allows cars not to have front plates. many exotic cars are driven without one and you can take a picture of your bumper and show there is no plate frame. Since it was Parking enforcement and not a cop write a letter to dispute it go online to find the federal law and attach it.
Bluffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
H3LLH0uNd84
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: A6 Ruby
One thing I've seen is that sum guys would zip tie the plates to the front. And they get signed off.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Bluffen

Drives: 2013 Sea Ray 220 Sundeck
If you travel widely by car in the United States, expect to encounter a variety of license-plate laws from state to state. The U.S. government only issues license plates for its federal vehicles and for foreign diplomats, and these vehicles are only required to have a rear plate.
All other drivers are issued vehicle plates by their state governments.
Some states require that cars have both a front and rear license plate and some require only a rear license plates

Read more: U.S. Laws on Front License Plates | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5250734_u_...#ixzz1zaabIg00

In Nevada, front plates are optional if the vehicle was not designed for a front plate and the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate.[7]

In the United States, 19 states – Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia – do not require an official front license plate, nor do the U.S. Virgin Islands or the territory of Puerto Rico

Last edited by Bluffen; 07-03-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Bluffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffen View Post
It may be state law in california but a federal law allows cars not to have front plates. many exotic cars are driven without one and you can take a picture of your bumper and show there is no plate frame. Since it was Parking enforcement and not a cop write a letter to dispute it go online to find the federal law and attach it.
Please provide the sources used to derive this information. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffen View Post
In Nevada, front plates are optional if the vehicle was not designed for a front plate and the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate.
You're contradicting yourself there, Internet Lawyer.

First you say there's a federal law that says you don't have to have a front plate (show where that would have jurisdiction please, because in this case I can only find it does NOT apply), but then you talk about state laws and drag up states where this doesn't even apply.

States reserve the rights to administer and regulate their own transportation registrations within state boundaries. However, GM supplies a front plate holder (I believe it's RPO VK3, but not sure- and may even charge for it now, not sure) for vehicles destined for states that require front plates. Whether you allow them to mount it is up to you. So for the Camaro, the Nevada exemption does not apply because 1) This apparently was in California, and 2) GM supplies front mounting provisions for Camaros. And in California, it appears GM can't send the car to the state, and the dealership can't even deliver your Camaro without the front bracket (without an exemption from the buyer).

To wit (California law):

Quote:
11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:
(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.
(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:
(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.
(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.
(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.

Added Sec. 1, Ch. 365, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.
And here's how they want you to place it:

Quote:
5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows:(a) The rear license plate on a tow truck or repossessor’s tow vehicle may be mounted on the left-hand side of the mast assembly at the rear of the cab of the vehicle, not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.
(b) The rear license plate on a tank vehicle hauling hazardous waste, as defined in Section 25117 of the Health and Safety Code, or asphalt material may be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.
(c) The rear license plate on a truck tractor may be mounted at the rear of the cab of the vehicle, but not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.
(d) The rear license plate of a vehicle designed by the manufacturer for the collection and transportation of garbage, rubbish, or refuse that is used regularly for the collection and transportation of that material by a person or governmental entity employed to collect, transport, and dispose of garbage, rubbish, or refuse may be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.
(e) The rear license plate on a two-axle livestock trailer may be mounted 12 inches or more, but not more than 90 inches, from the ground.
(f) A covering shall not be used on license plates except as follows:
(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. A peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.
(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or impair the recognition of the license plate information, including, but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number.
(g) A casing, shield, frame, border, product, or other device that obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by an electronic device operated by state or local law enforcement, an electronic device operated in connection with a toll road, high-occupancy toll lane, toll bridge, or other toll facility, or a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and 44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall not be installed on, or affixed to, a vehicle.
(h) (1) It is the intent of the Legislature that an accommodation be made to persons with disabilities and to those persons who regularly transport persons with disabilities, to allow the removal and relocation of wheelchair lifts and wheelchair carriers without the necessity of removing and reattaching the vehicle's rear license plate. Therefore, it is not a violation of this section if the reading or recognition of a rear license plate is obstructed or impaired by a wheelchair lift or wheelchair carrier and all of the following requirements are met:
(A) The owner of the vehicle has been issued a special identification license plate pursuant to Section 5007, or the person using the wheelchair that is carried on the vehicle has been issued a distinguishing placard under Section 22511.55.
(B) (i) The operator of the vehicle displays a decal, designed and issued by the department, that contains the license plate number assigned to the vehicle transporting the wheelchair.
In essence- if you're going to be an Internet Lawyer, at LEAST do some fact checking first.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
register your car in FL...
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
The state should do away with front plates. Think of the metal that can be saved if Cali no longer issued front metal plates. Of all the tree hugger BS this state is about I'm surprised we still get metal plates.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Yea I'll probably just zip tie it for the inspection, it's crazy though I thought my tint would be the first thing that they would attack
Old 07-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
Run4two

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Transformer Edition
What city did this occur in?
Run4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno LS3 View Post
The state should do away with front plates. Think of the metal that can be saved if Cali no longer issued front metal plates. Of all the tree hugger BS this state is about I'm surprised we still get metal plates.
Decided not to "risk" it or worry about it...Put mine on using stock plastic frame...Not in stock position, just lower, used toggle screws...no holes...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacc Mamba View Post
"So for no apparent reason she felt she had to give me a ticket"

" I had only just recently added the zl1 fascia, so of course I don't and will not have a front license plate."

Does anyone know a way to solve this problem, without have to get a front license plate?
I’m confused, one minute you state she gave you a ticket for no apparent reason, then belligerently state that even though the law says you have to have a front plate, you WILL NOT have one.

So you answered your own question and it wasn’t for no apparent reason, the reason was very apparent. And you have two options to "solve" this problem, pay the fine everytime your ticketed or get a front plate....

If you knowingly break the law and refuse to follow it even after you are ticketed, you have absolutely no grounds to complain about getting tickets for it....

I find this thread meaningless............
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote