Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I think the GT500 is the better current Muscle Car. Due to its less refined more brutish character as has been described. The ZL1 is the more progressive Sports GT car (think AMG or M products). The future of a "new age" of Muscle car will start with the ZL1. You'll soon see the Mustang move in that direction, and the Camaro wil continue to move towards a more refined "New" Muscle Car era.
This........... As far as Muscle cars go the Shelby won this round..... enough talk about it already its making me depressed :(
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
Bola1103

Drives: 2001 camaro ss
I like the zl1 a lot but I can't give the crown to the slower car.
Bola1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bola1103 View Post
I like the zl1 a lot but I can't give the crown to the slower car.
This is what mods are there for..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #18
Bola1103

Drives: 2001 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
This is what mods are there for..
You can make any car fast if you mod it the whole motortrend test is about the way it comes off the show room floor.it's like a 4.6 mustang gt with 315hp racing a 420hp camaro the camaro beats the gt but they say mustang is king of the muscle cars we know that's not right the faster car is always king these are muscle right let's hope the next zl1 will have less mass and more power
Bola1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #19
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
A Muscle Car is not always the fastest, however it is the angriest and least tamed. It does not apologize for anything. It's crude and in your face and you'd better have hair on your chest if your gonna give it a try.

Now on the flip side the era of the Muscle Car as we've known it will be dead after the last of this gens GT500 are built. The "New" Muscle Car will include AMG's, M's, ZL1's, next Gen GT500's, etc. They'll be good at all things and be much more controllable than the dying Muscle Car. The future is here, Long Live the Muscle Car!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Success is Fleeting...

There are many muscle cars from the ERA gone by. At any given time, all the brands carried the title. 427 Cobra AC; 67 Vette with Tripower 427; 1969 396/375HP Chevelle/Camaro; 1970 Chevelle 454/450; 1970 426 Hemi Cuda, Hemi Roadrunner, Hemi anything; 1967 Z/28, 1968-69 Z/28; It just keeps going. Mod any of these and ANY ONE had the potential to be the brute.

Right now, sure the GT500 is the HP winner. The drag race winner production-wise. The ZL1 is the track king production wise (just comparing these two.... The Vettes are definitely the true Kings on most fronts -- but are in another $$ Cost Realm)....Mod each and you have a whole new story. In modded form, either could walk away from the other. They are so close, it's really a "jump ball" in my opinion just like in the old days.

Own either and you are a fortunate person. On any given day, either one could outrun the other.

How about we just stop the BS, declare it a JUMP BALL? Then whoever gets the jump, the tip, will be a winner on a particular day.

As far as "overall titles" GO .... overall capability - drag/roadcourse/dailydriver one surely does have more PIZZAZ! I think the mags got it right.

Last edited by htron50; 08-26-2012 at 09:06 PM.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
Sweet Zness
Because I Can

Drives: 08 IOM G8GT 11 Victory Red SS
Quote:
I think the GT500 is the better current Muscle Car. Due to its less refined more brutish character as has been described. The ZL1 is the more progressive Sports GT car (think AMG or M products). The future of a "new age" of Muscle car will start with the ZL1. You'll soon see the Mustang move in that direction, and the Camaro wil continue to move towards a more refined "New" Muscle Car era.
Isn't what your describing the exact opposite of a muscle car? Isn't that direction more of the V line or even a Vette area?
Sweet Zness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #22
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

You could include the V but the Vette is a sports car/supercar.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #23
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bola1103 View Post
You can make any car fast if you mod it the whole motortrend test is about the way it comes off the show room floor.it's like a 4.6 mustang gt with 315hp racing a 420hp camaro the camaro beats the gt but they say mustang is king of the muscle cars we know that's not right the faster car is always king these are muscle right let's hope the next zl1 will have less mass and more power
You are def right, the ZL1 is not the fastest muscle car on the block. As I've said before, Chevy should have used the ZR1 engine for the ZL1 and beefed that engine up more with more horsepower for the next model years ZR1 instead of starting with the Caddy engine... Chevy engineers were competing against the 2012 Shelby, not the 2013 Shelby. While not the fastest, the ZL1 still a great example of a muscle car, no denying that..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #24
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zness View Post
Isn't what your describing the exact opposite of a muscle car? Isn't that direction more of the V line or even a Vette area?
He's got these thoughts nailed.

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance
I think the GT500 is the better current Muscle Car. Due to its less refined more brutish character as has been described. The ZL1 is the more progressive Sports GT car (think AMG or M products). The future of a "new age" of Muscle car will start with the ZL1.

Has started, methinks . . .

Only this part is somewhat less than appealing

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance
You'll soon see the Mustang move in that direction, and the Camaro wil continue to move towards a more refined "New" Muscle Car era.

I really hope that with greater refinement that they don't breed all of the experience out in the process, but I'm afraid that it might. Knock the roughest edges off, fine, we already know what they are. But don't polish them up so much that they become luxury car wanna-be's trading on the heritages of their names.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #25
BIGBLKZL1

Drives: '12 ZL1/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORKED View Post
How dare you bring up news from two whole months ago. You should be ashamed of yourself. You should know every single detail about Camaro news and events.

(Just being sarcastic, but this is why I rarely post new threads on the forum.)
...new posts are like feeding chum to sharks! Best thing is to post and then unsubscribe. Keeps the inbox cleaner.
BIGBLKZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #26
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
There are many muscle cars from the ERA gone by. At any given time, all the brands carried the title. 427 Cobra AC; 67 Vette with Tripower 427; 1969 396/375HP Chevelle/Camaro; 1970 Chevelle 454/450; 1970 426 Hemi Cuda, Hemi Roadrunner, Hemi anything; 1967 Z/28, 1968-69 Z/28; It just keeps going. Mod any of these and ANY ONE had the potential to be the brute.

Right now, sure the GT500 is the HP winner. The drag race winner production-wise. The ZL1 is the track king production wise (just comparing these two.... The Vettes are definitely the true Kings on most fronts -- but are in another $$ Cost Realm)....Mod each and you have a whole new story. In modded form, either could walk away from the other. They are so close, it's really a "jump ball" in my opinion just like in the old days.

Own either and you are a fortunate person. On any given day, either one could outrun the other.

How about we just stop the BS, declare it a JUMP BALL? Then whoever gets the jump, the tip, will be a winner on a particular day.

As far as "overall titles" GO .... overall capability - drag/roadcourse/dailydriver one surely does have more PIZZAZ! I think the mags got it right.
Trust me I prefer the more refined chassis and suspension of the ZL1. Adding power is MUCH easier than putting together a wonderful chassis/suspension combination.

Oh and Ford knows that, just wait till the next Mustang proves it.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #27
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Too true. Which is why my Boss is a keeper; end of an era. The new cars as shown the way by the ZL1 will be more in line with the dynamics found in Bimmers, Mercs and Audi I came from. Both exciting and sad depending on my perspective mood at the time.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #28
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-worl...g-race-2-.html
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote