Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
IdealG Clutch Master Cylinder Install

What a mess. Entirely my own fault.

Removed the old master cylinder from the clutch pedal. Everything nice and neat......so far. Plug everything back in and get ready to bleed when I see fluid dripping out of the metal hose that goes from the slave cylinder to the firewall port of the clutch master. WTF!

Found out, the seal was still stuck up in the old master cylinder. Dug that out, put it on the end of the line.....and ooops!!....slips out of my hand falling down the big hole in the frame, right under the brake fluid reservoir.

Then the cap to the brake reservoir falls and goes down the same hole.

At this point I am now laughing.

Ready to order a new line to get a stupid little seal and a new cap because it now is sitting down in the frame of my car somewhere.

However! I decided to see what would happen if I took the wheel off, then the inner fender well. Pop that off, and the cap....seal and another nylon bushing (where that came from I don't know) fell out onto the ground!

Back in business!

Hook the vacuum pump up to the slave cylinder bleeder, start pumping the clutch. Check fluid level, add just a little fluid. Eventually the clutch feels normal and the way it did before starting the whole process.
Close the bleeder.
Turn off the vacuum.
Double check all connections and go for a ride.

So far so good. Can't tell much of a difference. I have a ZR1 clutch, now have the IdealG Master Clutch cylinder. I *think* if feels smoother at higher RPMS.

Will have to do some more driving.

Anything was better then the stock clutch.

**So the moral to this story is, tape over those freaking holes under where all the brake fluid is, will save a lot of time and hassle.**
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Quote:
Originally Posted by james347 View Post
What a mess. Entirely my own fault.

Removed the old master cylinder from the clutch pedal. Everything nice and neat......so far. Plug everything back in and get ready to bleed when I see fluid dripping out of the metal hose that goes from the slave cylinder to the firewall port of the clutch master. WTF!

Found out, the seal was still stuck up in the old master cylinder. Dug that out, put it on the end of the line.....and ooops!!....slips out of my hand falling down the big hole in the frame, right under the brake fluid reservoir.

Then the cap to the brake reservoir falls and goes down the same hole.

At this point I am now laughing.

Ready to order a new line to get a stupid little seal and a new cap because it now is sitting down in the frame of my car somewhere.

However! I decided to see what would happen if I took the wheel off, then the inner fender well. Pop that off, and the cap....seal and another nylon bushing (where that came from I don't know) fell out onto the ground!

Back in business!

Hook the vacuum pump up to the slave cylinder bleeder, start pumping the clutch. Check fluid level, add just a little fluid. Eventually the clutch feels normal and the way it did before starting the whole process.
Close the bleeder.
Turn off the vacuum.
Double check all connections and go for a ride.

So far so good. Can't tell much of a difference. I have a ZR1 clutch, now have the IdealG Master Clutch cylinder. I *think* if feels smoother at higher RPMS.

Will have to do some more driving.

Anything was better then the stock clutch.

**So the moral to this story is, tape over those freaking holes under where all the brake fluid is, will save a lot of time and hassle.**

LOL, well at least you found it and didn't have to buy a new line. good luck hope it works out for you.