Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #43
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruuzin LV View Post
You could get a K&N intake for $235 and the scoop kit for 150 and come pretty darn close to the VR intake price.....
Umm but not the same performance.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #44
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Umm but not the same performance.
Obviously since its not the same setup, you wont get the "same" performance. The same can be said with any crossing of brands. If you are stating that the VR intake is superior to a CAI with a "ram air scoop" I rather not get into that debate. I was simply pointing out the cost of a VR intake vs the cost of a CAI intake with ram air scoop.
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #45
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Sorry I misunderstood you. Cruzzin
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #46
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruuzin LV View Post
It would appear that a cold air intake with the JRE Race Scoop would give you the best of both worlds.... Ram air and CAI with a MAF located in the "stock" position compaired to the Vararam for similar price.

Your thoughts?
The numbers in Jannetty's test show that the Halltech out performs the C.A.I. The Halltech wasn't tested with the scoop, but if it was it would beat C.A.I. a bit.

C.A.I., Halltech, Vararam; They all work fine.

Going with C.A.I. for me would be like following the herd. Not my style, but it sure is a good product. Well built and performs. I don't like it's looks but the majority here sure seem to like it.

Halltech out performs C.A.I. according to Jannetty's test but it didn't catch on like C.A.I. did here. I think this is also a great intake.

Vararam wasn't in the test, but has many faithful followers. It looks more like a full on road race car's intake. Not really pretty like a C.A.I., but I can appreciate function before form. I have the Vararam and I like it a lot. But I'm not going to recommend it just because I own it. The others are good choices too.

If you are not buying an intake right now, then I'd suggest thinking about waiting for the Jac-Fab intake to come out. It is a new design and it would appear to be staged to be the new top dog.

Ain't it great that we have many good choices ???
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #47
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
The numbers in Jannetty's test show that the Halltech out performs the C.A.I. The Halltech wasn't tested with the scoop, but if it was it would beat C.A.I. a bit.

C.A.I., Halltech, Vararam; They all work fine.

Going with C.A.I. for me would be like following the herd. Not my style, but it sure is a good product. Well built and performs. I don't like it's looks but the majority here sure seem to like it.

Halltech out performs C.A.I. according to Jannetty's test but it didn't catch on like C.A.I. did here. I think this is also a great intake.

Vararam wasn't in the test, but has many faithful followers. It looks more like a full on road race car's intake. Not really pretty like a C.A.I., but I can appreciate function before form. I have the Vararam and I like it a lot. But I'm not going to recommend it just because I own it. The others are good choices too.

If you are not buying an intake right now, then I'd suggest thinking about waiting for the Jac-Fab intake to come out. It is a new design and it would appear to be staged to be the new top dog.

Ain't it great that we have many good choices ???

Yes the Camaro aftermarket just gets better and better and will continue to be the reason for threads like these. I actually like the look of the Vararam over a CAI but people "appear" to have less issues with the CAI.

What style intake is the Jac-Fab?
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #48
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
I've been reading this all thread all day. It doesn't strike me as a VR vs CAI, it's a VR or CAI, that's just me though.
I have a VR and one of the main reasons was because it doesn't look like every other intake out there, that's my opinion.
I have no doubt all of them are good products, and as Cruuzin LV said, the new Jac-Fab looks very interesting.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #49
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

JacFab has the air box in the stock location. It uses a flat air filter panel instead of a cone filter for straight non-turbulent air flow. It is heat shielded with thick silicone sheet on the air box and the 4" tube is all silicone.

JacFab Thread:
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219913
My previous Camaros:
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #50
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEKFREEKSCOTTY View Post
You previously mentioned, "No brand on the box or on eBay" for your Camaro's CAI.

So, technically, you don't even know what you have.

Doesn't matter. Well made and gets the same results at 1/3 the price. Works for me. A CAI is not a high tech marvel built by NASA. Pretty simple device, actually, for most uses.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #51
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
You have no leg to stand on. ZL1 is only the top of the line starting THIS YEAR. What year is your bottom of the line V6? Oh, it doesn't matter since it was ALWAYS the bottom of the line. I haven't seen a Fujita CAI for the Camaro so I can't comment on it, unless you're still spouting your Solstice SUPER CAR comparison.

First of all, Ram air in the sense that it's ramming air into your engine is a myth. I didn't bring the scoop into the mix because it's an extra cost and, theoretically, should increase the HP of any OEM location CAI that has the bottom open. I've never been a fan of VR in general, for various reasons, but they have their fanboys. I'm sure it's a good unit. If you want the absolutely most from a OEM location CAI, the scoop is a must. All of them are the roughly the same so it's not like one scoop performs better than the other.
Hate to bust your bubble, but an SS is no supercar. And the fact is, all you obnoxious SS freaks are sucking hind you know what. You are now second fiddle. Those of us who bought a V6 since we don't race, but can still out run a 426 Hemi, can laugh our butts off at you, and what you spent, not to mention your unfounded arrogance.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #52
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
Doesn't matter. Well made and gets the same results at 1/3 the price. Works for me. A CAI is not a high tech marvel built by NASA. Pretty simple device, actually, for most uses.
You sir are clueless, cheap and old!

No a CAI is not a CAI.
NO it's not a simple device.

FAIL!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #53
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Quote:
Hate to bust your bubble, but an SS is no supercar. And the fact is, all you obnoxious SS freaks are sucking hind you know what. You are now second fiddle. Those of us who bought a V6 since we don't race, but can still out run a 426 Hemi, can laugh our butts off at you, and what you spent, not to mention your unfounded arrogance.
Now that's just pure entertainment there - LOL !!! Love your posts... Keep 'em coming.
My previous Camaros:
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #54
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
you're not for serious.......
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #55
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by babytiger View Post
you're not for serious.......
Well, little one, I had a 426 Hemi in 66, and the V6 is faster, 0-60. Shows how little you newbies know.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #56
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Quote:
Ok now you are also a crack head! After this statement.
Bonanza.....

Tags
intake