Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #29
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
I wont worry about the stock timing chain, you have a warranty anyways. even people like me who are modded, don't even change the chain. (some of us) its rare to see one break.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #30
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSS_ View Post
i wouldn't wait to get a v6....you'll want a v8 a week later. i'm even younger than you and my car has gotten me into trouble already....*see for-sale ad* but if you really ARE buying a camaro, don't get a v6...just go all out now and BE CAREFUL HOW YOU DRIVE!!!!
that really all depends on the person about getting into trouble, i was 18 when i put a cam into my 5th gen, a 500HP+ camaro. ZERO tickets. now 21 prefect record

and now my dad is getting a 2013 911 turbo this spring that i will be driving also. i earned the trust to drive it.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #31
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspolo View Post
I would need to be around 250-350 at the most, but thanks! those numbers give me a pretty good idea of what to expect
You won't be getting that on a SS. With your lack of credit history and small down payment $400-$450 would be more realistic. Also keep in mind a used SS with decent miles go for about $30k+ plus fees, not under $28k.

EDIT: after messing around with a loan calculator, to get the payment for a 5 year loan within your comfort zone you will need to increase your down payment to $15k if you buy an SS.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #32
10BlkSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Dont start with a V6, if you are going to buy a camaro get an SS. Im 30 and when I was 18 I was determined to own a Trans Am WS6 but it never materialized because of insurance costs, not really the cost of the car. If you can swing the insurance, get a decent finance rate (Im @ 3.25%, so if its under 5% that should be reasonable for you with a cosigner), and if you can swing the gas on a car that gets 18MPG...do it. But if you'll be car poor it probably wont be worth it. Whats the point of having a sweet ride to pull up to the resteraunt in but cant afford the tab?

This car is best enjoyed as a TOY...not a daily driver, so gas shouldnt be a concern neither should the payment.

My 2010 SS was purchased in April 2012 for $30,000, with 1,100 miles. Monthly cost comes out to about $460/mo 5yrs + roughly $200/mo in gas per month when driven regulary to and from work (12mi one way) + $80 insurnace (but im 30), so figure I pay $740 a month all total and with your age and higher rate you'll need about $1,000/mo. to afford it.

Maxima SE (Traded)
Camaro SS
Hummer H3
10BlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #33
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
You are putting way to much thought into it. IMO and many others, there isn't much to fall in love with the stock V8 exhaust sound...its kinda weak. Secondly, you say you never go over the speed limit or accelerate hard, but then you are asking if you can "Accelerate from a dead stop with flowing traffic to match their speed"??? You are contradicting yourself. Whether you get a V6 or a V8 I can ensure you will catch up to flowing traffic even if you are at a dead stop. There are many V6 owners that are stating they are not getting good gas mileage. Actually it seems like my V8 A6 is getting just as good of gas mileage as theres. Of course, I didn't buy this car thinking about trying to save money on fuel. I bought it because I loved the body and power of the vehicle. As far as financing or insurance, you really just need to go talk to your bank or insurance agent to get them most accurate information.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #34
Mdipinto

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro silver black stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10BlkSS View Post
Dont start with a V6, if you are going to buy a camaro get an SS. Im 30 and when I was 18 I was determined to own a Trans Am WS6 but it never materialized because of insurance costs, not really the cost of the car. If you can swing the insurance, get a decent finance rate (Im @ 3.25%, so if its under 5% that should be reasonable for you with a cosigner), and if you can swing the gas on a car that gets 18MPG...do it. But if you'll be car poor it probably wont be worth it. Whats the point of having a sweet ride to pull up to the resteraunt in but cant afford the tab?

This car is best enjoyed as a TOY...not a daily driver, so gas shouldnt be a concern neither should the payment.

My 2010 SS was purchased in April 2012 for $30,000, with 1,100 miles. Monthly cost comes out to about $460/mo 5yrs + roughly $200/mo in gas per month when driven regulary to and from work (12mi one way) + $80 insurnace (but im 30), so figure I pay $740 a month all total and with your age and higher rate you'll need about $1,000/mo. to afford it.
This is very true. I do believe in sacrifices, I sacrifice going out a lot so I can have the Camaro, but at no time, if I want to go eat out, and I haven't yet splurged myself, I will go out and pay.

Definitely go for what you want, but don't put yourself in trouble for it. meaning if you really want to get a V8, get it, but don't go broke for it, as you can get a V6 that has just enough power, a really good suspension and good brakes.

Indeed if you put 12000 down, by then, and you find one around $28000(about 30000 miles), and you get interest around 6% you will be able to afford.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #35
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:

Question #1. I did some quick calculations where I compared the gas usage (100% city and 100% highway) of the Golf, V6 Camaro and the V8 Camaro.

<snip.>

Scenario. 4$/Gal. 780 miles.
Golf 21/28 = $148.57/$111.43
Camaro V6 17/28 = $183.53/$111.43
Camaro V8 16/24 = $195.00/$130.00

Scenario 2. 4$/Gal. 415 miles.
Golf 21/28 = $79.050/$59.29
Camaro V6 17/28 = $97.650/$59.29
Camaro V8 16/24 = $103.75/$69.17

Question #2. Now, as you guys know, I come from a car with 115HP so the SS with 426HP is a HUGE difference to me. So “with great power comes great responsibility” :p

These are some of the "craziest" things I did with the Golf, is it possible to do them with a Camaro without losing control?

1. Downshift and accelerate to pass a car.
2. At times, I could turn on curves at a slightly above average speed without losing grip or control.
3. Accelerate from a dead stop with flowing traffic to match their speed

What things should I be precautions of with that much HP and Torque and a RWD? Additionally, I do live in a place where it is usually raining.

Question #3. If I do get the SS it will probably end up being used, so more than likely it won’t come with any warranty. I have been looking at prices and I can afford a 2010/11. I have tried to review problems and I found the following:

1. Timing chain is weak and might need to be changed
2. Clutch has problems
3. Paint (sucks, but not concerned much)

<snip.>

Should I be worried about them?
Do the first models have any other issues I should be aware of?
Also, is there a VIN number I should steer away from?

Question #4. This is more of a financing question.
I don’t have any credit history, so the Camaro will be the start of it and I am also expecting a high interest rate. (my dad might cosign)
At the most, I am planning to get a car under $28,000 and be able to give a $10,000 down payment.
Is it smart to give the down payment all at once, or just a partial down payment and extra payments throughout the months?
Question #1. Gas mileage is not a function of the stated manufacturer specs. Do not start counting on the gas mileage you will get from stated numbers. Due to your driving habits, local traffic conditions, how many hills you need to climb, etc, this will be different from the manufacturer spec.

For example, I drive back roads to work each morning because the highway is jammed at 6 am here, and I take the highway back because the backroads have schools and school buses, which really screws up traffic. On the way to work, I get 23 mpg in my LS3. That's back roads, stop signs, lights, etc- but no traffic. On the way home, on the highway, I get 18 mpg; it's bumper to bumper. Yesterday I took a trip on the highway, about 160 miles round trip. 90% highway. I reset my MPG calculator before I left. I got 27 MPG- there was no real traffic for a change, I was able to cruise at ~1500 rpm, 65 mph, the whole way

Question #2. Read this carefully: The gas pedal is not an on/off switch.

Back in 1969, when you could get a 427 with 430 BHP in a Camaro that weighed MUCH less than a new Camaro, tires were not nearly as good, suspensions were primitive and there were no antilock brakes or stability control, the mere act of downshifting and passing another car did not make you crash. I don't mean to sound like I'm being mean, but if your three examples are worries for you, you need to drive a little bit better.

Everyone today that didn't grow up driving RWD cars through rain, snow, etc, has this very bizarre impression that RWD cars spin like a top and swap ends routinely, and that to be 'safe' you need FWD or AWD. It's complete bullshit.

The car makes a fair bit of torque. It doesn't make 'a lot', especially compared to it's weight. And frankly, throttle response at low rpms sucks royally. Unless you're a complete dolt behind the wheel, you're worried about nothing

Question #3. Warranty is transferable. You won;t have the full warranty a new car has, but you will go out and select a used car with warranty remaining, is all. In addition, I recommend checking local laws about implied warranty or 'lemon laws' on the sale of any vehicle. if the sale is through a dealership, some type of warranty should apply, somewhere on the vehicle. I don;t know WA law. If a private sale, beware of the term "as is"

Question #4. More up front is best. You are not just paying the remainder of your loan, remember your interest rate, etc. Do not talk to them about the payment "you can afford". That is a dirty trick in my opinion, that gets you to see the payments their way. Know what you can really, honestly afford, and don't tell them. Tell them- show me the numbers and we'll talk. Also, sometimes zero percent financing is best, sometimes taking a percentage rate may be best. Talk to them about both scenarios. Also, if you are making a trade in, it's good to not agree to the trade in until you see numbers you like, and then offer it

Most importantly- know what you're talking about on the car. Research it. Know it. That way when they start to BS you, you'll know

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 12-24-2012 at 08:11 AM.
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #36
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Wow, Thanks guys!! I didn't expect this much feedback!

So the car itself doesn't really have many problems nor would I have a problem with gas or the driving experience, it seems it will actually be better!

The problem seems like it will be financial.
So by the looks of it, many folks are telling me to get the V6 for now, and it does make sense, money might end up being a problem.
I estimate I can afford around $600-$700 a month for the car, but I will work a few months to make sure I can afford that easily and pass that probation many of you said.

Plus, as many said, a V6 has a lot more power then what I am used to, so it still should be fun! With a V6 I could hopefully save some more and afford a V8 gen 6 Camaro!

But thanks guys!! You were all REALLY helpful, this is by far, the best Camaro forum I've seen.

Please let us know if you get the car of your dreams. We are here to help in any way!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 12-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #37
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
You are putting way to much thought into it. IMO and many others, there isn't much to fall in love with the stock V8 exhaust sound...its kinda weak.
let me express a different, real world opinion about loud exhausts

I drove, for many years as a daily driver, a hot-rodded muscle car with a 7.5L engine, big tube headers with 3" collectors, a high lift cam, and a DOT approved 2.5" true dual exhaust

It sets off car alarms as you drive by, which is loads of fun

And it gives you an f'n HEADACHE when you drive it 100 miles. And the cops give me a hard time. And it annoys my neighbors when I take it to work. And it's hard to hear the radio clearly when you're going over 50 mph

I like the Camaro's stock exhaust sound just fine
Old 12-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #38
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
If you're worried about MPG, go with a V6, it'll still be INCREDIBLY fast going from something with 115 HP :P

EDIT:

Also, if this will be a DD, a V6 might suit you a little better. There are people here who only swear by V8, and 10-15 years ago, I'd have agreed too. My main reason in getting my 2LT/RS over a 2SS/RS was that I drive 80 miles round trip and probably put another 20-30 in town daily. I can comfortably afford my payments now, I will get an SS/Z28 (if they come out) one day, but for now, this makes me happy, and this is what I can comfortably afford.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #39
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Quote:
Hey everyone!

Well, as it says on my bio, I don’t have a car at the moment, but things seem to be getting a bit better! I will probably get a job by late January and should be able to afford a Camaro by May (since I have a little bit saved up from before) Before I created this account I was set on a Camaro LS, after spending many days here I now MUST have a SS!

Just a little about me so you guys know where I am at. I am 22, started driving at 18 and have around 20,000 miles of experience. I am not someone that drives fast; I have been told I drive like a grandma. I rarely go above the speed limit and I rarely accelerate hard when the light turns green. Aside from a different exhaust, I probably will leave it stock. Some might ask “why a V8?”, but I just fell in love with the sound .

My previous car was a manual FWD 2002 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 with a measly 115HP :(. I had it for a little over two years. So a SS will definitely be a BIG change for me, so I have a few questions and hope I can get some feedback!

Question #1. I did some quick calculations where I compared the gas usage (100% city and 100% highway) of the Golf, V6 Camaro and the V8 Camaro.

I took 780 miles, divided it by 16 miles/gallon and then multiplied it by $4 a gallon and got the answer. Did I do the math correct? If so, gas should be not be a problem for either scenario

Scenario. 4$/Gal. 780 miles.
Golf 21/28 = $148.57/$111.43
Camaro V6 17/28 = $183.53/$111.43
Camaro V8 16/24 = $195.00/$130.00

Scenario 2. 4$/Gal. 415 miles.
Golf 21/28 = $79.050/$59.29
Camaro V6 17/28 = $97.650/$59.29
Camaro V8 16/24 = $103.75/$69.17

Question #2. Now, as you guys know, I come from a car with 115HP so the SS with 426HP is a HUGE difference to me. So “with great power comes great responsibility” :p

These are some of the "craziest" things I did with the Golf, is it possible to do them with a Camaro without losing control?

1. Downshift and accelerate to pass a car.
2. At times, I could turn on curves at a slightly above average speed without losing grip or control.
3. Accelerate from a dead stop with flowing traffic to match their speed

What things should I be precautions of with that much HP and Torque and a RWD? Additionally, I do live in a place where it is usually raining.

Question #3. If I do get the SS it will probably end up being used, so more than likely it won’t come with any warranty. I have been looking at prices and I can afford a 2010/11. I have tried to review problems and I found the following:

1. Timing chain is weak and might need to be changed
2. Clutch has problems
3. Paint (sucks, but not concerned much)

As I said before, I won’t be racing, so I won’t be forcing the motor too much and will probably drive less than 6,000 miles a year. The problems that concerns me the most are the first two since they are expensive to fix (for me)
Should I be worried about them?
Do the first models have any other issues I should be aware of?
Also, is there a VIN number I should steer away from?

Question #4. This is more of a financing question.
I don’t have any credit history, so the Camaro will be the start of it and I am also expecting a high interest rate. (my dad might cosign)
At the most, I am planning to get a car under $28,000 and be able to give a $10,000 down payment.
Is it smart to give the down payment all at once, or just a partial down payment and extra payments throughout the months?

As far as I know, these are all the questions I have (for now at least :p) Thank you all who help me out! I know it’s a semi long read but I like to research a bit before I buy.

Whoa! That's a whole lotta words dude!

LS3 or bust.

[/thread]
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #40
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I mentioned in my post you needed to check into insurance. One more thing is you can go to your lender and find out what it will cost you a month for payments. You just need the amount you plan to borrow and any lender can tell you interest and payments for the length of the loan. Unless you find and exceptional deal on a V8, or V6 for that matter, you are going to find it hard to get a loan payment under $350. I just don't see you driving an SS with that low of a payment but I could be wrong. I researched the hell out the V8 and the V6 and just could not justify spending $10k more new or used. When I was looking for the last 1 and a half I was finding used SS with under 20k miles on them for $32k. The same LT was low $20k and the LS was under $20k. I ended up buying a brand new LT last Spring for around $25k and the same package in the SS was at least $36k. Buy what you can afford even if it is the V6. I don't regret buying mine and had drove the SS before this purchase. As much as I wanted one I stuck with the V6 and don't regret it at all. One day I am thinking I will buy an SS.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #41
erik13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10BlkSS View Post

No offense, but a lot of us can't afford "toys". I wanted a V8 badly, but had to compromise and get a 6.
erik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #42
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik13 View Post
No offense, but a lot of us can't afford "toys". I wanted a V8 badly, but had to compromise and get a 6.
Actually the way I look at it I bought my V6 as a DD and a toy.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote