Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
wyd_trkr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2LT/RS A8
Exclamation IPF Tune Feedback on my 2012 Camaro RS!

I was asked by "Tran" one of the Administrators of Camaro 5 to post feedback on any Vendor in this Vendor and Feedback Section, so here it is:

First of all I tried the IPF tune in my car with just a Cold Air Intake, and it slowed it down, plus the car lost at least 15 horsepower as the car was running to Rich. In addition to that my car suffered 5 mpg on the highway driving and 2-3 mpg in tow. Overall drivability suffered in overall performance.

I had the car dyno'ed and I was not to happy with the results, especially when I already knew in advance the car would not produce the numbers I was looking for! So after the dyno I returned to the friends home to have him remove the tune! immediately the car ran better with the stock tune in it, as well as my fuel mileage came back to where it was previously before installing the tune.

I also tried to call IPF and ask them about this tune, but unfortunately after numerous phone calls to their business phone and leaving messages on their voice mail, I also called and left messages for Jesse the Sales Manager and did not recieve any response back from either IPF, nor Jesse and now this has been a week and a half later and still no return phone calls!

The bottom line here is, if you are going to be in business, at least return your customers phone calls , as that is not good Public Relations not too!
My Link Navigation
Onstar & Bluetooth Built-In
K&N Panel Filter
Lumar/Pro WindowTint
Mailto: wyd_trkr@bellsouth.net

Last edited by wyd_trkr; 01-31-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Do you have dyno charts to show the "at least 15 rwhp" loss? I.E One right before the tune and then one right after the tune was loaded. What about data logs to show that the car was running rich?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I have but only one thing to say to all of this; TRIFECTA is a WINNA!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Interesting stuff. I have the Trifecta tune and would not change do to cost of the IPF tune. But was very interested in seeing some dyno numbers and drag times. There was alot of threads and hoopla, over this new tune. But to date I have not seen anything backing up all the claims. Dyno sheets and 1/4 mile times is all most of us are looking for. Produce those and let the facts tell the story.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
I would log it and have them try again...each car is a bit different so I expect the second try will show better results. If you can post dyno graphs that will show alot as well.

I think yours was an unusual result (even though were Trifecta and they dont care for us, I think they deserve another shot to be fair).

Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Post up the dyno charts.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Wyd, it sounds like something happened with your tune. When I got mine there were like 6 different files to choose from. I had to ask Jesse which one was the right tune for my car. Did you do that?

I have my headers but they are the short ones, cat-back, and my intake is very mild, so they had me choose the program without headers. In any case, you have a slightly different motor than me, but gains should be similar or better and if you detected a power loss that is definitely a sign something went wrong. I have had 0 issues with my tune and am very pleased with the performance gains (though I've yet to get to the track again.) I agree, after you hear back and can re-program (if necessary) get some track time or a dyno showing the results from baseline to after tuned.

Good luck! I hope Jesse or someone gets back to you soon. I'm surprised as they were pretty good at getting back to me back in Nov/Dec...and thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
SixCyl

Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
Wyd, it sounds like something happened with your tune. When I got mine there were like 6 different files to choose from. I had to ask Jesse which one was the right tune for my car. Did you do that?

I have my headers but they are the short ones, cat-back, and my intake is very mild, so they had me choose the program without headers. In any case, you have a slightly different motor than me, but gains should be similar or better and if you detected a power loss that is definitely a sign something went wrong. I have had 0 issues with my tune and am very pleased with the performance gains (though I've yet to get to the track again.) I agree, after you hear back and can re-program (if necessary) get some track time or a dyno showing the results from baseline to after tuned.

Good luck! I hope Jesse or someone gets back to you soon. I'm surprised as they were pretty good at getting back to me back in Nov/Dec...and thanks for the feedback!
Whoa, you have an LFX and saw a decrease in performance? I say you got a scrubbed file, you should see pretty significant gains once you get a fixed tune.
El gato. Mods: Eagle eye headlights, 18" Axis Sport graphite, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax ported TB, 3/8" Vmax Black-Ice, RX single valve catch can, RX breather, Pedders inserts, Trifecta tune, BBK LTH 304 SS.

art/ärt/Noun. Definition: 5th generation Camaro.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Experiences between vendors is always going to differ. Especially when it comes to "custom" tunes/products. To base a review off a tune that wasn't truly custom to your vehicle setup isn't fair to you or the rest of the community. I say not truly custom because it was never dialed in. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that commenting on customer service is wrong...especially when it involves your money. But since it sounds like you were running your friends tune on your car...what actually validates your feedback on vendor support when you aren't the paying customer. Why should a vendor write another tune, speaking in terms of time and money, for a non paying customer? But then again, im assuming this is NOT your tune, nor did you pay for it. Correct me if im wrong...

also...can you post the dyno chart your using as a comparison?

what mods did you have before/between/after...

what size wheels are you running with now? i noticed your sig shows REPLICA ZL1 wheels so not sure what width you are running. which if im not mistaken, are a BIT larger (285/35ZR20 & 305/35ZR20 vs 245/45ZR20 & 275/40ZR20) than the stock wheels of the 2LT/RS. so if you dyno'd originally with your stock wheels on and then threw these monsters on, i guarantee you WILL see a loss of HP, and 15 sounds about right, due to rotational mass.

Last edited by hapisok; 01-30-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
wyd_trkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
I have but only one thing to say to all of this; TRIFECTA is a WINNA!
My Link Navigation
K&N Panel Filter
Lumar/Pro WindowTint
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
wyd_trkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
Experiences between vendors is always going to differ. Especially when it comes to "custom" tunes/products. To base a review off a tune that wasn't truly custom to your vehicle setup isn't fair to you or the rest of the community. I say not truly custom because it was never dialed in. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that commenting on customer service is wrong...especially when it involves your money. But since it sounds like you were running your friends tune on your car...what actually validates your feedback on vendor support when you aren't the paying customer. Why should a vendor write another tune, speaking in terms of time and money, for a non paying customer? But then again, im assuming this is NOT your tune, nor did you pay for it. Correct me if im wrong...

also...can you post the dyno chart your using as a comparison?

what mods did you have before/between/after...

what size wheels are you running with now? i noticed your sig shows REPLICA ZL1 wheels so not sure what width you are running. which if im not mistaken, are a BIT larger (285/35ZR20 & 305/35ZR20 vs 245/45ZR20 & 275/40ZR20) than the stock wheels of the 2LT/RS. so if you dyno'd originally with your stock wheels on and then threw these monsters on, i guarantee you WILL see a loss of HP, and 15 sounds about right, due to rotational mass.
hapisok, Okay, lets start from the very beginning! First of all this tune was provided to me via IPF and Jesse who in turn forwarded the tune to a friend which also does business for IPF and this was suppose to be a Vin Number Prepped Tune for me car with just a Cold Air Intake, no other modifications were performed on the car. The wheels at that time were the factory 20 x 8's and 20 x 9' from the factory until Yesterday , when I changed them out for my new Staggered 20 x 8 and 20 x 9 ZL1 Replica Wheels.

Do Not get these confused with the ZL1 Camaro Factory Wheels, as they come with 20 x 10 on the fronts and 20 x 11 on the Rears! Now that we have that part addressed, let me explain what transpired for my car not to run right on the dyno , because of loss of power! Now, I myself have been a gearhead all my life and I am very familiar with Diablo & Superchips Tuning as I have been in the Sales and Installing tunes now for that past 15 years Professionally, so this Off The Shelf Tuning thing is not new to me!

On the spur of the moment my friend met with me at his home 2 1/2 weeks ago and I decided to try the IPF tune in my car and run it for a week with the use of Sunoco 93 Octane Fuel, before taking it down to get some dyno numbers! Now, from the time I got the tune installed, supposedely for my VIN number and My Cold Air Intake Mod, I noticed after the tune being in the car for a couple of days, it just did not have the strong pull that I was used to with my factory tune I was used too. In addition to that my fuel mileage started to suffer and yes, my tailpipes were starting to look a little sooty!

From there I got with my friend and told him that I was going to Dyno the car with the IPF tune in it, as the car Did Not have a Before Baseline Dyno, to compair the Before or After Dyno session! Okay so off to the dyno we go and the best the car would dyno was 265 rwhp and 241 ft. lb. Torque. We also ran two more Dyno pulls and they were worse than the first one.

Myself and the Dyno Owner compared the 3 Dyno runs and decided the car was running to rich, as my car, compared to another 2012 Camaro LFX Owners car that was Dyno'ed just a couple of weeks prior to mine, laid down 280 rwhp Bone Stock with the Factory Tune! So to my total amazement I thought that there must be something wrong with this tune for me to loose this much power.

Common Sense would tell anybody if a car equipped the same as mine produces in stock trim 280 rwhp, in the same exact weather conditions, then with this IPF Tune installed, according to IPF, my car should have had a 10% increase in power, which would put me closer to 300 rwhp easily! However that did not happen.

As soon as I left the Dyno Shop I then got a call from my friend whom installed the IPF Tune and asked me how I did with the Dyno and I told him, further I asked him if he would remove the tune if I came by his house, in which he did. I further told him I would call Jesse the next day, as it was already to late in the evening to call him that day!

Now the fun begins, I called IPF 3 different times and nobody answered the phone, except a Voice Mail service, in which I left 3 different messages! In addition to that, I further called Jesse's Cell Phone and got a Voice Mail, in which I also called that number 2 times, plus also left 2 Voice Messages for Jesse to call me back! Now it has been since January 18th since I did the Dyno on my car, but today is January 30th and still no returned phone call back to me!

So, there you have it, as I have no idea what is going on and do not have any other answers for any of you out here, just the fact as I surmised initially and that is Unless you have someone locally that can Dyno Tune your vehicle for the Area of which your car is in, meaning Altitude and Ambient Weather Conditions, you will only get a hit and miss Off The Shelf Dyno Tune, verses if you had the vehicle Professionally Dyno Tuned.

You will in no way achieve 100 % of the engines full capability on it giving you the most power you deserve for the money you have spent on that particular tune! As for what I actually paid for my Tune in my car, that was going to be worked out between me and Jesse on a different type of Deal, which at this time, has not happened!

BTW, I was asked how this tune was doing in my car from another member of Camaro 5 and I tried to let others know what happened, but I was asked by one of the Administrators of Camaro 5 to not post anymore in that particular section of Camaro 5 and told me to bring my information over here where it belongs! So, there you have it guys! I am now back to square one on obtaining a True IPF proven tune for my car, down here in South Florida!
My Link Navigation
K&N Panel Filter
Lumar/Pro WindowTint

Last edited by wyd_trkr; 01-31-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
The stock car you're comparing your car to was an automatic or a manual? Cars differ so comparing your car to another car isn't really a good basis. Ideally, to be sure you lost power you should have done stock baseline pulls and then put the tune in and tested then.

Click Picture for Build Thread
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
RatRacer

Drives: 11 Synergy Green LS 15 Colorado Z71
Sounds like you need to go see Matt @ Florida Speed & Power in Bradenton, since you are in South Florida and he's an IPF dealer.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
wyd_trkr

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
The stock car you're comparing your car to was an automatic or a manual? Cars differ so comparing your car to another car isn't really a good basis. Ideally, to be sure you lost power you should have done stock baseline pulls and then put the tune in and tested then.
Both 2012 Camaro LFX's were A6 's .
My Link Navigation
K&N Panel Filter
Lumar/Pro WindowTint

Closed Thread