Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
comiskeybum
Banned

Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
The automatic tranny trend with the new camaro

Ive noticed that a lot of the people who have got a new camaro on this website and also in my town are buying automatics.

A few are v-8 with the tapshift. someone here in town got a v-6 automatic.

i have not seen in person someone driving a manual 2010 camaro.

has that old stupid " you gotta have a manual or your not a man " attitude gone away?

cuz i drive automatics because i live in a big city with traffic and many of you gave me crap about it. well who's talking now?

if i got a new camaro i would get the automatic. yanno why? cylinder deactivation! and i for one think tap shift is pretty cool.
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
DanielleAnne

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 75 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiskeybum View Post
Ive noticed that a lot of the people who have got a new camaro on this website and also in my town are buying automatics.

A few are v-8 with the tapshift. someone here in town got a v-6 automatic.

i have not seen in person someone driving a manual 2010 camaro.

has that old stupid " you gotta have a manual or your not a man " attitude gone away?

cuz i drive automatics because i live in a big city with traffic and many of you gave me crap about it. well who's talking now?

if i got a new camaro i would get the automatic. yanno why? cylinder deactivation! and i for one think tap shift is pretty cool.
HOOT HOOT
I have been dealing with this crap for a while and im not a dude, but it is only .3 seconds slower, and with proper adjustments to power, there is no real issue. ITs easier and more comfortable in town. I can drive a stick, doesnt mean I have to
Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
comiskeybum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleAnne View Post
HOOT HOOT
I have been dealing with this crap for a while and im not a dude, but it is only .3 seconds slower, and with proper adjustments to power, there is no real issue. ITs easier and more comfortable in town. I can drive a stick, doesnt mean I have to

exactly!! driving a stick in the city is a pain in the ass!! .3 seconds means nothing to me. i dont race on a track!! id rather have conveinence.

and correct me if im wrong but the manual v-8 does not have cylinder deactivation. that feature is way cool for road trips
Old 06-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
I don't have any issues driving in the city, even through San Francisco standstill traffic through the heart of the city. Nothing that would make me want an auto over a manual.... and my clutch is heavy as hell!!!

I can see if your an older person with joint problems (or worse) that you would opt for an auto tho.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
The Camaro's automatic apparently is quite good, which is extra surprising since the G8's automatic has been criticized as being slow to shift. No such complaints for the Camaro. In fact, many reviews I read preferred the automatic. It is just good for an automatic. GM does make pretty good slushboxes.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
comiskeybum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
I don't have any issues driving in the city, even through San Francisco standstill traffic through the heart of the city. Nothing that would make me want an auto over a manual.... and my clutch is heavy as hell!!!

I can see if your an older person with joint problems (or worse) that you would opt for an auto tho.
well everyone is different. i just cant stand constantly shifting gears in traffic not to mention the clutch pedal.

and im 28 years old
Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
comiskeybum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
The Camaro's automatic apparently is quite good, which is extra surprising since the G8's automatic has been criticized as being slow to shift. No such complaints for the Camaro. In fact, many reviews I read preferred the automatic. It is just good for an automatic. GM does make pretty good slushboxes.
ive heard that as well. im gonna test drive one as soon as the demand dies down and they actually have them sitting on the lot! still filling pre-orders from what i hear. the v-6 here in town is the only one ive seen purchased off the lot
Old 06-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I wanted an automatic...until I learned how to drive a manual...
Old 06-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post

for doing that on the cobra clutch, you get respect points from me. i've lived in cities w/ traffic too but usually avoid the morning rush. manual is a pain, but you can do it
Old 06-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
diddiyo

Drives: .
manual for me thanks.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #11
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I wanted an automatic...until I learned how to drive a manual...
After I learned how to drive a manual transmission car, I was very gung-ho to drive only stick-shift. However, even in my young age my knees are pretty awful (6 years of cross country, track and field, and marathons catching up to me) and I drive in traffic-heavy Los Angeles. Still not sure which way I'll go.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #12
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleAnne View Post
, but it is only .3 seconds slower,
Uhhh...... it's .1 sec. FASTER 0-60 and .1 sec slower in the 1/4 mile by average in the rags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comiskeybum View Post
A few are v-8 with the tapshift.
ALL the V8 autos have tap shift.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:11 AM   #13
Boogie832
12-08-08 Arrived 06-02-09

Drives: 1967 Camaro Richmond5-speed
The auto tapshift is pretty good, but what I've found out is that it is rather hard to shift while turning............my wife has a BMW Mini Cooper with tapshift on the stick.......you can shift it while turning........I like that. I wish my Camaro had a tapshift option on the shifter as well!

Ordered 2SS/RS IOM,12/08/08.
Arrived at Dealer 06-02-09
Brought Home! 06-09-09
Boogie832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:23 AM   #14
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie832 View Post
The auto tapshift is pretty good, but what I've found out is that it is rather hard to shift while turning............my wife has a BMW Mini Cooper with tapshift on the stick.......you can shift it while turning........I like that. I wish my Camaro had a tapshift option on the shifter as well!
If the shifter was on the slush box/stick, then I would have gotten the automatic.. However since it is on the steering wheel, I would simply not use it as much as it would be annoying to only be able to shift when not turning.. I've had automatics my whole life and recently learned to drive stick shift.. It is not hard once you figure it out and adds to the excitement of driving. I know everyone's different, and some of you already went thru the manual fun stage and want to move on from it.. I can understand that if driving a manual no longer is "fun".. Especially if you live in a city where there is lots of stop and go. In either case, it is a great car regardless and don't worry what other people tell you about this..