Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #57
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
You only need to cut the hoses long enough to reach from the catch can to your intake connections..

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #58
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
I would make few inches from " Near the intake manifold end" save much of oem as possible. GL some other have posted you tube video can't think of member maybe he chime in.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #59
DFWHD

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13FastBlkSS View Post
You only need to cut the hoses long enough to reach from the catch can to your intake connections..
I'm talking about where to cut into the existing vacuum line that is on the car now.
DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #60
DFWHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman2 View Post
I would make few inches from " Near the intake manifold end" save much of oem as possible. GL some other have posted you tube video can't think of member maybe he chime in.
Makes sense now

Thanks for the quick replies guys!
Old 06-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #61
Chevyman2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWHD View Post
I'm talking about where to cut into the existing vacuum line that is on the car now.
Few inches where goes into engine !
Old 06-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #62
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
Quote:
I'm about to order one of the Elite CCs and am wondering about where to cut the hose. I've looked over the instructions and also looked at my engine to get a better idea. Do I make one cut or two on the exiting line? And where on the hose is the best place to make the cut? Near the intake manifold end or closer to the back of the engine compartment.

Sorry for the dumb question, I'm not too mechanically inclined...
this video will answer any questions

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282243
Old 06-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #63
DFWHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman53201 View Post
this video will answer any questions

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282243
Excellent - thanks for posting this link. It looks easy enough now.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #64
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
my bad lol

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #65
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
Quote:
Excellent - thanks for posting this link. It looks easy enough now.

no problem, i just found it today while asking the same questions as you
Old 06-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #66
DFWHD

Elite Catch Can Installed Today

I've had my Camaro for exactly a year last week, and have only put 3500 miles on her. I went ahead and had the oil changed last weekend and today I installed my Elite CC. I followed the instructions in the video referenced above that was posted by 45thCamaro, using the same tools he recommends, including the tube cutter which I had laying around and I have to say it was an excellent tutorial for this - many thanks 45th! As some others have mentioned in these forums, I ordered a spare PCV line to have on hand if I need to go back stock. Thanks to Maureen at Rodgers Chevrolet, she was awesome to work with to get the PCV line (it was much cheaper through her than anywhere else).

Now for the dreaded hiss... When I first started the engine after the install, the hiss kicked in loud as hell after the warm up. I mean really loud, even though during install I wrapped the hose barb fittings with Teflon tape (about 5x around) and tightened them down into the CC. Where I spliced into the PCV line, I slid the new hose over about two inches of the stock PCV line on both ends and used the delivered hose clamps. I let it run for a few minutes and there was no CEL, so I shut the engine off, double checked the connections and found no leaks. Started her back up and revved her for a few minutes and the hiss suddenly diminished to barely audible. It's there, but barely noticeable and with the hood closed, not noticeable at all. I may look into swapping the hose that came with the CC to something more rigid down the road, but for now I'm fine with it.

Here are a couple of pictures of the install, very clean! Thanks to all who have posted their experiences, it made this very easy. Now on to a CAI around Christmas!
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #67
whaler

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
I am shopping for a catch can, but noticed that there are breather hoses on both banks of cylinders, the other side (drivers) being fed even earlier on in the intake than this one where the catch cans tap in. Is it not necessary to catch oil from the other side of the engine or am I missing something?
Thanks.

USA #1
PS 103
whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #68
wtb

Drives: 2013 1LT Blue Ray Met
My Two Cents

This image depicts a typical PCV system. If viewing as if from the rear of the engine it illustrates an arrangement such as used on these V6 Camaros. On the passenger side valve cover the PCV valve is connected to the intake manifold. This is downstream of the throttle plate which would cause it to be at a negative pressure or vacuum state with respect to the upstream side. This vacuum pulls the engine crankcase vapors from the crankcase and allows them to be taken into the cylinders for burning during the combustion process. At the same time, another hose is connected from the driver side valve cover to the upstream side of the throttle plate which would be at atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi). This fitting is located between the air filter and the throttle plate which allows clean air to be drawn into the engine crankcase as the vacuum removes the vapors. During normal or part throttle when vacuum is high the process works well enough to satisfy the Feds. At wide open throttle, pressure drop across the throttle plate is low and crankcase ventilation relying on engine vacuum is less effective. Since WOT is not usually sustained for long periods, sufficient ventilation is usually enough to get by with this arrangement. But at WOT, a larger volume of oil spray and vapors is created due to the high rpm whipping action of the rotating parts within the crankcase. If this gets to be more than the system can handle, it can be forced out both the driver’s side hose into the air intake and the passenger’s side PCV hose into the intake manifold. The driver’s side hose often contains a baffle of some type to counter this, but sometimes a little oil will make it to the air intake.

My catch can does capture some oil, but I simply monitor my air intake side occasionally for any signs of oil there. If it becomes a problem I may add some type of can to remedy that. So far, so good!
Attached Images

wtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #69
whaler

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtb View Post
This image depicts a typical PCV system. If viewing as if from the rear of the engine it illustrates an arrangement such as used on these V6 Camaros. On the passenger side valve cover the PCV valve is connected to the intake manifold. This is downstream of the throttle plate which would cause it to be at a negative pressure or vacuum state with respect to the upstream side. This vacuum pulls the engine crankcase vapors from the crankcase and allows them to be taken into the cylinders for burning during the combustion process. At the same time, another hose is connected from the driver side valve cover to the upstream side of the throttle plate which would be at atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi). This fitting is located between the air filter and the throttle plate which allows clean air to be drawn into the engine crankcase as the vacuum removes the vapors. During normal or part throttle when vacuum is high the process works well enough to satisfy the Feds. At wide open throttle, pressure drop across the throttle plate is low and crankcase ventilation relying on engine vacuum is less effective. Since WOT is not usually sustained for long periods, sufficient ventilation is usually enough to get by with this arrangement. But at WOT, a larger volume of oil spray and vapors is created due to the high rpm whipping action of the rotating parts within the crankcase. If this gets to be more than the system can handle, it can be forced out both the driver’s side hose into the air intake and the passenger’s side PCV hose into the intake manifold. The driver’s side hose often contains a baffle of some type to counter this, but sometimes a little oil will make it to the air intake.

My catch can does capture some oil, but I simply monitor my air intake side occasionally for any signs of oil there. If it becomes a problem I may add some type of can to remedy that. So far, so good!
Thanks, this is great info and answers my question.

USA #1
PS 103
whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #70
Chevyman2

After taking the rear pcv orfice out its now apparent why the flow can be heard.
Attached Images