Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #29
Georgianne

Drives: chevys
[QUOTE

I ain't skeered [/QUOTE]

I think I may be after reading this!!!!
Georgianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #30
smike07

Drives: 1998 convertible Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
I can't speak about the headers, but do you really think the plugs will be that bad? Half the engine isn't hiding under the cowl like the 4th gen. It looks pretty open under there.
I can only get to a couple of the plugs from the top of my Camaro, and it's only a V6. I hate changing the plugs in it, but judging by the pics of this G8/Commodore, the crossmember, cats and headers are really in the way. Granted I'm not scared, I just hate dealing with pointless bullsh!t. I've torn my engine all the way down to the block, ported and polished the heads, lower intake, plenum, and messed with countless other things on that car, and I still dread changing the plugs. I'll still do it, I just appreciate when things are easy. I hope you're right and I'm just looking at it from the wrong angle, but it looks pretty tight.
smike07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #31
smike07

Drives: 1998 convertible Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
i am amazed that any engineer thought that was a good idea.
I'll agree, it's pretty irritating, but it helps with weight distribution.
smike07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #32
Kahlis
Gotta love this shit!

Drives: 1981 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
at least the battery will be in the trunk like the G8 and as for taking the wheel off on a dodge i had to do that to get to the BATTERY in my stratus .

I just bought a 2002 Intrepid,.. same damn thing. I even said to my wife, "who's freakin' brilliant idea was that?"

Another example of f*cked up design. I owned a 2004 Hyundai Sonata a couple years back. The freakin' oil filter ran horizontal and over the cross-frame. No matter, and I mean no matter what you did, you spilled oil everywhere. I ended up getting shop rags and stuffing them on top of the cross-frame just trying to soak up what I could. Oh and you can tell from the first oil change the car is purely Korean,... I had to remove a couple layers of skin just to grab onto the damn thing.

1981 Camaro Z28- modded quite nicely !!
2005 Dodge Durango SLT HEMI- my workhorse
2002 Dodge Intrepid SE (wife's new ride)
1997 Polaris Ultra SPX SE- Winter play toy
Kahlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #33
Georgianne

I am beginning to find it very humorous that every salesman I ever talked with and asked about: changing the battery, belts, sparks, and even the oil thought that I was crazy for asking. One of the reasons I love GM is that it doesn't cost me my firstborn to keep it maintained.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #34
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yup, GM has some really low maintenance costs. At my dealership, an oil change is under $30, tire rotation under $10. I would do it myself, but I live in an apartment so I have no place to wrench. I really appreciate low maintenance costs and general DIY friendliness. That is one more thing that will keep me loyal to GM. Its an easy thing to overlook, but it makes a HUGE difference in the ownership experience.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:03 AM   #35
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianne View Post
I am beginning to find it very humorous that every salesman I ever talked with and asked about: changing the battery, belts, sparks, and even the oil thought that I was crazy for asking. One of the reasons I love GM is that it doesn't cost me my firstborn to keep it maintained.
Thats my one of my prime reasons for liking GM too. the cost, of parts and labour to keep a car running are lower than for imports, and the number of visits required are roughly equal, depending on model. Japanesse reliability is conditional, not absolute. Not everyone understands that. But either way, it will cost less to keep a domestic on the road.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #36
Georgianne

I also love to travel to WVA and to the western side of Va. The good o' boys out that way can get a GM part quick if I happen to break down and (most of the time) any time I have trouble I can easily find someone that knows how to fix it.
How many ways do I love the GM product.... That can almost be a new thread!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #37
JustinZS

Drives: waitin on 2010 !!
Anyone been able to confirm true dual exhausts like on that G8 ???
JustinZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:35 AM   #38
Jimbo88mm

Drives: 95 Lumina, 99 Maxima
Quote:
One of the reasons I love GM is that it doesn't cost me my firstborn to keep it maintained.

Quote:
Yup, GM has some really low maintenance costs.

I see you gents have not had the pleasure of working on the LQ1.

My 95 Lumina has one of those. I've changed the plugs (remove upper intake manifold, or cheat by disconnecting an engine mount and rock the engine forward), the battery (its hiding under the windshield washer reservoir), and the lower intake gaskets (not fun).

Work I did not perform:

Alternator: $600 (have to remove the passenger side front wheel and suspension).

Timing belt: $700

Turn signal switch: $300 (breaks every few of years)

Don't even get me started on that stupid "O-ring".

Needless to say, that engine is not a cheap one to keep up. It doesn't help that its in a front driver but I was disappointed once reality hit :(

Despite all this, its been a very reliable car. Had I known, I might have opted for the 3.1 v6.
Jimbo88mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #39
goteegoat
dont feed the trolls

Drives: australian goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by smike07 View Post
I can tell right now, changing the spark plugs on this one will probably not be easier than the Gen. IV. Same with the headers!
If the engine layout/room is the same as the G8 which it should be, your going to be wrong. It will be much easier to change the plugs.

goteegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #40
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Arrow really

The battery in the trunk of the 09 Camaro????
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:38 AM   #41
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro68 View Post
The battery in the trunk of the 09 Camaro????
Hopefully!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:17 AM   #42
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Those shots are from Pedders. There was a guy who claimed to be the head of Pedders USA and was giving us all these tidbits on their aftermarket suspension that was going into the Camaro. He disappeared after asking about becoming a sponser for the site. Dunno why he left or what happened. I'm not assuming anything though. True duals would be great. I love the sound that the Vettes and the Mustangs have, it's very noticeable compared to say a Fourth gen with the Y pipe.