Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
mofosho1321

Drives: Camaro
Good price for a Magnaflow?

Hey guys, I have a V6 RS Camaro and wanted to get a Cat-Back on it and just got a quote from a shop. This is what is included:

Magnaflow TRU-X Pipe (replaces resonator)
Stainless Pipes
2 Magnaflow Bullet Mufflers
2 Stainless Steel 4.5" Double Wall Tips
Heavy Duty Hangers
Installation Labor

Total price for everything is $900. Is this a good deal or should I try to buy it online from somewhere and get it installed at that shop or possibly another shop? Also, if I go that direction, does anyone know the average cost to get that installed? Thanks a lot everyone.
mofosho1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Have you ever heard this setup on another camaro v6?

Reason I ask is because you're probably going to have a loud raspy setup with this. The tru-x pipe will cause rasp since it replaces a resonator, and bullet mufflers will also help it rasp more since they will be considerably louder.

I think for the price, it's okay. Not a bad deal but not a great one either. In installation, you'll probably be looking at 200-300? Depending on the shop rate

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
mofosho1321

Drives: Camaro
No I haven't heard of that setup, but they deal with a lot of Camaros and I don't know much about catbacks, and so that's what they told me they do for catbacks on Camaros. Should I ask for a different set up? I don't want it really loud or anything. I just want a good deep sound for a V6.
mofosho1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
CORSA for catbacks!!!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
If you're already going to be spending that much money and you don't mind it, I'd look into these setups first. Here's what they sound like:

Corsa

Solo

ARK DT-S

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I agree with lscamaro, especially if you are looking for a deep muscular sounding V6.

First off, you must keep in mind that it will not sound like a V8. It may have a good low V8-ish like sound at low rpms and when you start it up, but in the mid to high rpms its going to be much higher pitched.

Now that that is out of the way, I don't think that is the setup you should go with.

To get the deep sound, don't use the Tru-X. Intead, have them install magnaflow part number 11386 at the same location in your exhaust as the stock H-pipe is. It is a dual in, dual out "X" perforated muffler. This will help you acheive deeper sound, and also kill most of the rasp.

I think that change alone will get you more of what your wanting, but know that this setup will still be plenty loud with those bullet style mufflers. If you don't want it too loud you may need to change these a bit to something else, but I say give that a shot.

If you do this, please record it. I'd love to hear it, and hear your impressions.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
If you're already going to be spending that much money and you don't mind it, I'd look into these setups first. Here's what they sound like:

Corsa

Solo

ARK DT-S
No way in hell I'd spend $900 for the custom setup he is decribing, but it would be as, or more aggressive than the exhausts you listed. The ARK DTS while being an awesome exhaust, is a bit on the tame side by itself. The SOLO is the most aggressive of the bunch. Maybe those are more of what he is wanting?

I'm guessing they are going to install custom 2.5" piping, but the OP could save hundreds of dollars by just intalling replacing the existing components on the stock exhaust. Thats what I'd do, cuz I wouldn't want to spend that much lol.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofosho1321 View Post
Hey guys, I have a V6 RS Camaro and wanted to get a Cat-Back on it and just got a quote from a shop. This is what is included:

Magnaflow TRU-X Pipe (replaces resonator)
Stainless Pipes
2 Magnaflow Bullet Mufflers
2 Stainless Steel 4.5" Double Wall Tips
Heavy Duty Hangers
Installation Labor

Total price for everything is $900. Is this a good deal or should I try to buy it online from somewhere and get it installed at that shop or possibly another shop? Also, if I go that direction, does anyone know the average cost to get that installed? Thanks a lot everyone.
While the deal is fair, I would not recommend the tru-X on the V6. As others mentioned, it will most likely end up sounding a bit raspy. A the very least, I would suggest going with the Magnaflow resonated X pipe.

Or if you are interested, we have a great special on the Magnaflow V6 system part # 16583 for not much more than you are paying the shop. The benefit to this is you would have a system you know will sound good, all mandrel bent tubing, clean welds and a lifetime warranty.

Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat back exhaust, catback, houston, magnaflow, price estimates