Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
mailclerk

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
My-Link software is missing

Hello to all,

I just bought my first ever Camaro of the 2013 version along with My-Link Navagation built in. Since then I've been having issues getting the unit to recogize any GPS signal that SiriusXM is transmitting as a two month trial.

Now I beleive/think I'm missing some sort of computer software that should have been down loaded into the My-Link system.

Has anyone had the same problem as I am having now? If I take it to a GM dealership to get it in working order how long do you think the software down load might take I want to get this guy working as soon as possible.

Mail Clerk
mailclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
ScottR

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Metallic 2LT RS
GPS signal doesn't talk to XM and no software download needed. Take it to the dealer, your salesperson should have setup the free trial before you pulled off the lot. Mine complete the process in about 10 minutes.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
ScottR

Btw which Camaro did you purchase? I bought a '13 2LT RS and it actually came with a full year free. It depends on the model for how long the trial last.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
mailclerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
Btw which Camaro did you purchase? I bought a '13 2LT RS and it actually came with a full year free. It depends on the model for how long the trial last.
ScottR,

I too/bought a 2013 2LT RS Camaro as well. The issue I have is getting the Nav system working. All indications are is that the unit can't get any GPS signal including the trial offer for the weather, gas station prices and traffic etc.

I contacted SirusXM and they said my radio is active cuz I do get XM music fine along with AM FM stations. I also asked them to refresh the signal three times and no joy. Why this is happening I can't say.

In addition I talked to On-Star they even tested the turn by turn navagation sent by them to my unit and it appears to work fine. It's just the on board Nav system isn't functioning

What a bummer to say the least! When it was delivered to my credit union rep the prep was done so fast they didn't even mount the front license bracket Even my tires weren't even close to the recommended pressure. For sure I'm not taking it back all the way to Irvine just to correct what they should have done before delivery was made to the credit union. That dealership leaves me NOT much to desire. I'm talking to my tried and true Cadillac dealer in my local area.

Mail Clerk
Old 07-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
CrtRS13

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Tint 2LT RS
Mailclerk, I think I had the same problem. When I picked up my car, I went to try the nav and it was showing my position in Michigan, which is strange since I was in NY.
It was not acquiring any GPS satellites. Also the weather, movie times and gas prices were not showing.
The dealer needed to reload the latest software. Took them a few hours to update. Might have been quicker, but since I left the car at the dealer , not sure when they started.

FYI, at first they only had a 2gb USB drive which was too small. It needs at least 4Gb for the software.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailclerk View Post
Hello to all,

I just bought my first ever Camaro of the 2013 version along with My-Link Navagation built in. Since then I've been having issues getting the unit to recogize any GPS signal that SiriusXM is transmitting as a two month trial.

Now I beleive/think I'm missing some sort of computer software that should have been down loaded into the My-Link system.

Has anyone had the same problem as I am having now? If I take it to a GM dealership to get it in working order how long do you think the software down load might take I want to get this guy working as soon as possible.

Mail Clerk
Hello mailclerk,

You have received some sound information from your fellow forum members. The GPS and Sirius XM are separate and don't communicate with each other. Sirius SM operates alone. If you like, I can check to see if your XM service is active for you. I would need you to private message me your VIN. You can also give your dealer a call about this issue and they will have you squared away in no time.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
mailclerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello mailclerk,

You have received some sound information from your fellow forum members. The GPS and Sirius XM are separate and don't communicate with each other. Sirius SM operates alone. If you like, I can check to see if your XM service is active for you. I would need you to private message me your VIN. You can also give your dealer a call about this issue and they will have you squared away in no time.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Reggie B,

Thank you for responding quickly. You must know my frustration in all of this just like CrtRS13 went through. If I may I want to see if my brothers Cadillac dealership can resolve this issue with out any more conflict. CrtRS13 described my problem to a tee as that is what's happening to my Camaro Navagation system. The dealership obviously didn't prep my car properly before it was presented to my auto rep at the credit union. In addition I also noted my tires were under inflated pretty bad (12 LBS under) and the front license plate bracket wasn't mounted! They obviously preped my car on a Friday! I already contacted SiriusXM about this issue and they told me my unit is active as the My-Link system in my car indicated as well. I can get XM music just fine along with AM/FM signals. The only issue is why my Navigation system can't pickup any GPS signals!!

Yours Truly,

Mail Clerk

Last edited by mailclerk; 07-06-2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: correct misspelled words
Old 07-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrtRS13 View Post
Mailclerk, I think I had the same problem. When I picked up my car, I went to try the nav and it was showing my position in Michigan, which is strange since I was in NY.
It was not acquiring any GPS satellites. Also the weather, movie times and gas prices were not showing.
The dealer needed to reload the latest software. Took them a few hours to update. Might have been quicker, but since I left the car at the dealer , not sure when they started.

FYI, at first they only had a 2gb USB drive which was too small. It needs at least 4Gb for the software.
Weather, movies, gas and traffic are part of XM and NOT part of the navigation unit. You need to pay XM to have these features.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
CrtRS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Weather, movies, gas and traffic are part of XM and NOT part of the navigation unit. You need to pay XM to have these features.
It, is part of xm, But it needs to connect to the nav satellites to be working so it knows your position.

This is taken right from the chevy website:

Your Chevrolet MyLink† system is your best resource on any trip you take. With SiriusXM Travel Link†, available through a three-month trial with the Chevrolet MyLink with Navigation system, MyLink becomes an even greater resource while you’re on the road. Get up-to-the-minute weather reports, current gas prices at nearby stations, even movie times and listings in your area. The “Points of Interest” feature will direct you to local pharmacies, grocery stores and restaurants whether you are close to home or miles away. The available Chevrolet MyLink with Navigation system also makes reading and following maps on the touch- and center cluster screens much easier with arrows directing you along the 2-D/3-D onboard maps. SiriusXM Travel Link helps you make smarter decisions while you’re driving, making every trip you take that much better.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
mailclerk

Hello to you all,

I want to keep the Chevy Customer Service fluid right now. My brother sent and e-mail to his rep at the caddy dealership and with in ten minutes they already responded! Considering their closed on Sundays that's what I call service! Anyway this coming weekend/saturday I'll be first in line to get all this behind me and in addition have them apply Cilajet paint coating.

Mail Clerk
Old 07-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
ScottR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrtRS13 View Post
It, is part of xm, But it needs to connect to the nav satellites to be working so it knows your position.

This is taken right from the chevy website:

Your Chevrolet MyLink† system is your best resource on any trip you take. With SiriusXM Travel Link†, available through a three-month trial with the Chevrolet MyLink with Navigation system, MyLink becomes an even greater resource while you’re on the road. Get up-to-the-minute weather reports, current gas prices at nearby stations, even movie times and listings in your area. The “Points of Interest” feature will direct you to local pharmacies, grocery stores and restaurants whether you are close to home or miles away. The available Chevrolet MyLink with Navigation system also makes reading and following maps on the touch- and center cluster screens much easier with arrows directing you along the 2-D/3-D onboard maps. SiriusXM Travel Link helps you make smarter decisions while you’re driving, making every trip you take that much better.
I don't have the Nav option and I get weather, gas, etc. it does not require the $700+/- navigation upgrade to get these.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
CrtRS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
I don't have the Nav option and I get weather, gas, etc. it does not require the $700+/- navigation upgrade to get these.
I stand corrected then. Thanks for the update.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailclerk View Post
Hello to you all,

I want to keep the Chevy Customer Service fluid right now. My brother sent and e-mail to his rep at the caddy dealership and with in ten minutes they already responded! Considering their closed on Sundays that's what I call service! Anyway this coming weekend/saturday I'll be first in line to get all this behind me and in addition have them apply Cilajet paint coating.

Mail Clerk
mailclerk,

I am happy to see you are in contact with the Cadillac dealership and I am sure you will be taken off. Be sure to keep us updated on the progress and if there is anything we can help with along the way.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
SXM_Help

Drives: N/A
Hi there -

Sorry to hear that some of you are having difficulties with your radio and its services. If have any any questions, feel free to send us an email with your contact info to sxm_help@siriusxm.com and we'll be happy to answer them there.

Thanks,
SiriusXM Digital Care Team
SXM_Help is offline   Reply With Quote