Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
CarlZL1

Drives: Camaro 2ss
Battery Tender without outlet

Hello everyone!

I just bought my Camaro SS this summer and it will be my first time storing it during the winter. The self-storage facility unfortunately does not have an electrical outlet for my battery tender. I was wondering could I hook it up to a portable battery supply (which I will bring home and recharge weekly)? I heard disconnecting the battery is not a good idea because it resets all the electronics.

Please advise and thanks in advance!
CarlZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Is there anyway to go with the solar panel to charge it
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
CarlZL1

Drives: Camaro 2ss
Unfortunately no. The area is enclosed completely and won't have access to sunlight.
CarlZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
angryv6
Lake Erie Monster

Drives: 02 Hyundai Santa Fe and 13 300
This^^^
angryv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
VR Code R6P

Drives: 2011 Race Red GT500 w/ SVT Perf Pkg
Just go drive it once a month when the roads are nice and dry. It is better for the car than sitting all the time.
VR Code R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
1sicss

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs
stored mine in a storage unit last year, no tender needed just go and start it about once a week, not good to let a car sit for months with out starting them.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Goober
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sicss View Post
stored mine in a storage unit last year, no tender needed just go and start it about once a week, not good to let a car sit for months with out starting them.
It's not a good idea to just start a car once a week unless you drive it for a while and let it get to full operating temp. It is actually better to not start the car at all. At least this is what I've heard. Tender is the way to go.
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Netraa

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs
Here is a better idea... Move down to Texas. Last year, I was driving around in my convertible with the top down in January in short sleeves.
Netraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
1sicss

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs
Goober
Quote:
It's not a good idea to just start a car once a week unless you drive it for a while and let it get to full operating temp. It is actually better to not start the car at all. At least this is what I've heard. Tender is the way to go
all I know is the longer a car sits the more the oil left in the top of the motor drains to the pan making for a dryer start , I also let it run until it got to operating temp, and moved it back and forth inside the unit(shifting the auto trans thru the gears) and drove it on days the streets were clean and dry. this year she's home sweet home in the garage
Old 10-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
LS1hawk

Drives: 11 SGM 2SS/RS
Don't start it once it's stored. If you really want to keep the battery charged take it with you. Not too hard to set the time and date in the spring.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
It's not a good idea to just start a car once a week unless you drive it for a while and let it get to full operating temp. It is actually better to not start the car at all. At least this is what I've heard. Tender is the way to go.
You heard correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sicss View Post
Goober all I know is the longer a car sits the more the oil left in the top of the motor drains to the pan making for a dryer start , I also let it run until it got to operating temp, and moved it back and forth inside the unit(shifting the auto trans thru the gears) and drove it on days the streets were clean and dry. this year she's home sweet home in the garage
Getting it out and actually driving it, is the way to go.

Without getting everything (engine oil, trans fluid, and even exhaust system) up to operating temps, you run the very real risk of just causing more long term wear.
Cold temps and initial start ups will create condensation in the fluids and exhaust system.
If you don't get the fluids up to temp, that condensation will lead to sludge creation.
And condensation is bad for the exhaust system as well.

Starting it up and idling, or even moving it back and forth inside the unit will not get everything up to the proper operating temps.

If you can't get the car out and drive it for a good 10-15 miles, your better off just letting it sit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1hawk View Post
Don't start it once it's stored. If you really want to keep the battery charged take it with you. Not too hard to set the time and date in the spring.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Disconnect the battery, its not going to hurt anything. Yes, you will have to reprogram your clock.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #13
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Battery tender without outlet is like party without hot girls, "worthless".
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
Disconnect the battery, its not going to hurt anything. Yes, you will have to reprogram your clock.

I would agree with this unless you need to pass emissions. When you pull your battery all of that gets rest and you need to do a lot of driving cycles to pass again. Much simpler to just put a tender on it.

Note I am talking about people who are modded and tuned
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote