Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Brandonmos

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
OEM catch can sucking up oil??

So ive had my OEM catch can on since it came with the car in April with no issues. I installed an AIRAID cai about 2 months ago and was checking the oil and noticed it was a bit low- so i added half a quart and drove on with my day!

2 days ago i start getting low oil level on the DIC- i got to check (cold and warmed up but off) and the dipstick alternately reads no oil and overfilled (yes i wiped down each time) i decide with the continual low level warning ill add a quart. btw i hate the dipstick. Low level stayed away for the rest of the day.

Yesterday i get the warning on the DIC again and i check levels again and the stick is dry. i flip shit. added a quart (at this point i am fearing an overfill) and do not drive the car at all. made it to the dealer today and i was 2.5 quarts low STILL.

Dont seem to have damaged much and the mechanics (all 8 crowded around) don't know whats going on either but one noted a high amount of oil in the catch can line and the catch can soaked with oil inside (not full of just coated). His theory was the airraid is pulling a higher vacuum than the stock air box and is pulling oil??

Any ideas? anyone?
Old 11-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature

Drives: 13' Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP 1 of 76
I installed a roto fab CAI, when I could no longer have the factory catch can I removed. Gonna buy a RX CAN. Can u see if the inside of the CAI had a oil residue or coated? Also look at throttle plate. Let us know.

2013 CHEVROLET CAMARO 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
VOGGS-LS3-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Can you put the factory intake back on and see if the oil consumption remains the same?
Old 11-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Brandonmos

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
im going to pop the intake off and the amount of oil on the butterfly should tell me instantly whats goin down with this motor- ill update once i get it off
Old 11-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
You have to look at the spot on the stick that is completely covered in oil on both sides. Sometimes when you reinsert the dipstick some oil gets on the upper portion of the cross hatch pattern.

I agree, they need to quit making them black.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
willc1980

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
i always use the three round indents on the other side of the dip to check oil instead of the cross pattern
willc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
KlugSS

Are you sure the line off the oem catch can isn't blocked or kinked?
Make sure it's still venting, if you ever plug the vents on the crankcase or restrict the flow it will use oil.