Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
camaromaybe
CamaroBaby

Drives: Silver 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Unhappy No Brake Control in snow

I have a 2010 2LT RS. Everytime I drive it in snow, if I lose tire traction, I also lose complete control over my brakes.

As soon as my tires hit a patch of ice while I'm braking, the brake pedal starts to vibrate so forcefully that I can barely keep my foot on the pedal.

I drove a 2000 pontiac grand am in the snow for 5 years and never experienced anything similar. It scared me so much that I just stopped driving it during the snow but after donating my pontiac, I'm afraid I won't have that option this year.

Anybody have any idea if this is normal or know what might be the cause of it?
Old 11-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Your ABS is kicking in because the loss of traction. You need winter tires.

The All Season Pirelli's are terrible in snow.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromaybe View Post
I have a 2010 2LT RS. Everytime I drive it in snow, if I lose tire traction, I also lose complete control over my brakes.

As soon as my tires hit a patch of ice while I'm braking, the brake pedal starts to vibrate so forcefully that I can barely keep my foot on the pedal.

I drove a 2000 pontiac grand am in the snow for 5 years and never experienced anything similar. It scared me so much that I just stopped driving it during the snow but after donating my pontiac, I'm afraid I won't have that option this year.

Anybody have any idea if this is normal or know what might be the cause of it?
When you hit the ice and are on the brakes there is no traction and your brakes lock up. This activates ABS which is the vibration you are feeling. The computer is pumping the brakes trying to regain traction.

Your Pontiac was front wheel drive so it was a totally different animal in the snow. With rear wheel drive you have to be a lot more intentional about everything. Slow down sooner, accelerate more gradually. You need to slow way down and come off the brake pedal before turning. Winter tires help and well.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Bpw72

Drives: 2011 camaro ss convertible 2ss/rs
Unless you have put different tires on your car you probably don't even have all season tires, you have summer tires. Summer tires are not even good when it's cold let alone when there is snow on the road.
Bpw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
camaromaybe
CamaroBaby

Drives: Silver 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Thanks for all of your responses! I was experiencing this with the stock Pirelli's. Not sure if they were all weather or summer tires. I bought a new set of all weathers this spring (can't remember the brand). Hopefully they'll fair better, if not then I look into getting a set of snow tires.

I was primarily concerned there was something wrong with my braking system(I know very little about cars). At least it sounds like there's nothing wrong with my baby. You guys are the best! :-)

Tags
brakes, no control