Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 02-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #15
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-52 Guns View Post
Theragtopguy, What is DD?
Pretty sure it stands for Daily Driver.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #16
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
My 3/36 runs out in about 2 weeks. I do have the GMPP to cover me for 2 more years or 60,000 miles. I also have a letter from GM extending my top warranty till August 2016 or 82,000 miles because of the 2 broken 5th bows I had. I am feeling comfortable with that coverage.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #17
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandron263 View Post
My 3/36 runs out in about 2 weeks. I do have the GMPP to cover me for 2 more years or 60,000 miles. I also have a letter from GM extending my top warranty till August 2016 or 82,000 miles because of the 2 broken 5th bows I had. I am feeling comfortable with that coverage.
How hard was it getting the warranty on your top? Does it state it covers the frame and cover too? I requested one today for my top and frame replacement.
He said he should know something in a week.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #18
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
How hard was it getting the warranty on your top? Does it state it covers the frame and cover too? I requested one today for my top and frame replacement.
I think that during the initial "fury" of the top problems, it may have been a little easier for a component coverage letter. This comes only from an escalated Tier II complaint and/or maybe from a dealer request. Mine was issued for coverage to 9-2017 and/or 87k miles and covers the top as well as multiple other things.

As far as an extended warranty goes, you'll hear arguments for on both sides. For myself, I just purchased the GMPP for an additional 4 years and additional 32k miles (I only have 16k after 3 years right now) for $700. Hopefully I'll never have to use it, but it gives me piece of mine knowing if the HVAC, HUD, or other high dollar item goes out i'm covered as well as some of the perks if i'm out of town traveling.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #19
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Your LT is about to lose it's warranty. I've got the perfect fix for you.

You should drop an LSX454R in there. Your transmission won't work for you anymore, so I'd recommend upgrading to a race-prepped transmission. Follow that with a ZL1 driveline from Chevrolet Performance, but before installing it, you need to grab the 3.91 gear from the 1LE. Before you put it all back together, upgrade to some 1LE sway bars, which will require new lower control arms from a new Camaro. You'll want some Whiteline bushings for this install. All this torque might lead to some chassis movement, so you could consider Hotchkiss or BMR chassis-stiffening components. Before you put the wheels on, complete your suspension upgrade with new coilovers. The stock wheels are heavy, so replace those with some forged performance wheels from Tire Rack and put some really sticky tires on them. Before you lower the lift, you'll want to install some beefy long-tube headers and a complete exhaust system, including high-flow cats. Also, consider installing a JRE race scoop. You can lower the lift now to install your cold-air intake into the supercharger you've bolted onto your 7.4L monster of an engine. Don't forget to stick a ported throttle body and larger intake manifold in there.

I hope this solves your warranty problem.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #20
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I think Pony is correct in his reply. For me it was easy to get I asked the service manager at my dealer and he put in the request with GM for me and I got the letter in the mail a few days later. I got it on the first request now my dealer Paddock Chevrolet is one of the larger volume dealers in the country so that may have helped in the process. I have to give credit to their service department as well they have always tried to do right by me for any work I had done there.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:58 AM   #21
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-52 Guns View Post
My 3 year warranty expires in one month and I have talked to the GMPP folks at length a few times and was told everything mechanical on the top except the canvas is covered.
I had my top replaced (rub marks) 2 months ago (has 1 year warranty) and the 5th bow recall was completed way back when the recall came out.
My car is a summer driver and only sees about 5k miles a year at the most. A new top costs $1,300 plus about $1,000 and is not covered by GMPP.
My thinking is that alot of other things that are covered under the GMPP would have to break to justify the cost of the warranty.
If the whole top was covered or this car was a daily driver then this would be an easy decision. I am leaning towards keeping my GMPP money and rolling the dice.

What do you all think of my logic? I'd appreciate any feedback. I have 30 more days to make this decision.

P.S. What also makes the GMPP attractive is that it is transferable or if you sell the car you can have the unused time refunded. I was looking at the 7 year, 56,000 mile, Major Guard wit zero deductable.
I agree with your logic - and am doing the exact same thing, rolling the dice which are heavily in favor of me with only 6k miles on the clock at almost the 3 year point! :-)
Old 03-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #22
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandron263 View Post
I think Pony is correct in his reply. For me it was easy to get I asked the service manager at my dealer and he put in the request with GM for me and I got the letter in the mail a few days later. I got it on the first request now my dealer Paddock Chevrolet is one of the larger volume dealers in the country so that may have helped in the process. I have to give credit to their service department as well they have always tried to do right by me for any work I had done there.
I'm still in the process of getting my top replaced. I asked for a complete top including the frame. They only want to replace the canvas. Since I told them the frame is the real root of the problem and my warranty will expire in May, they gave me a component coverage letter on my "top". They said it covers the complete top and is good for 5 years from when it was issued. This was last fall, before they ever replaced the top.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #23
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Lots of very good advice and information in this thread even though I don't have a convert. Might consider the GMPP also in the future.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #24
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
Lots of very good advice and information in this thread even though I don't have a convert. Might consider the GMPP also in the future.
As a side note; Make SURE you shop around for a GMPP online or with a C5 vendor that'll give you a deal. There is a HUGE difference in pricing of these plans.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #25
Ramblewood98

Drives: 12' 2LT RS Rally Yellow 'vert
What recall was there for the top...I don't recall GM ever issuing one
Ramblewood98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #26
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post
I think that during the initial "fury" of the top problems, it may have been a little easier for a component coverage letter. This comes only from an escalated Tier II complaint and/or maybe from a dealer request. Mine was issued for coverage to 9-2017 and/or 87k miles and covers the top as well as multiple other things.

As far as an extended warranty goes, you'll hear arguments for on both sides. For myself, I just purchased the GMPP for an additional 4 years and additional 32k miles (I only have 16k after 3 years right now) for $700. Hopefully I'll never have to use it, but it gives me piece of mine knowing if the HVAC, HUD, or other high dollar item goes out i'm covered as well as some of the perks if i'm out of town traveling.
WOW! That's pretty darned good. I do have a few questions for you, however, will which hopefully fill in the blanks, please.

1. Which plan did you purchase? The "Major Guard" or the "Value Guard"?

2. From whom did you purchase your GMPP? Through the gmppdirect.com website / speak directly with the rep. or did you purchase your GMPP through your / a dealer?

3. Do you have a deductible? If so, what amount?

4. Did you negotiate the price you paid down from X $?

I only have 4,400 miles on mine and the gmppdirect.com site is quoting me $1246 for 48 months / 32k miles for the "Major Guard" plan.

The quote for the "Value Guard, for 48 months / 32k miles is $1091 (both quotes are for a 0$ deductible and INCLUDE sales tax). See the screen shot below.

Of course, I haven't yet attempted to negotiate with either gmppdirect or a dealer, but I for one, and I'm confident others here, may be very interested in this.

Would appreciate your further insight.
Attached Images

3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #27
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post
As a side note; Make SURE you shop around for a GMPP online or with a C5 vendor that'll give you a deal. There is a HUGE difference in pricing of these plans.
Pony, great advice. I did this on a Mercedes C230, saved over $1,000 iirc. If it's coming from GM and the same product no matter from whom you buy it, it makes sense to shop around and get quotes. If I were to do it, would PM Becky Doyle at Rogers Chevrolet - she sold me the car for a very, very good price and I'd expect the same for the warranty.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #28
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Well I have never had a single issue with my top,its been perfect from day one,but its a good idea to get a extended warranty just in case at that $