Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #43
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
I know I'm cross-posting here and in the 5th bow issue for the third time!! thread, but as both contain posts regarding what is or is not covered by a GMPP extended warranty, I thought I'd post in both.

Despite having spoken with a GMPP representative last week about what, specifically, the GMPP covers in reference to our 5th Gen. Camaro Convertible tops, and despite having been assured that everything except the actual cloth or vinyl top would be covered, the uncertainty of everyone involved in any "reply department", including several different documents stating certain parts of the convertible top either are or are not covered, in conflict to what was explained to me by the GMPP rep., has started me thinking in the direction of divesting myself of my 'vert this Summer.

Once my 'vert is out of warranty, my choices are to either battle GM to repair the top or at least for assistance in repairing (a) KNOWN problem(s) with 2011 / early 2012 MY convertible tops or, pay for the repairs myself. I don't want to pay a couple of grand to repair a problem only for another problem to arise (such as being told the top or 5th bow repair / replacement had no bearing on the water management bags leaking).

In order to sell my 'vert once a top problem develops, I'd have to pay (what I'm confident would amount to a healthy sum) for repairs out of pocket or let it go as-is. The car only has 4,500 miles on it. Either way, I'd be taking a loss.

The ambiguity and unwillingness of everyone who is able to provide a reply to this issue is not inspiring my confidence and it's beginning to look like too much of a risk, to me, at least.

Sometimes it's better to cut ones losses before they continue to grow larger.
Baba, what you say makes perfect sense - sadly. This is something I will need to consider as well. Mine has 6,250 miles.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #44
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
I know I'm cross-posting here and in the 5th bow issue for the third time!! thread, but as both contain posts regarding what is or is not covered by a GMPP extended warranty, I thought I'd post in both.

Despite having spoken with a GMPP representative last week about what, specifically, the GMPP covers in reference to our 5th Gen. Camaro Convertible tops, and despite having been assured that everything except the actual cloth or vinyl top would be covered, the uncertainty of everyone involved in any "reply department", including several different documents stating certain parts of the convertible top either are or are not covered, in conflict to what was explained to me by the GMPP rep., has started me thinking in the direction of divesting myself of my 'vert this Summer.

Once my 'vert is out of warranty, my choices are to either battle GM to repair the top or at least for assistance in repairing (a) KNOWN problem(s) with 2011 / early 2012 MY convertible tops or, pay for the repairs myself. I don't want to pay a couple of grand to repair a problem only for another problem to arise (such as being told the top or 5th bow repair / replacement had no bearing on the water management bags leaking).

In order to sell my 'vert once a top problem develops, I'd have to pay (what I'm confident would amount to a healthy sum) for repairs out of pocket or let it go as-is. The car only has 4,500 miles on it. Either way, I'd be taking a loss.

The ambiguity and unwillingness of everyone who is able to provide a reply to this issue is not inspiring my confidence and it's beginning to look like too much of a risk, to me, at least.

Sometimes it's better to cut ones losses before they continue to grow larger.
This does make a lot of sense.....I have about 25K on the Silver Streak and even though I really haven't had issues with the top or 5th bow, I do have the 'v' wear marks and think it is only a question of time before I need to do something about it. I probably will trade it before the warranty runs out on a newer SS convertible.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #45
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
Baba, what you say makes perfect sense - sadly. This is something I will need to consider as well. Mine has 6,250 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
This does make a lot of sense.....I have about 25K on the Silver Streak and even though I really haven't had issues with the top or 5th bow, I do have the 'v' wear marks and think it is only a question of time before I need to do something about it. I probably will trade it before the warranty runs out on a newer SS convertible.
Thanks, guys. I've been thinking really hard about this the last couple of days and haven't yet decided what I'm going to do. I really like my ''vert and have had virtually no problems with my top (nor the tonneau cover) except for the "waves" above both doors.

I wonder whether the GM Certified Pre-Owned warranty covers all of the top components? I'll have to research that. If it does, the car would essentially have 4 years of complete bumper to bumper coverage. Why not extend that extra year of coverage to orginal owners only, and make it applicable only to the top?

As you stated, it's probably a matter of "when", rather than "IF", a problem develops.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #46
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Thanks, guys. I've been thinking really hard about this the last couple of days and haven't yet decided what I'm going to do. I really like my ''vert and have had virtually no problems with my top (nor the tonneau cover) except for the "waves" above both doors.

I wonder whether the GM Certified Pre-Owned warranty covers all of the top components? I'll have to research that. If it does, the car would essentially have 4 years of complete bumper to bumper coverage. Why not extend that extra year of coverage to orginal owners only, and make it applicable only to the top?

As you stated, it's probably a matter of "when", rather than "IF", a problem develops.
No problems here yet, Baba. Just adjustments needed so far.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #47
Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
No problems here yet, Baba. Just adjustments needed so far.

I mean, I really love my 'vert. I got 3 compliments on it today with the top down. That's never happened since I've owned it.

I may just take a chance on her. The top is good. The tonneau is good and she's helped me to get laid. What more can a guy ask for (except an SS, 1LE, ZL1 or Z28)?
3 Pedals

Old 04-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #48
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I just got notified today my request for an extended warranty on my top has been approved. Happy camper here!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #49
Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I just got notified today my request for an extended warranty on my top has been approved. Happy camper here!
OUTSTANDING, my friend.

How many top replacements have you had? Two?
3 Pedals

Old 04-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #50
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
OUTSTANDING, my friend.

How many top replacements did you have? Two?
Just one....
Old 04-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #51
Baba

Nonetheless, that's a SIGNIFICANT guarantee. May I / we know how many months / miles your top warranty is good for?
3 Pedals

Old 06-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #52
Baba

As my bumper to bumper warranty is expiring on July 30th, it's time for me to start shopping for the extended warranty.

I just got off the phone with Allen (the owner of the Caddy dealer) from www.gmoutlet.com He stated to me that neither the convertible tops NOR ANY of the frame components are covered. Period!

The only things relating to the top that are covered are the electronics and hydraulic components.

Price quoted for a General Motors EXTENDED Warranty (the "new" GM plan):

Term: 60 months
Deductible: $0
Miles: 40k miles
Total Cost: $875.00 (there are no fees or tax).

I also just got off the phone with a rep. at gmppdirect.com and he also stated NO CONVERTIBLE TOPS OR FRAME COMPONENTS are covered. Only computer / electronics and hydraulic motors. Period!

Cost for a General Motors Protection Plan - Platinum (gmppdirect.com):

Term: 60 months
Deductible: $0
Miles: 40k miles
Total Cost: $1,632.00 (includes any fees and tax).

As the 'vert was paid for when I drove it off the dealer's lot and I don't want another car payment and really enjoy the 'vert for what I was hoping for and wanted out of it, I'd be significantly better off getting the top replaced out-of-pocket at a Chevy dealer and receive a GM warranty on parts, labor, workmanship and it'd still be less than a year's worth of car payments.

Common sense would dictate I buy the plan through Black Cadillac, have the 'vert's other systems and parts covered and take a chance on the top. Either that, or get rid of the car - and I enjoy it too much to do that, especially since it only has 5,400 miles on it.

Thanks "pony" for the tip on gmoutlet.com - the price is stellar - as you indicated it would be.
3 Pedals

Last edited by Baba; 06-29-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #53
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Nonetheless, that's a SIGNIFICANT guarantee. May I / we know how many months / miles your top warranty is good for?
Sorry I missed your question before, my coverage was just extended one year or 12,000 miles over the basic Bumper to Bumper warranty. I asked why not longer, they said because my issues were not as extensive as some have been, but if I encounter more problems I can request an extension of this coverage.
I hope that helps.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #54
Baba

No problem. The conflicting replies as to whether the frames for the convertibles were covered is enough to rip out the sparse follicular remnants I have left. One person at GMPP says "yes" it's covered, others say it's not. Ultimately, one has to believe what the GMPP "agreement" states.
3 Pedals

Old 06-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #55
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
No problem. The conflicting replies as to whether the frames for the convertibles were covered is enough to rip out the sparse follicular remnants I have left. One person at GMPP says "yes" it's covered, others say it's not. Ultimately, one has to believe what the GMPP "agreement" states.
I believe that GMPP does not cover the top or frame from what I was told. At least the component coverage letter spells it out the it is covered, but that is a whole different animal.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #56
Baba

I decided to purchase a GMEPP (General Motors Extended Protection Plan) today from www.gmoutlet.com

Current mileage on my Camaro Convertible: 5543

72 Months
48k miles
$0 Deductible

= $1200

Initially, I was going to opt for a $100 deductible but thought about a few visits (4 to 6?) to the dealer over the course of the 6 years - even if repairs are covered, at $100 a clip and I'll have paid nearly twice as much as the GMEPP cost me. I figured I'd just opt for a $0 deductible, be done with it and not have to shell out $100 each time I require covered repairs.

The price they offered was outstanding. I didn't even attempt to negotiate with them. Fair is fair and I believe this is more than fair considering what I paid the Saturn dealer for an extended warranty on my AURA 3.6 and what a couple of my local dealers or www.gmppdirect.com quoted me / were offering (see my post above).

I'm covered for the next 6 years as I'll probably not even come close to the 48k miles between now and then. And, when the 6 years is up, with all likelihood, I'll be able to renew the plan.

Thanks again, "Pony" for this great tip. Else, I would've paid nearly twice as much by going through one of our local dealers or www.gmppdirect.com
3 Pedals

Last edited by Baba; 06-28-2014 at 07:12 PM.