Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 06-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #99
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post

This was my first time at an actual track, so my racing lines are a bit MEH, but this was the most fun I've ever had (with clothes on), and am hooked
I remember that feeling when I discovered tracking, and become addicted before I knew what was happening. Before I knew it I was modding what I had been sure I would leave stock. Ok I'll do suspension but no way am I touching my interior. Oops, out go the seats and in go a rollbar, Sparco seats, a six point harness. Hey, did I really put a huge freakin wing on my car? LOL, now I know what people meant when they said it is a slippery slope my friend.

But hey, maybe your addiction won't be as bad as mine.

Congrats!
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #100
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Does anyone keep a drivers log? If so, what do you use and what info do you log. I am asking because I was reading info on different HPDE/track day organizations and remember seeing it mentioned and I am planning on hitting the track this weekend.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #101
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
They are used by various organizations to be filled out by an instructor to track the drivers progress and skill level. An instructor will often read your log to get a feel on how to further coach a driver. Also used for assessing advancement. Just my $0.02.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #102
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Nothing is stopping anyone from designing their own logbook for setup notes and observed car behavior. Make it as simple or as extensive/inclusive as you please.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #103
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
I made my own log on an excell spreadsheet. I included tire temps, tire pressure, alignment settings, weather, fluid temps and brake temps as well. I just Print out a bunch and take them to the track. I fill one out every time the car comes off track.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #104
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
What tire pressures (cold and hot) is everyone running?

When I was at MSR Housing last month (first track event), I was told to get the tire pressure up to prevent the sidewall flexing on the wheel. I was running at about 35 psi cold and getting up to 40. When the tires really heated up and got over 40 I dropped them back down to around 40. Honestly that sounds high to me. I didn't have any issues on the track but thought I'd see what others are doing?

I'm running the stock ZL1 wheels with the Pilot Super Sports.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #105
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
What tire pressures (cold and hot) is everyone running?

When I was at MSR Housing last month (first track event), I was told to get the tire pressure up to prevent the sidewall flexing on the wheel. I was running at about 35 psi cold and getting up to 40. When the tires really heated up and got over 40 I dropped them back down to around 40. Honestly that sounds high to me. I didn't have any issues on the track but thought I'd see what others are doing?

I'm running the stock ZL1 wheels with the Pilot Super Sports.
You can test the sidewall flex theory yourself by looking at the little Goodyear foot indicators (others have triangles, etc) on the sidewall near where the tread ends. If you are starting to wear the indicator, then more pressure needed. If not close then decrease. Your 35 series tires don't have much sidewall, so if the track made a blanket statement, this may not apply to you.

I was told to run slightly less by the track instructors because the center of wider tires would bulge as psi went up.

I have been asking the same questions and most have responded that they target hot pressures around 36 psi. 40 psi hot is going to be my max I think. It depends on the tire and aspect ratio of course, along with alignment.

Edit Michelins have the Michelin man for the side treadwear see: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=356787&page=2

Last edited by wakespeak; 06-30-2014 at 09:17 PM.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #106
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
36~37 hot is where you want to be. 40 is getting to high & will cause the tread patch to get too greasy & you will start sliding around

I am running the f1 supercars
Old 07-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #107
Jbrick11

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
This may be a dumb question. If you wreck on the track or someone else runs into you does insurance cover the damages? I really want to go to a track day but a little nervous about damage outside of my control.
Jbrick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #108
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrick11 View Post
This may be a dumb question. If you wreck on the track or someone else runs into you does insurance cover the damages? I really want to go to a track day but a little nervous about damage outside of my control.
Good question! I've run with some groups that their policy is if you damage someone else's car you are responsible to get with that individual and come to an agreement on repairing/paying for damages. Your not allowed to continue tracking with that group until it's resolved.

Some insurance companies will pay if the event is considered a school. Their thinking is you become a better, safer driver; however most insurance companies will not cover your car at all if it's on a surface intended for racing. Check your policy it will usually say if it doesn't.

There is track day insurance available at a cost from a few companies. Do a search for track day insurance or I'm sure someone will post a link or name a company shortly.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #109
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
you also pay for repairs to any damages of the track, unloading motor oil on the track, bending armco, tire wall repairs, painting walls.... I was a event leader with a club and had to hand a guy a $300 kitty litter bill as he was loading up his race car that just vented his motor on the straight. Felt pretty bad having to do it, but it wan't coming out of my pocket. HPDE insurance is the way to go. I've never heard about damages to another car, I always assumed you took the risk when your drove it on the track.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #110
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
A lot of killer info on this page. Love the videos and the advice.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #111
STONE SS

Drives: 2010 SS IOM
Thanks for starting this thread guys! It has some really good info. As far as the conversation on brakes that is by far the #1 thing to do before a track day. I had my first HPDE Feb 7-8th at TWS and had a blast, but my brakes faded and I had to drive to the brakes capabilities and not my own. I was running HP+ in the front and HPS in the rear, RBF600 fluid, and 2 piece rotors front one piece slotted rear. My issue was the pads just couldn't handle the heat at all. I had these pads on the car for less than 2 months and they were completely gone by the end of the weekend. I have since gotten XP10/XP8s to run at the track and factory brembo pads for street. Brake ducts and stainless lines will be installed before next event as well. All the suspension or HP changes you can make wont do a thing if you don't feel comfortable pushing the car cause of brake fade.

Another good tip that I found somewhere else in the forums that I used to adjust camber at track was to get the bolts for the front knuckle that go against the strut and used two nuts to lock together so I could mark the street camber before maxing out the strut adjustment. Put the bolt back in and adjusted the strut back against the bolt before heading home. Simple method when you can't afford the camber plates yet.
STONE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #112
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Change out your brake fluid for a high tempature race type break fluid and run your LS3 slightly over filled. I run and extra 1/3 quart.

Tags
brakes, hpde, road course