Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #15
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
Its all about personal driving habits. Everyone is different.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #16
RazorSS

Drives: Looking for an SS
It is a high performance V8 brawler that still nets mid-twenties on the highway. I would say that is no reason for complaints.
RazorSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #17
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Some mighty big claims of MPGs here. I think some need lessons on how to use the MPG calculator in the DIC, to get "true" readings.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #18
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Uumm, what gives? You say you drive a 2011 but under your screen name it says 2014 ss?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #19
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Some mighty big claims of MPGs here. I think some need lessons on how to use the MPG calculator in the DIC, to get "true" readings.
math works pretty well too

the onboard calculations are usually pretty accurate but not always, I still check it by hand occasionally... not that I bought the car for fuel mileage, just a good diagnostic tool.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #20
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
these cars very alot. I get 19-27mpg and I have 3.91 gears. stock I got 29mpg if I kept it at 55. 27 on the highway @75 The only way I could get less then 17 is if I was driving it like a dumb kid.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:40 AM   #21
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
This has been pointed out numerous times before in numerous threads but why even worry about MPG if you own a Camaro? You either want to look cool (Camaro) or cheap (Prius or Volt). It cost extra $$$ to look cool.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #22
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
math works pretty well too

the onboard calculations are usually pretty accurate but not always, I still check it by hand occasionally... not that I bought the car for fuel mileage, just a good diagnostic tool.
Certainly, but I know there are folks who base their mileage claims on very small sample distances. They'll fill up, reset the mpg calculator, drive 25 miles, and check the DIC... "Wow! I get 27 mpgs in my SS!" Not!

You can only hope to be near to accurate by resetting mpgs AND the trip odometer at fill up and drive 'til the tank is almost empty (350+ miles) - then check the DIC reading. Then fill up and divide the trip miles by the number of gallons it took to fill it - compare the difference between the two calculations. They should be pretty close, but they won't be at 27 mpg unless you went downhill all the way at 60-65 mph.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #23
Mwalterhouse

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3
I still average 14.7 in town with my mods including a cam.
Mwalterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #24
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc07z View Post
are you kidding? that bad!! why do these cars have such crappy gas milage
You can always trade it for a Volt!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #25
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Certainly, but I know there are folks who base their mileage claims on very small sample distances. They'll fill up, reset the mpg calculator, drive 25 miles, and check the DIC... "Wow! I get 27 mpgs in my SS!" Not!

You can only hope to be near to accurate by resetting mpgs AND the trip odometer at fill up and drive 'til the tank is almost empty (350+ miles) - then check the DIC reading. Then fill up and divide the trip miles by the number of gallons it took to fill it - compare the difference between the two calculations. They should be pretty close, but they won't be at 27 mpg unless you went downhill all the way at 60-65 mph.
That's pretty much a baseless claim. Just because you cannot achieve something doesn't mean someone else can't. And whether its 25 miles or 350 miles mpg is mpg.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #26
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
Quote:

That's what I did in my example above. ?? I ran it as consistent as I could on cruise control at 75mph with a full tank. 1 extra passenger. I went across a state and back and ran the tank down to fumes. 25 MPG was the result on a bone stock SS 1LE.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #27
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonGPF View Post
That's what I did in my example above. ?? I ran it as consistent as I could on cruise control at 75mph with a full tank. 1 extra passenger. I went across a state and back and ran the tank down to fumes. 25 MPG was the result on a bone stock SS 1LE.
I buy that as a good number. I did the same thing with my wife and our lab in the car, and had upper 23 (not quite 24) mpg with cruise set at 79. My problem is that I just can't stay out of it on an open on-ramp! There was also a good bit of that on a 2 lane with the speed set at 65 and 70. My average for almost the life of the car has been just over 18.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #28
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
That's better than mine. Locally I drive like a whopping 4 miles a day. It's been cold. Speed limits over those 4 miles is 30 mph. So I get terrible mileage locally. My average is sitting around 14.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote