Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
G Money

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2016 Denali HD
Dealer scared to change brake fluid reservoir !

I took my car in this morning to have the reservoir changed due to the TSB and a slight leak and stressed the fact how particular I am about my car and how much I was worried about the fact of brake fluid dripping all over anything that I would rather do the work myself if they would supply the parts per the TSB. They said no problem so I left it there.... 30 minutes later I get a call from service manager at John Miles Cheverolet they decided that it would be better to supply me with the parts rather than risk any damage to paint or otherwise..... I'm happy that they are letting me do it but WOW I thought dealerships were capable of allmost anything....It's just a fluid reservoir. Any thoughts?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I would imagine they took into consideration just how particular you are with your car, and decided that no matter how hard they tried to avoid spilling anything or accidently getting a few drops on your car, they would just rather allow you to change it yourself rather than risk you blowing your top if you found one tiny droplet of fluid that they missed.

by allowing you to change it yourself, they're allowing you to do it to your own satisfaction.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
G Money

I'm assuming they don't have a vacuum pump because its a fairly easy replacement as long as you remove the fluid from the reservoir....
Old 05-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
I took my car in this morning to have the reservoir changed due to the TSB and a slight leak and stressed the fact how particular I am about my car and how much I was worried about the fact of brake fluid dripping all over anything that I would rather do the work myself if they would supply the parts per the TSB. They said no problem so I left it there.... 30 minutes later I get a call from service manager at John Miles Cheverolet they decided that it would be better to supply me with the parts rather than risk any damage to paint or otherwise..... I'm happy that they are letting me do it but WOW I thought dealerships were capable of allmost anything....It's just a fluid reservoir. Any thoughts?
they listen to their customers.. I applaud this dealership
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
revo1059

Drives: Black 2012 ZL1
I'm surprised they would do that. I would think there might be some liability risk involved.
revo1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
G Money

They will only warranty the parts and not the job. Hense the liability issues.....
Old 05-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
What cars does the SB cover?
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
G Money

12 & 13 camaros. The brake fluid reservoir around the seams leaks ever so slightly and some caps leak too....
Old 05-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
I had mine done by a trusted local dealership, no problem.

They even left the clutch spigot uncut since I had put in a GTO Clutch Fluid Reservoir.

I still have a minor weeping problem even after the change; I put in a Plastic Jug spacer
as per a DIY post covering the issue, but still have a very minor amount of seepage from the cap.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Probably don't want to deal with the bullshit afterwards. I wouldn't either.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
beware what you ask for
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #12
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
As a Service Manager of an independent repair shop I probably would've told you to take the business elsewhere, too. I run a top tier shop and don't need reminded about how important a car is to someone, as we treat all cars the same. I wouldn't want my shop "married" to your vehicle over a simple reservoir change because I know when you get home you're pulling out the magnifying glass. Not just on the reservoir, but your wheels, seats, carpets, steering wheel, etc... Anything you think we might have accessed or touched.

I respect that you love your car and I respect that you want it back perfect. But I would certainly rather another shop help you out, personally.
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post
As a Service Manager of an independent repair shop I probably would've told you to take the business elsewhere, too. I run a top tier shop and don't need reminded about how important a car is to someone, as we treat all cars the same. I wouldn't want my shop "married" to your vehicle over a simple reservoir change because I know when you get home you're pulling out the magnifying glass. Not just on the reservoir, but your wheels, seats, carpets, steering wheel, etc... Anything you think we might have accessed or touched.

I respect that you love your car and I respect that you want it back perfect. But I would certainly rather another shop help you out, personally.
Well...That's a pretty arrogant statement regardless of whether your shop treats every car with perfect care or not.

In addition, a dealership is typically not a place that treats vehicles in a perfect, caring manner, and neither are many other shops for that matter. I think there was nothing wrong with the OP expressing his concerns like he did, and it appears that the dealership wasn't 100% confident so they allowed the OP to install his own parts.

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
G Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post

First off you do sound arrogant, second off I got just what I asked for in the beginning and that was to get the parts and replace them myself, third is that they never asked me to take my buisnees elsewhere if they would have they would fit right into your relm....Remember we are talking about a GM dealership, not a Lambo dealer. I'm happy they changed there mind an applaud them for it, I enjoy working on my own cars, I also know that it will be in the same condition when i'm finished as when started.