Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #1625
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
how do you people wear out the buttons on your fobs?

mine are 2 years old get used daily and still look brand new.. do you dig your fingernail into the button instead of using the flat part of your finger?

I see no reason the buttons should wear through unless you are digging at them with your fingernail.

I have had fobs for alarms and keyless entry to my vehicles since the early 1990s and never once had one wear out..
Old 06-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #1626
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
how do you people wear out the buttons on your fobs?

mine are 2 years old get used daily and still look brand new.. do you dig your fingernail into the button instead of using the flat part of your finger?

I see no reason the buttons should wear through unless you are digging at them with your fingernail.

I have had fobs for alarms and keyless entry to my vehicles since the early 1990s and never once had one wear out..
For me, I had to replace it because I looked pretty bad when I got the car back in December. I'm the same as you, I never wear out the buttons on my fobs.

I don't think the fobs are wearing out by use, but where they are kept when not being used. I never keep my car key/fob connected on a ring with the rest of my keys. My Camaro fob goes into that little coin pocket on my pants and the rest of my keys go into the regular pocket. On my other cars, the key hangs inside my pocket, while the fob hangs outside.

At home, my keys he hung on a hook in the kitchen as soon as I come home and at work they sit on my desk.

I still have the original fobs that came with my 2001 Suburban. They look the same as the day they were handed to me.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #1627
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwood View Post
If you read the recall it doesn't matter currently if the dealer can cut blanks. GM is only going to send out cut keys for now and will not be sending out blanks.
Maybe you should call Robbins Chevrolet in Humble and tell them they are FOS then. Because their GSM just informed me yesterday that they have an order of blanks on the way to be cut at their dealership. My car was purchased yesterday at another dealer though and is in my garage as we speak. Brand spankin' new, complete with two switchblade keys that will be handled by one of my local dealers as part of the open recall.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #1628
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
For me, I had to replace it because I looked pretty bad when I got the car back in December. I'm the same as you, I never wear out the buttons on my fobs.

I don't think the fobs are wearing out by use, but where they are kept when not being used. I never keep my car key/fob connected on a ring with the rest of my keys. My Camaro fob goes into that little coin pocket on my pants and the rest of my keys go into the regular pocket. On my other cars, the key hangs inside my pocket, while the fob hangs outside.

At home, my keys he hung on a hook in the kitchen as soon as I come home and at work they sit on my desk.

I still have the original fobs that came with my 2001 Suburban. They look the same as the day they were handed to me.

I'm the same way, there are no other keys on my fob, I hate jingling keys while driving.. I have one of those key ring couplers and attach the house keys to the fob when I hang them on the hook in my kitchen, @ work I have a little tray in the top drawer of my desk for my keys, coins, and money clip.

I don't key anything else in the same pocket as my keys, I hate bulging pockets so I have slim-clip for my cards and cash in one pocket, keys in the other..

But I don't have a lot of keys, 1 for house, 1 for gate, and the car..

still don't see how you can wear out the buttons though..
Old 06-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #1629
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
My dealer says the higher priority are the cars on the road because its a safety recall. Those of us waiting for cars are likely to be low priority.
There is no way in hell that the dealers are going to wait 4-6 weeks to get new keys to ALREADY SOLD vehicles as well as new cars for sale on the lot. GM has already screwed the pooch on this deal and there is no way dealers are going to stand by and loose sales.

Camaro's have been on the road since 2009, and they just now figured out there is a (non) issue? Top priority will be to deliver existing sold cars, the cars already on the road can wait. Once the recall notice is sent out, it is up to the owner to bring in the car, so new keys will not be ordered until the owner requests them.

GM had better at least continue the $1500 rebate for as long as it takes to lift the stop sales order, and if they were smart, they would come up with some extra promotion to stimulate sales of the Camaro....but this is GM, so who knows.....
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #1630
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
There is no way in hell that the dealers are going to wait 4-6 weeks to get new keys to ALREADY SOLD vehicles as well as new cars for sale on the lot. GM has already screwed the pooch on this deal and there is no way dealers are going to stand by and loose sales.

Camaro's have been on the road since 2009, and they just now figured out there is a (non) issue? Top priority will be to deliver existing sold cars, the cars already on the road can wait. Once the recall notice is sent out, it is up to the owner to bring in the car, so new keys will not be ordered until the owner requests them.

GM had better at least continue the $1500 rebate for as long as it takes to lift the stop sales order, and if they were smart, they would come up with some extra promotion to stimulate sales of the Camaro....but this is GM, so who knows.....
Update:

Dealer called me just now to try to get me to buy the 2LT RS that I had been looking at. I asked about when the stop sell would be lifted and she had no answer. She also said that GM would most likely take care of existing cars first, and then non-delivered new cars and new cars for sale on the lot. She then tried to get me to commit to signing a contract and would give me a rental car until the stop order is lifted. NO way this is going to happen for me.... sign a contract on a car on the lot then wait 6 weeks (maybe) to take delivery? No way that is happening for me, rental car or not.. I can wait until the stop order is lifted, as my 2012 runs just fine right now....

If this is how GM is going to handle the situation, I can see a whole bunch of pissed off dealers......
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #1631
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
GM has to be getting the news from what is posted on the forums. They have to be realizing the displeasure of what most feel about what they are planing on these FOBS.

But maybe they could care less what most if us feel about it, I guess as long as they clear them selfs of a potential law suit that's all that matters..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #1632
Solstice X

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS
ToolFan66 that seems to be a huge problem with GM. They should have realized the two car communities you don't mess with are the Camaro and Corvette communities. There are better solutions out there. Why not rework how the key twists. Press the key release button on the fob a second time to hold the key in place to turn the ignition on and once released it rotates freely. That way if you hit it with your knee the fob rotates but doesn't turn off your car.

Secondly, if you want to turn off the car, press the button to stop it from rotating and you can turn it to ignition off. With so many engineers in GM you'd think this would be a no brainer.
Solstice X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #1633
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
I still think having a fob that has the old key taken out is BS, I'm anal about my stuff and this is unacceptable IMO..

If they were replacing both, I would go ahead and get it done. This is the news I was waiting for, I was really hoping they wouldn't cheap out on this, and that's what they are doing, and I really find this more unacceptable for those buying a brand new Camaro..

Way to step up and make it right GM..

I'm really out on getting it done now..
I agree, I don't want a hacked FOB, they can do better than this.

Besides I can't duplicate this "knee hitting the lock" for the life of me.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #1634
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
Now I have to watch Camaro commercials.......and can't pick mine up. HMMMMM...false advertising suit!!

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #1635
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Drives: 13 Ram - 05 Widebody 1050rwhp Vette
I just went Friday and ordered a new key, I only had 1 and it was damaged the other day....I had to glue it together lol.

The key that the order was placed for was a switchblade, $80 roughly, programming not included, I told them I could do it, the smartass at the parts counter told me "wow you are good"....little did he know that one of the guys in the service area just explained to me how to do it lol. And I ordered a new body for the damaged key off of ebay, it was only like $13.

I know its been asked, but I'm not sure if it has been answered.
Will the dealership perform the recall without your consent if you take your car in for service?
nitto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #1636
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
A lot of us, at least close to 85% of us are obviously not happy with how this is turning out. Just remember complaining here or social media probably wont do much. Who knows if GM actually knows how we all feel about it.

Once that recall letter comes, put it in an envelope with a letter of your own and send it back. That's what I'll be doing. Along with pictures of how impossible it is to do what they claim the recall is for.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #1637
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice X View Post
ToolFan66 that seems to be a huge problem with GM. They should have realized the two car communities you don't mess with are the Camaro and Corvette communities. There are better solutions out there. Why not rework how the key twists. Press the key release button on the fob a second time to hold the key in place to turn the ignition on and once released it rotates freely. That way if you hit it with your knee the fob rotates but doesn't turn off your car.

Secondly, if you want to turn off the car, press the button to stop it from rotating and you can turn it to ignition off. With so many engineers in GM you'd think this would be a no brainer.
Easier solution I posted earlier in this thread, twist the key blade so the key sits in the started position and an absolute 12-6 position (total vertical), or even better a 1-7 position as on a clock. The position it is in now will turn off if hit, because of the 10-4 position it is in.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #1638
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
A lot of us, at least close to 85% of us are obviously not happy with how this is turning out. Just remember complaining here or social media probably wont do much. Who knows if GM actually knows how we all feel about it.

Once that recall letter comes, put it in an envelope with a letter of your own and send it back. That's what I'll be doing. Along with pictures of how impossible it is to do what they claim the recall is for.
So many wrongs here. \

84% doesn't mean they are not happy, just that they are keeping their current key.

Complaining in social media does quite a bit, probably not in this case, but yes GM actually knows and monitoring this thread.

Recall letters are sent all the time. Why is this one so special that you would go to those lenghts? It doesn't mean you must go get your key swapped. It just a way to formally notify you so GM is completely covered against any lawsuits if you your knee kills your car and causes a wreck.

No one is being forced to change their keys, so no one should be unhappy.

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall