Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

View Poll Results: Why aren't young adults interested in sports cars?
No money 38 46.34%
Family requirements (son, daughter, etc) 3 3.66%
Don't like cars 15 18.29%
I like pie 26 31.71%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2014, 06:02 AM   #15
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
A lot of young adults live in cities, where it's not just impractical to own your own car it's prohibitively expensive: insurance, parking, upkeep. They tend to go to school near or in cities and they tend to work in or near cities.

There is a great reverse migration back to cities right now. I have been wondering what happens when they find that walking three block to the corner store and back with two bags of groceries or taking the groceries on a bus or in a cab gets to be a little much, or when supermarket delivery or pizza night is no longer a good option- what then? Then what happens when jr comes long? ZipCar, rentals, cabs, the bus...all modes of transportation but when I need to go somewhere I can get in my car and go. I'm not on anyone's schedule but mine.

Years ago, a car equaled freedom, you could go where you wanted and do what you wanted. When your world gets smaller you don't need that degree of freedom. Suddenly someday someway that world will expand for most of these young people.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:25 AM   #16
Gary24

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I LOLed at the "I like pie" option. My choice of course. Just kidding, no money is my thought. I remember when I was young I loved the IROC z28 but couldn't afford one.
Gary24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #17
floyd haughton

Drives: 2010victoryred2lt
a lot of young folks don't have the $$ plus ins I think but was @ a car show where there was a few young folks w/ older Camaros mustangs and was interesting talking to them
floyd haughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #18
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
When I first got into cars, you could work on your own car with limited tools and knowledge going into it. I pulled and rebuilt my engine in my garage. You just can't do that anymore.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #19
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Mostly its money. When you could get a decent paying job straight out of highschool (or even while in highschool) getting a new car in your teens/20s was fairly easy. When its hard to get a decent job with a 4 year degree, coupled with the massive debt associated with earning that degree ... very few people in their early 20s can even think of buying a new car.

When I was in university, most of my friends thought sports cars were cool. We all had different tastes, some liked European super cars, others fancied Asian tuners, and others like American muscle. Few of us were what you would call gearheads or even enthusiasts, but all the same, we still thought they were cool & we all wanted something. Its just that when your debt upon graduation exceeds the price of a lightly used Evo ... its going to be a while until you can buy anything remotely cool.

Family isn't it because the average age of marriage (and having kids either in or out of marriage) has been trending upwards for the last few decades. Again -look at post secondary enrolment rates of now vs 50 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Cam_SS View Post
We live in the ME GENERATION ... Kids today wanna post their mug shot on facebook every 5 minutes. Narcissist facebook drama as replaced everything else. Sad ...
Right ... and nobody has ever bought a big, loud, obnoxious car just to say "hey everybody, look at me!". Its just that a smart phone costs a whole lot less than a car, thereby enabling a lot more people to do that kind of thing.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #20
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp23rockstar View Post
I always wanted to know why today's youth isn't interested in sports cars? Actually second that, why aren't they in to cars in general? Is it that all cars today look the same? Is it the cost of the cars? Is it family requirements so they can't get a two door car? Just want to hear some opinions on this topic.
...because we can't afford them?

ATPs keep going up every year. Couple that with brutal insurance rates for younger people and rising fuel prices and most kids out of high school or college aren't going to be able to afford to drive anything sporty for a while.

If you talk to most young people they'd love to be driving something like a Corvette or Camaro, there's just no money to do it yet.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #21
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
My Opinion - We live in a different time. The Muscle Car era was a fairly "new thing" when it began in the mid '60's. Factory high performance really took off during this period. It was aspirational at the time to have a muscle car. We have many more choices today. There are other things today that are aspirational you the younger generation - the muscle car is not really one of them.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #22
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
...because we can't afford them?

ATPs keep going up every year. Couple that with brutal insurance rates for younger people and rising fuel prices and most kids out of high school or college aren't going to be able to afford to drive anything sporty for a while.

If you talk to most young people they'd love to be driving something like a Corvette or Camaro, there's just no money to do it yet.
This is why the cheap import scene for teens and young adults is growing. They're cheap to buy and modify.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #23
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
they probably grew up with parents who didn't have them. look how many camaro's and firebirds were sold in the 70s and 80s compared with the last two decades.

Last edited by AZCamaroFan; 07-13-2014 at 10:41 AM.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #24
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
As mentioned already. Probably cant afford them anymore. Think about it, some sports cars can fost as much as a small house.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #25
GreaseMonkey

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro
Why aren't young adults into sports cars like years past?

We can't afford them , But I'm one of the lucky few to be able to enjoy one ! Most kids would love to have a nice car but for the majority it's what's cheaper / what their parents will pay for .
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #26
Sapphire

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
honestly, it has to do with money. I was blessed to come out of college and not be in debt! like what others have said, back then it was easier to come out of high school and get a fairly nice paying job and get a muscle car. you didn't have to worry about gas prices and I have a feeling it was easier to work on the engines back then and make it the way you wanted.
now it seems like you have to have a college degree and even then, when you go out to find a job, people demand at least 5 yrs experience! For most people college = debt. also the little hybrids sound more appealing because of gas prices they way they are now.

edit: I do see hope in the near furture. Dodge just announced the Hellcat. I feel like there will be a new battle between the muscle cars now!

Last edited by Sapphire; 07-13-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #27
notmidlife

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
I agree with the all of the above post. Another huge factor was the death of the 2 door coupe and the adoption of the mini-van. In the early 80s, when I turned 16 there were several cheap ( 2 door sporty looking) used cars available that could be fixed up easily and driven. My first car was my Dad's 76 Monte Carlo ( paid like $ 500), fixed some rust, bolted on a 4 barrel and added some tires and a stereo. Caught the bug and stayed with me.

Generation after me ( looking for cheap used ) had a selection of mini-vans and smallish front wheel drive sedans. Kind of hard to get passionate about them,they were functional and boring to drive and really did look like crap. The point A to point B mentality took over.

Fast forward another decade and the used cars are Hondas and Toyotas that run 200,000 miles retaining their valve longer making it more expensive to buy used and one helluva lot harder to repair and mod. The used market will always dictate the entry of new car enthusiasts.

$4 dollar gas, insurance payments higher than car payments and the lack of decent jobs for younger people has not helped either. I'm really glad we have as many younger Camaro owners as we do ! The new market has been building some nice looking cars for the last five years. If gas does not break $ 10 per gallon, we will have a whole new generation of "car people" in 10 years.
notmidlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #28
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmidlife View Post
I agree with the all of the above post. Another huge factor was the death of the 2 door coupe and the adoption of the mini-van. In the early 80s, when I turned 16 there were several cheap ( 2 door sporty looking) used cars available that could be fixed up easily and driven. My first car was my Dad's 76 Monte Carlo ( paid like $ 500), fixed some rust, bolted on a 4 barrel and added some tires and a stereo. Caught the bug and stayed with me.

Generation after me ( looking for cheap used ) had a selection of mini-vans and smallish front wheel drive sedans. Kind of hard to get passionate about them,they were functional and boring to drive and really did look like crap. The point A to point B mentality took over.

Fast forward another decade and the used cars are Hondas and Toyotas that run 200,000 miles retaining their valve longer making it more expensive to buy used and one helluva lot harder to repair and mod. The used market will always dictate the entry of new car enthusiasts.

$4 dollar gas, insurance payments higher than car payments and the lack of decent jobs for younger people has not helped either. I'm really glad we have as many younger Camaro owners as we do ! The new market has been building some nice looking cars for the last five years. If gas does not break $ 10 per gallon, we will have a whole new generation of "car people" in 10 years.
Excellent points -- you are correct.

I would say this: I did work 3 jobs when I was younger (started when I was 14) in order to do the things I wanted to my car -- all restaurants or gas station jobs (pump monkey;o). None of them offered full time work, but I wanted to 'pay to play' so I did what I had too. I would agree about 'great jobs', but if you really want something and are willing to do what it takes, you will find a way make it happen -- even if it means taking a job that you feel is beneath you. All a matter of perspective. Dream big and don't let anything stop you -- my parents called it 'being driven to succeed'...

I do that today, I took a second job in order to 'pay to play' -- not easy I assure you, but I took what I could find and did what I had to do to make it happen. I believe that is in everyone -- just need to bring the 'inner drive' out and let it roar...
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote