Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #15
Supreme Leader
Account Suspended

Drives: MANual
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedOUTSS610 View Post
I live in PA - Media is awful - good luck!
Ya. Just wondering what do you find awful about it? And btw this is temporary.
Supreme Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #16
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscamaro View Post
Check out SEPA5 in the northeast section. We do something every month.
This!
Name:  IMG_0137.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  181.4 KB
Old 08-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #17
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
We get that down here a lot and we frequently remind people I95 has a northbound lane.

People always say the folks in rural areas are uneducated, but most of the biggest fools I've ever met are from urban areas.

I'm sure the ShoeMe folks won't miss you.
It's funny I have to go North to find individuals of the "Deep South" mantra.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Only thing thats terrible about Philly is you have to be around delusional Flyers fans who still live in the 1970s glory years. Also, they somehow think that Claude Giroux is a great player, such a cute world they live in. Great ass grabber perhaps....
Old 08-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #19
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Leader View Post
So I live in Missouri but I will be moving to Pennsylvania to a town called Media. It is a suburb of Philadelphia. It's gonna suck because here all the roads are wide and open with no traffic and it is the opposite there. Plus thugs roam wild. Also I'm downgrading from a big 3 car garage to a 2 car garage with a downhill driveway coming in. A cool thing is that PA doesn't require a front license plate so I will be taking that off and they let you have 7 characters so I have good options on the vanity plates. Anyone here live in the Philly area? Hopefully I'll see some nice rides around but I suspect it will be more small compact cars and Prius's. There's gonna be some new asphalt to tear up!

Thugs run wild? LOL. Did you visit Media beforehand? Media is a great little town. Yes, there is a lot of traffic and the roads are anything BUT wide open, but it is very safe. I built all the traffic signal intersections from I-476 to Orange Street along Baltimore Avenue/Baltimore Pike. I'm very familiar with the town, and you are going to FALL IN LOVE with the Trader Joe's there. I strongly recommend you check that store out as soon as you get there.

Philly has a severely undeserved bad reputation. It is a very safe area. All the crime in Philadelphia is confined to a handful of neighborhoods on the outskirts of the city that 95% of the population has absolutely no business being in. I have lived in this area for 8 years and know it very well as I am a heavy highway contractor and drive all over the place for roadway improvements. If you need any recommendations about the area I can give you some.

You will NOT be able to tear up the roads around here. 90% of roads are 35 mph and under, no shoulders, the worst pave jobs you've ever seen, a traffic light every 400 feet and cops everywhere. PA local cops DO NOT use radar, so radar detectors are useless. They use VASCAR timing, and highway speeds are often "ENFORCED BY AIRCRAFT." Get used to paying tolls, too. A lot of them.

The radio station I suggest you tune into is 93.3 WMMR, particularly from 6:30AM to 10:30AM M-F for the Preston and Steve morning show. This is the biggest favor I can do for you. Trust me.

The East Coast mentality is very different from where you are. We aren't assholes. We just HATE WAITING. Everything here moves at twice the speed as you move. If you go to a restaurant and it takes more than 25 mins to get our food we get annoyed. If you drive the speed limit, we get annoyed. If we wait in line, you get annoyed. It moves FAST around here, faster than anywhere else in the country. Go with the flow and learn to move your ass and everything is great. Drive 35 mph in the left lane, walk down the street at half a mile an hour staring at your phone texting and blocking foot traffic and not paying attention in line and you're going to get a boot up your ass. It isn't rudeness, it's character. It's off-putting at first but you get used to it. After awhile, you'll take a trip back home and get annoyed at how slow everyone moves. You'll start accusing everyone else as being lazy once you get used to our lifestyles.

Get used to Priuses with Obama bumper stickers.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #20
RedRaven

Drives: 2012 2SS M6 CRT
I don't plan on retiring to the North, but...

Lived in the rural south all my life. Get tired of the "over-educated" in the local university community though. Been to PA, NW of Philly, Spring House area. Friendly people for the most part. Rednecks are everywhere in the world!

PS: The roads do suck! Two seasons: Winter, and Road Construction.
Attached Images

First real car: 1968 Malibu, '67 283, Canary yellow
RedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #21
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Only thing thats terrible about Philly is you have to be around delusional Flyers fans who still live in the 1970s glory years. Also, they somehow think that Claude Giroux is a great player, such a cute world they live in. Great ass grabber perhaps....
They don't call it Shitsburgh for nothing. That town's been in death throws since the coal industry packed up and left PA decades ago.

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/lif...s/201407240149

The 'burgh ranked below Detroit.

Philly gets all the state's tax money for a reason. It's still alive
Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #22
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven View Post
My family moved to Florida 17 years ago when I was 8, parents are wanting to buy a house up North when they retire and only have a condo down here
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #23
Swacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
They don't call it Shitsburgh for nothing. That town's been in death throws since the coal industry packed up and left PA decades ago.

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/lif...s/201407240149

The 'burgh ranked below Detroit.

Philly gets all the state's tax money for a reason. It's still alive
LMAO, I do believe you meant steel industry. Coal still exists, and its more natural gas drilling now.

And of course you need the tax money, gotta keep the police paid in order to keep the 'hood' under control hahaha

Its nice to see how easily a button can be pressed for s#%s and giggles. haha
Old 08-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #24
Supreme Leader
Account Suspended

Drives: MANual
Ya in the are where i live sometimes there are helicopters flying over the highway that report offenses to highway patrol.
Supreme Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #25
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
LMAO, I do believe you meant steel industry. Coal still exists, and its more natural gas drilling now.

And of course you need the tax money, gotta keep the police paid in order to keep the 'hood' under control hahaha

Its nice to see how easily a button can be pressed for s#%s and giggles. haha
Actually I meant both. Pittsburgh steel yes but everything in between coal. The trip from Philly to Pittsburgh is the definition of depression. If you've ever looked at how PA divides up its tax money something like 90% goes to Philadelphia County. It's insane.

I've been to both cities and Philadelphia is a much nicer city than Pittsburgh economically and socially. Philadelphia is very safe, up-and-coming and getting better every day. Pittsburgh is seriously a depressing town. At 4pm the entire city is completely dead. There is nothing to do in that town. Philly never sleeps. It has some of the best restaurants in the entire nation, countless bars of all calibers and the population in the surrounding areas is exploding. Foot traffic is huge - at 2pm or 2am it is crawling with life. I'd say the night life is just as packed as the day life. If you truly think Philadelphia is a dangerous or depressed town you've never been there. Center City District is beautiful as well. There is a lot of new construction throughout the City. Just in the 10 years I've lived here it is incredible how much nicer everything is. You should actually spend a night here instead of reading newspaper headlines from 1993.

OP your attitude will change once you actually move to the area. Once you see how nice it is to actually have infrastructure, world class dining and countless things to do you'll blow your brains out moving back to Missouri. I hear the locals call it Misery
Old 08-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #26
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Actually I meant both. Pittsburgh steel yes but everything in between coal. The trip from Philly to Pittsburgh is the definition of depression. If you've ever looked at how PA divides up its tax money something like 90% goes to Philadelphia County. It's insane.

I've been to both cities and Philadelphia is a much nicer city than Pittsburgh economically and socially. Philadelphia is very safe, up-and-coming and getting better every day. Pittsburgh is seriously a depressing town. At 4pm the entire city is completely dead. There is nothing to do in that town. Philly never sleeps. It has some of the best restaurants in the entire nation, countless bars of all calibers and the population in the surrounding areas is exploding. Foot traffic is huge - at 2pm or 2am it is crawling with life. I'd say the night life is just as packed as the day life. If you truly think Philadelphia is a dangerous or depressed town you've never been there. Center City District is beautiful as well. There is a lot of new construction throughout the City. Just in the 10 years I've lived here it is incredible how much nicer everything is. You should actually spend a night here instead of reading newspaper headlines from 1993.

OP your attitude will change once you actually move to the area. Once you see how nice it is to actually have infrastructure, world class dining and countless things to do you'll blow your brains out moving back to Missouri. I hear the locals call it Misery
Strip District, Station Square, South Side, The Point, Oakland, Mt. Washington, etc., etc., etc.. When you "visited" Pittsburgh, did you sleep under a rock? LOL!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #27
Swacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Strip District, Station Square, South Side, The Point, Oakland, Mt. Washington, etc., etc., etc.. When you "visited" Pittsburgh, did you sleep under a rock? LOL!
+1

He probably stayed in the north side. Closest you can get to the 'hood' of Philly hahaha
Old 08-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #28
RedRaven

Drives: 2012 2SS M6 CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
My family moved to Florida 17 years ago when I was 8, parents are wanting to buy a house up North when they retire and only have a condo down here
I wouldn't want to live in Naples. Did some work there 30 years ago before it exploded. Didn't care for it.

But then, I like trees...

First real car: 1968 Malibu, '67 283, Canary yellow
RedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote