Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #113
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Or the NOS button

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #114
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I thought it was L1 or R1...
I modded my controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Or the NOS button
..i live my live one 1/4 mile at a time..
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #115
lovesboost

Drives: soon to arrive 2010 rs/ss
any idea on when this kit would be available? what psi springs does it have in it? i want to make 550rwhp in my manual.
lovesboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #116
lovesboost

oh and is there enough room for me to fit a 315 on the back still with the turbo piping in the back?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #117
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesboost View Post
oh and is there enough room for me to fit a 315 on the back still with the turbo piping in the back?
Yes!! It is not inside the tire area.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #118
lovesboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
Yes!! It is not inside the tire area.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #119
Todd @ INTENSE

Drives: 2009 PBM G8 GT
We prototyped and built the only (as far as I know) STS setup for the 3800 market a few years ago on a Grand Prix. The setup works and produces some good power. I believe with the universal kit before intercooler the normally 162 fwhp Grand Prix GT made about 320 fwhp and went low 12's on about 9psi.

With the addition of an A2A intercooler the owner has added some more boost and is looking to improve on those numbers. The only problem for vendors wanting to make their own rear mount kits is that STS holds the patent for rear mounting a turbo and their license fees can be expensive.
Todd @ INTENSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #120
lovesboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd @ INTENSE View Post
The only problem for vendors wanting to make their own rear mount kits is that STS holds the patent for rear mounting a turbo and their license fees can be expensive.

excuse my ignorance but how can someone hold a patent on turbo placement? that would be like procharger holding a patent for a front mount supercharger. i can understand the parts used and the design but i fail to see how the location can be patented.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #121
5th Gen SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM and Black/IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesboost View Post
any idea on when this kit would be available? what psi springs does it have in it? i want to make 550rwhp in my manual.
They can set up the kit to whatever psi boost that you want. The 2nd kit going out is getting installed on my 2SS/RS M6 in the 1st to 2nd week in September. We are going to run at 7psi. 550 to 600rwhp is what is expected for 7psi.
5th Gen SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #122
dannkimmel

Drives: 1lt,rjt,m6 &2004 harley
i have to ask..what do you guys think will happen in the winter time?
i dont want to run my car in the winter but the fact is sometiumes the winter car gets laid up and it might have to get me to work.
im intersetd in a set up for the 6....
on trac to order 10/01/10 1lt
upstate ny.
dannkimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #123
Jericho
Come see me.

Drives: Chevrolet Line-up
Send a message via Yahoo to Jericho
Quote:
Originally Posted by y-knot View Post
You guys are some of the worst "Car Guy's" I have ever come across. Most seem to know nothing about power adders and a few are darn right stupid. This remote kit, in one form or another has been available for almost 20 years, through an assortment of vendors. These kits were originally installed on higher priced cars, were the owners wanted a very clean and professional looking job, nothing to devalue the price of their expensive cars. Yes, you are most use to seeing hack jobs, where others cram the Turbo's into the hood area, which might seem normal and maybe tough looking. But, the fact is most under-hood turbo installs turn into a lifelong series of troubles. The excessive heat produced by the added and exposed exhaust system and related pieces takes it's tool on surrounding components and they eventually fail. Wiring melts, sensors get out of calibration and under hood temps eventually over-come any real gains. Turbo technology has come a very long way in the last several years. We now have the materials to make turbo charging a very effective and viable means to increase the performance and efficiency of the modern engine. That long route to the back of the car, can easily be over-come with the proper selection of turbines, housings and routing. In a conventional installation, the front mounted Turbo's, route the air forward to the front mounted coolers, then back to the engine. when all is said and done, there isn't that much difference between the length of the intake tubing between a front or rear mounted turbo installation. There is however a difference, between the supply side or hot side turbine distance, which can easily be overcome with the right selection of parts. In the end, the neater looking, cooler, stock appearing engine compartment is better off with the rear-mounted turbo installation. As for the water concerns, there are obvious limitations. You can see that the intake air filters for the system are mounted to collect air from the top of the rear fender wells, you would have to drive through water deep enough to enter the bottom of the car doors before it could enter the air system. If you're really that stupid, to drive your new Camaro through that deep of water, with a new rear mounted, twin turbo system, then perhaps you really don't deserve a car like that? Just a thought… Again, most front mounted twin turbo systems have their air intake systems mounted much lower, with the air filter mounted to the front of each front tire, and below the floor pan......much lower then up in the rear fender well!
I think too many times when one say's there negative comments, like Turbo's belong on V-6's, or Turbo's are stupid or they will have killer lag....What they are really trying to say is " I don't have one or the money to purchase one, so therefore those that do have the means and the cars with the parts, are stupid" or " if I had one it would be the best thing since sliced bread, but because I don't, it's no good" What a lame way to go through life.
Thank you very much. I appreciate all the good information very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbyrne View Post
Your very welcome! It is pronounced t-burn I've been talking to a local customer about possibly having an STS kit installed here after it's released. We need some more turbo cars in this area!

Tom
Hey, how is that STS kit working out?
Vin#30271
Jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #124
dmack2k7

Drives: 02 mitsubishi Eclipse SpyderGT

tired of waiting......
dmack2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #125
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack2k7 View Post

tired of waiting......
It will be worth it!! Trust me on that one!
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #126
5th Gen SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM and Black/IOM
First post has been updated with pics and details.

Last edited by 5th Gen SS; 08-26-2009 at 09:20 PM.
5th Gen SS is offline   Reply With Quote