Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
Right now is the best time to buy if you're buying. Sport cars don't sell in the winter and they need to move old stock for 2015 stuff. You've got the upper hand!
oslouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #16
ShadowLS

Drives: Black LS
I own a cruze eco and a M/T LS... Really, keep the eco if you can. It's very nice knowing I can go on very long road trips and pay pennies for fuel cost, compared to the Camaro. Also, it's a good grocery getter too. The Camaro does fine in the snow here, but the Eco does much, much better. If you can, just keep the eco as the "paid off" car and then buy a Camaro.

I will agree, the Eco is a little, uh... boring. But it's a pretty solid car.
ShadowLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #17
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I don't have to deal with snow anymore but many here claim the Camaro, properly equipped with snow tires, is great in snow. And with the 1LS you won't be sacrificing much MPGs. Even if you were, I'd think it would be worth it.

Get the Camaro and have fun driving again!!!! (Be safe, be smart)
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #18
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
My advice would be to save up and buy a nicer trim although there isn't anything wrong with the 1LS. I bought a 1LS cause I was too eager to wait and save up and now I wish I had.
I didn't wait and ended up getting a 2013 BRM 1LT /RS in Jan 2013 when I kept saying no to every dealer that was pushing V6 on me ! But I really just liked the dealer and how they treated me and I just couldn't wait no more! so I bought it for 34 thousand and then traded it in a year and half later for my SS ! I don't regret getting it but I did want my V8 sound and I only wanted a SS not a ZL1 nor a 1LE ! I enjoyed it and it kept me happy and I loved that car but I just always wanted the SS ! So no matter what you'll be happy , just make sure you get the color you want! You can always trade in for a different model later like me !
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #19
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
Jenner, what makes you say you wished you had saved for a higher trim level? Which trim level would you have gone with instead of the 1LS?
It would've been nice, and cheaper, to have the RS from the start. I had to buy RS headlights and had them installed. At first I thought the interior was good because I drive a 01 civic before, but now that I've seen the leather seats, HUD, MyLink, and small things like that I wish I had waited a couple months and maybe even gone for a SS.
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #20
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
we have both, 2011 1LT and 2012 Cruze RS, both are automatic. One big thing you will notice is fuel economy. My wife gets 40 MPG driving 80 miles highway to work every day. The Camaro is used for pleasure and only gets about 23 - 25 on the highway. The Camaro is a convertible so it is a lot more fun to drive.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #21
SCH

Drives: 2011 Cruze ECO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
It would've been nice, and cheaper, to have the RS from the start. I had to buy RS headlights and had them installed. At first I thought the interior was good because I drive a 01 civic before, but now that I've seen the leather seats, HUD, MyLink, and small things like that I wish I had waited a couple months and maybe even gone for a SS.
I hear you. And in every respect, you're correct - if you had gone with an RS package car, it should have been far less expensive for you in the end.

For myself, however, I don't really care for HIDs, HUD (I've driven a car with HUD, and I found it more distracting than useful), or leather seats. I could see myself upgrading to a MyLink system at some point in the future, but even that isn't a big deal, and I would probably only do it if I found a great deal on an OEM unit.
SCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #22
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
If u want/need the ss just enjoy your cruze till you can afford an SS. If your happy with the v6 but want leather and all that by all means upgrade. But most people that get in my car are shocked to find out it's a completely bare bones model. I had a fully loaded accord before my 14 1LS and all I can say I don't miss the leather, sunroof, heated seats, and nab at all. Camaro all day!

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #23
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
I'd rent one for a weekend and see if you'll really like it.

Last edited by Jfoster; 11-23-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #24
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Trade it in now..... LoL.

I went with the 1LT and RS. Hate leather interiors and didn't want all the bells and whistles. The RS package is worth every penny IMHO though. I daily drive about 600 KM minimum a week.. It makes it so much more fun to commute in the Camaro.

As for the trunk.. yea the opening sucks. I went shopping with a friend of mine who has the new Cruze, and we took my car. After a few items we had to go back to hers and put things in her trunk because I ran out of room. Items I could not easily slide into mine,,, went nicely into her trunk. Its not about the cubic feet, its the access and layout.

She came with me to get my summer tires/rims from dealer after putting my snows on.. we slid two tires stacked into her trunk,. and one into mine and the other on my back seat.

All in all.. I will live with that.. the Camaro wins everything else.

Get white.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #25
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
$19K for an LS? That's cheap! Did that include any incentives or is that just your negotiated final price before any incentives/cash-back/etc…? I'm assuming that price doesn't include taxes/license/delivery/etc…?
MSRP minus rebates and dealer incentive cash. That was the selling price before tax and licensing fees.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #26
SCH

I can't thank everyone enough for all the replies so far - you're insights are great to hear. And please, keep 'em coming.

I should probably explain my situation a bit further:

As I said in an earlier post, I don't have kids. Nor am I married, so I don't have to deal with a spouse who may or may not like the Camaro. I'm the only one I have to please.

My commute to work isn't very far. About 11 miles one way (22 round trip), all of which is done on street routes, although I do sometimes (very seldom) take the highway. All the highway miles I do put on my car, however, are during long haul trips from Detroit to Toronto where my family lives. I tend to head up there around once a month to visit although sometimes I go more often depending on the time of year (spring/summer months).

I have no interest in getting an SS for several reasons. First and foremost of which is that if I went with an SS, it would be a 1LE car and there is no way I would ever drive that in the winter! Which means I would need a daily driver. Second is the fuel economy - not so much in city driving because my commute isn't very long, but more for highway travels.

As a result of my travels to visit family, 2011 Cruze ECO currently has just over 60,000 miles on the clock. So it's getting to the point where I need to decide whether to trade it in, or hold on to it for the long-haul. And while the Cruze has been very reliable, and terrific on fuel economy, it's where boring went to die with respect to driving excitement. Which is why I'm considering the Camaro LS as a daily driver.

I think what's holding me back is fact that I don't have a car payment at the moment, and it's kinda nice not to have one - all I pay on the Cruze is a monthly insurance premium. If I were to go with the 1LS, the insurance premium would only be a few dollars more (literally, $7/month more). But there would also be that pesky monthly finance payment...
Old 11-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #27
SCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
MSRP minus rebates and dealer incentive cash. That was the selling price before tax and licensing fees.
That's what I thought.

And as of right now, the price I have is actually a bit under $19K. So I'm guessing I've got a pretty good deal on my hands.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #28
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
ILS here, with Snows (235/55/18) and with the car's traction control, the car handles great in the snow. I also get better than 30 mpg on the Hwy
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote